Generators and Charging System

Guest Tom Timmins

Guest Tom Timmins

Two questions. Do you determine if a generator turns CW or CCW looking at the shaft end? What is the difference between an "A" and a "B" circuit ?

I took you question and took it one step further. Can one reverse the pulley rotation and get the thing to work? Read on.

Your other question had me stumped so I ask a fellow who has been either a mechanic or auto shop teacher for many years. Here's his response.

Since the angle of where the brushes meet the commutator is not completely vertical on at least some generators, I believe brush wear would be accelerated. The way the commutator is wired is also rotation sensitive, I believe. There's a pretty special relationship between the brushes and the commutator, and I'm pretty sure most, if not all generators are direction sensitive. He also said that you have ask a very good question.

All the generators I have run across turn CW looking at the pulley but I have not seen all generators on all cars by any means. If you could identify the car we could zero in on that.

Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)