Transmission Lock

JayG

Just wondering. When did locking transmissions start to be offered on the DB 4 cyl cars? Were they an option? I see some cars with them and some without. Just wondering if I can put one in my early 25 roadster or did they appear later? It doesn't currently have one. Jay

To clear this one up I can say that the transmission lock was introduced with the 1924 series (commencing serial number 929894). As the wheelbase was increased from 114" to 166" from this number the gear lever design was changed to place it further back. The earlier lever was essentially upright with the top quarter bent backwards toward the driver. The later type is vertical from the bottom quarter and bent back thereafter. The transmission top was also changed from an arrangement where the gear lever was retained by a screwed ring to reliance on a set screw for this purpose. I am not sure if the earlier top will fit the later transmission but if it does there could have been some interchange of bits back in the dim dark past.

Tony - My 25 roadster A169xxx has the transmission top and early lever (bent at the top) that you describe. No lock. I haven't taken it apart yet but it's very sloppy. Having this later tranny available I was going to use it but I don't really want to sway from original for the year. That's why I asked about the lock. Thanks all for the input.

I'm also interested in seeing how difficult it is to remove the cylinder to get it keyed. Jay

The lock is relatively easy to remove. Take off the transmission cover and turn over. The lock is secured by a parallel pin next to it (fitting into a half circular notch in the lock body). Drive out the pin from the bottom and the lock should fall out.

The number is stamped on the bottom of the lock.

A very sloppy lever may be the result of the inner spring not being engaged. This spring surrounds the bottom of the lever which sits below the level of the transmission lid and is tensioned via a washer and pin. The pin goes through the lever and the washer has a rectangular hole. As there is an art in replacing this assembly it often gets left out. The trick is to drive the washer hard down on the lever (cupped side up) so it holds the spring in compression. The pin can then be inserted and the washer released by giving it a sharp tap on the side. The pin is then retained by the cupped side of the washer and the compression of the spring.

• 4 months later...
I can still make keys to fit them and I have the blanks. I need code number and works much better if I have the lock as some are really gummed up and need to be taken apart completely to clean out properly..

Hey PD,

Are you saying that we should sent the lock to you to be keyed?

The lock only operates in neutral. It works by turning a flat ended rod within a slot in the selectors. Great idea! The car can't be driven under its own steam but the thieves can still roll it onto their waiting trailer and make a quick exit. The ignition key performs a similarly useful security function (at least on my magneto fired version). All it does is ground the ignition. Sparks can be restored by simply snipping the grounding wire. The only problem then faced by a thief is how to stop the engine when required (a quick stall perhaps).

Those paranoid individuals amongst us who choose to park their Dodge in doubtful areas might like to consider a length of anchor chain which could be fastened between the car and a suitably immovable object. A large, savage and rabid dog chained to the car might provide a further degree of personal reassurance.

All this is predicated by the assumptions that either:

1. the car is worth stealing, or

2.anyone would actually want it.

With tongue firmly embedded in cheek.

Tony

The lock only operates in neutral. It works by turning a flat ended rod within a slot in the selectors. Great idea! The car can't be driven under its own steam but the thieves can still roll it onto their waiting trailer and make a quick exit. The ignition key performs a similarly useful security function (at least on my magneto fired version). All it does is ground the ignition. Sparks can be restored by simply snipping the grounding wire. The only problem then faced by a thief is how to stop the engine when required (a quick stall perhaps).

Those paranoid individuals amongst us who choose to park their Dodge in doubtful areas might like to consider a length of anchor chain which could be fastened between the car and a suitably immovable object. A large, savage and rabid dog chained to the car might provide a further degree of personal reassurance.

All this is predicated by the assumptions that either:

1. the car is worth stealing, or

2.anyone would actually want it.

With tongue firmly embedded in cheek.

Tony

Love it!

My dad, 10 years deceased, shocked me when at age 65 he told me he one stole a car! He was in the Navy and he and his buddy were out drinking and had a long walk back to the ship. They found a car with keys left in the ignition! The drove it back to the ship and left it on the naval base.

My my dad was not the dishonest sort....just a moment of indiscretion. Fortunately they didn't get caught.

I worry about my car but really, not many people would know how to start it....and those who would know, are not the type who commit grand theft auto.

A competent locksmith should be able to pick a transmission lock and cut a key to suit as it uses a standard Yale broach. A Clum ignition switch is another matter. If you have a Clum key with a DB number (up to 99) the switch can be adjusted to suit. These are wafer locks and it is only a matter of rearranging the wafers. In short, you need a Clum and a locksmith will not have one. They come up regularly on Ebay or Myers may be able to help. If your luck is in you may be able to get one to match the number on the front of the lock barrel. If all fails I have a spare (DB65 from memory). Send me a PM if you want it.

Tony

A competent locksmith should be able to pick a transmission lock and cut a key to suit as it uses a standard Yale broach. A Clum ignition switch is another matter. If you have a Clum key with a DB number (up to 99) the switch can be adjusted to suit. These are wafer locks and it is only a matter of rearranging the wafers. In short, you need a Clum and a locksmith will not have one. They come up regularly on Ebay or Myers may be able to help. If your luck is in you may be able to get one to match the number on the front of the lock barrel. If all fails I have a spare (DB65 from memory). Send me a PM if you want it.

Tony

Thanks Tony. right now I'm too far from working on the lock but like to know what I'm in for. With the weather we been having here, I can't even get in the garage to work on getting it started. About the only thing I'm up to is cleaning out the gas tank and radiator!

Besides... that honey-do-list is killing me.