Radio not working after removing console

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

while I was doing some work under my center console and I hope everything back up I found that my radio doesn't work now. When I was hooking up the radio I realized that the box had a connection on the bottom for which I did not have a connector for. Does anybody know if the bottom of that stereo has two interfaces that both require connectors or is it just one?

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

okay so I figured out how to post a photo.

in the photo it is the one that is on the bottom that I cannot find a connector for.

is it supposed to have one connected to it?

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

I found the seven pin connector but not the nine pin one .

It is definitely not on the same harness as the other wires

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

I just don't want to spend the entire day looking for a connector that doesn't exist and is not required

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

okay now that is confusing because in total I count seven connections including the antenna.

two connections on the bottom and four on the top with the fourth one being behind connector indicated on the photo as number 3

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

The 2 wires going into the 7 pin connector are green.

does anyone know the color of the wires that go into the 9 pin connector?

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

I am wondering if this could be the problem.

I found this on connected three pin connector in the trunk near the antenna but I can't figure out where it is supposed to attach to

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

The antenna never did go up and down but the radio still worked.

I did check the fuse and it is good.

Do you know what that connector is for in the trunk?

I thought it was for connection on the antenna but I wasn't sure.

There is no way of connecting it to the antenna since the antenna has a flat metal piece on it and this is a three pin connector (unless there is something missing)

The connector you show in your last photo is the one that plugs into the relay on the power antenna. From what I can see in your photo it looks like the motor is missing from the antenna mast. If the radio was working before it should work now if you get all the connections plugged in. I think there should be three connectors on the top and two on the bottom plus the antenna plugin.

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

I have 4 connectors in the top ( all less than 9 pins) plus the antenna .

on the bottom there is a 7 pin connector and an empty 9 pin interface .

That 9 pin connector is MIA

Makes me think it was never there

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

The connector for position 1 in the photo

does not seem to exist in my car.

Still can't get the stereo to work.

The only other thing I can think of

is either the stereo is shot or there is some other unknown problem.

There is a spring loaded antenna connector in the trunk that I took apart

to inspect ( I hope it was ok to disconnect it)

The long 16 pin connector on the 'bottom' of the CDM box is split in two halves. It has the tape deck inputs, control signals from the CRTC, and some power. On the top, only three of the four connectors are used. They are for front speakers, rear speakers, and again some power pins - including one to trigger the power antenna motor. The fourth connection on top is unused in a '88-'89. (It is used for aux inputs in a '90-'91 when the car is equipped with an outboard CD player.) And, of course, the antenna input.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

On my car there is only the right side connector on the bottom

and it has all the top ones.

I have given up and can't figure it out.

Sucks that the seats have to come out to

fix a radio :-(

Guest Mc_Reatta

Sounds like you have plugged some connectors into the wrong locations. The green wires in the 7 pin connector are the data wires from the CRTC and belong on the bottom of the radio. Nothing is plugged into the cavity on the top front left.

Here's the pin outs for the connectors:

http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/88-accessories/radio/200-radio-cassette-connector-pinouts

Pay attention to what comprise the 2 lower connectors listed on the left, and the three upper connectors listed on the right.

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

It would be helpful if you would add the model of your Reatta, (and any other relative information), to your signature line. It will make it easier for us to help answer your questions without repeatedly asking you about the specific model you own.

Click "Settings" in the menu at the top of this page and scroll down to "Edit Signature"

It's that easy!

Guest Mc_Reatta

Radio can be accessed from the top as well.

If you have removed the seat to get at the screws holding the console side in place, do not replace the ones covered by the seat when you reinstall the side panel. That makes removal in the future much easier.

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

Putting the connectors in the wrong spot is not possible in this case since

they won't fit and also they won't reach.

The car has a CRTC from a Buick Riviera ( year unknown , put in by the previous owner )

so that might be the reason for the lack of that connector (?)

while I was doing some work under my center console and I hope everything back up I found that my radio doesn't work now. When I was hooking up the radio I realized that the box had a connection on the bottom for which I did not have a connector for. Does anybody know if the bottom of that stereo has two interfaces that both require connectors or is it just one?
The first post lead me to believe the radio had been working before. Is that true or is this an untested radio that you are trying to get to work?

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof
The first post lead me to believe the radio had been working before. Is that true or is this an untested radio that you are trying to get to work?

Yes, it was working fine before I removed the console.

Unfortunately 2 months went by before I reinstalled it.

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

Yes , all the other stuff on the CRTC is fine. Only problem is that the radio does not make a sound or seek channels.

I don't even get static

Most radio functions on the CRT will appear to function normally even if the radio is not connected or is shot (not working right). The CRTC is not "smart" enough to detect if the radio is present despite knowing what type of radio is used (bose, eq and tone control type variants are supported).

The CRTC is identical for the Reatta and Riviera, it is "told" which car it is in by the BCM option programming. This determines the logo shown during the light show, among other things. However, there are not seperate versions of the CRTC for each model vehicle so that is not your problem.

I suspect you either have a bad radio module (could have gone bad while sitting for a few months) or something in the CRTC to radio wiring is not making resulting in a lack of control.

KDirk

Guest 88-Alberta-Sunroof

What is GIBSON's ?

If you are referring to the grey connector with the red clamp identified as #2 , I have it in the same spot

as he has it in the photo. That is the ONLY spot it fits in