Fuel Gauge-Hydrostatic-1929 Model 135

Jrbrks

I removed the hydrostatic "sending unit" from the fuel tank of my 1929 Model 135 Victoria.

While cleaning this unit, green fluid came out of the tube connecting to the thin copper tube that would go to the gauge on the dash.

Can someone tell me what his green fluid is and where to purchase it?

The fluid was green like the color of antifreeze.

Also how much should be added?

I know the fuel gauge on the dash requires a red fluid and have found sources to purchase this on other parts of this forum board.

One final question......does it make sense to repair the hydrostatic gauge or should I try to fit an electric fuel gauge while I have the tank removed? I have not yet removed the gauge from the dash, but there is corrosion on the back of the gauge, so I am guessing the red fluid has leaked out over the last 80+ years.

Thank you.

Jim

Jim, First of all there shouldn't be any fluid in the line at the gas tank. Being green it's probably a mixture of gasoline/water and brass corrosion. At the gauge for gasoline it should have red fluid and when Franklin used a hydrostatic gauge for oil quantity it was green fluid at the gauge. Be cautious of any of the fluids because they are very caustic and can burn skin and blind you. If you wish to keep it original (and by the way the hydrostatic gauges worked) All of the items; dash gauge, tubing, glass tube assy. and the tank sending unit are being made new today.

Bill

Thank you, Bill.

I was beginning to presume there should not be any fluid in the "cylinder" in the fuel tank sending unit. The green color seemed odd, but it is likely as you describe.

I need a dash gauge, as the pot metal of my gauge housing is corroded, cracked and beginning to crumble. Based on the corrosion. I am guessing the gauge leaked where the thin copper line enters into the glass tube. If the fluid used in the gauge is caustic, that would explain the corrosion of the pot metal of the body of my dash gauge.

I have found a source for the glass tube and brass reservoir, but I really also need the gauge housing or whole gauge for the dash.

Do you know of a source for this part?

My fuel tank "sending unit" seems in good shape and I have been able to clear all the lines and cleared both "pinholes" (one pinhole near the top of what appears to be a vent tube for the fuel tank and one pinhole in the very bottom of the cylinder at the base of the unit).

Thanks again.

Jim

Jim, Olympic33 is correct for the dash gauges and all related parts from Classic & Exotic. However, the tank units are being built under a license from Atwater Kent by "My Life Style". Kind of a strange affiliation but never the less they make some very unique antique auto items. Check them out.

Bill

www.mykmlifestyle.com/Antique_Automotive_Parts.html