My 60 Electra 225 Convertible

Smartin

OK Buick people: The car in in the hands of the upholsterer for a couple months. Free rent :) I took it to him to have the top replaced, and casually talked about doing the seats. He said he had some time over the Winter to get it done, and we agreed on that. Today, he called me back with a formal estimate and said he could get working on it in about 3 weeks, and it will take about 3 weeks to complete. So, We are just going to let him go at it.

New top and boot, front seats, rear seats, carpet, center console, drivers arm rest...can't wait!!!

At least my car won't be around for a while so I can concentrate on Lance's 57.

Nice! And I have my garage filled with parts I am selling while the 57 is at your place. It is just a big chain!

• 1 month later...

I recently discovered this thread and reading the description of this car reminded me of an identical (except for blue interior) one, in the same condition, I drove a short distance back in 1969. I was a driver at a car wash because, back then, there wasn't automatic rollers that would pull a car through; they had to actually be driven by an attendant (me). I'll bet I must have driven several hundred different cars a distance of about 150 feet, while spraying and wiping down the windshield. After the car came through the blowers, I'd have to crawl into the back seat and clean the inside back glass. Anyway, I was driving this white '60 Buick ragtop and immediately noticed that it didn't have any brakes to speak of.

I thought " what a pity; this could be such a nice car with a little bit of TLC". I admonished the owner for driving such a death trap, but he just ignored me and drove off into the night, without leaving a tip. Like so many others, I've wondered what ever happened to that car, I just hope it didn't kill anybody.

• 1 month later...

Action!

New well liner and top pads are on the way.

The floor is solid as a rock and not surface rusted at all. There is one spot on the passenger side that looks like it has popped through from the bottom. I'll assess that when the time comes. I am really happy with the condition of the floor, though. Whew!

post-31288-143142949842_thumb.jpg

post-31288-143142949853_thumb.jpg

post-31288-143142949862_thumb.jpg

Guest tommyduncan

I met a very old man who has the same car but with blue interior. He is basically the original owner and would sell it. It Is garage kept out here In the dry desert but It has not been moved in many years or started for at least a couple. The price fluctuates around the $30, 000 mark. I have no Idea what It Is worth but I wish I was in a position to by it...

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped by the car today to check out progress, and to inspect the car/possible rust issues in the floor. Surprisingly, it was very solid! There is one perforation on each side immediately outside of the bucket seats. Even the areas at the toe boards where the body mounts are rusty are solid. One less thing I have to weld on!

I have been working hard trying to find replacement fenders, but am coming up just short. I know Pete P has one in TX, but I need a passenger side. I was really hoping to find a complete parts car with rust free bits...but that has been an effort in futility, and a waste of a trip to Chicago with a trailer. My heart is telling me to try to get the car painted before Springfield, but it looks like I will be busy with customer projects. I guess I will MacGyver the stainless trim back on the lower front fenders somehow for the time being so it hides the giant rust holes :D

Hi Adam

Watching the progress on your car is making me so envious. I really enjoyed owning my 60 Electra Flattop for 15 years and seeing your car is bringing it all back to me.

You car is going to be simply gorgeous judging by the standard of that upholstery.

Please keep the posts coming, it is fascinating to follow.

Adam..

Here is a photo in "as found" condition that the previous owner shot when he rescued it. Also attached is a photo from Matt Harwood's sale ad for another 4867 in the same color combo - for inspiration purposes :) . (Mine will also have a white top when it comes out of the top shop)

post-31288-143142969022_thumb.jpg

post-31288-143142969026_thumb.jpg

Looks like it was tucked away, and then forgotten. On an unrelated note, I know Buick wants to be an international brand but I sure miss the ole Red White and Blue in the trishield. Without it from a distance the trishield can be mistaken for a VW.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I am about 2 weeks out from getting the car back from the upholsterer. It's been there a bit longer than expected, but he is in the same position as I am with the day job. Patience and free storage are a virtue :)

I'm not sure if I will try to do any repairs to the body before the national or not...I really don't have much time between now and then. I think that once I get started, it will snowball.

Love that interior? I am assuming that is leather. If so could I get a small scrap as a sample and the source for the hides?

That is the color that I am looking for to do the interior of my '57 Special restomod.

Thanks,

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

I did a drive-by on the car today. He has the seats complete and installed. The top is complete, but there is an issue with the rear top seam that I don't like the look of, so there is going to be some research on what can be done to rectify it.

He called me yesterday to come take a look at the console cover, since it was broken...which I knew. I went by to grab it and fix this weekend. I had forgotten how badly it was broken. The lid was broken up pretty badly, and the only way for me to fix it was to fiberglass it back together. Turned out ok I think :) Obviously, he needs to recover the top of the lid. Also the drivers side door handle needs recovered. This should be done this week, and hopefully I can swap him cars.

post-31288-143143099309_thumb.jpg

post-31288-143143099314_thumb.jpg

post-31288-143143099318_thumb.jpg