36 Buick Special Model 48 Victoria Coupe

I have this car I am pulling apart piece by piece to get it redone. I have a couple of questions.

People around here tell me the straight eight in this car, is not worth building up because of the cast bearings and to drop a modern v-8 in the car to get the power I want to have things like AC and 12 volt systems and today's highway speeds.

I want to put dual master cylinder and disk brakes all around. Anybody know of a kit for the front end?

If I put in a small block V-8 any recommendations for engine, transmission and rear end?

Is there a speedo and gauge setup I can buy that will replace the original?

I would like to re-place the front end with a more modern front end. Rack and pinion steering, etc. Any ideas here?

Well , I am getting very curious as to the condition of the car ? If it is real shabby and all needs work , yeah , go for it ! But for the sake of the soul of the car , you might consider the range of Buick power. A few years back I came across the finest lead sled I have ever seen parked stern to at the back door of a restaurant I was eating at. A '47'Cadillac fastback. This one rivals Cadzilla , IMHO. But it had a huge Chev mill in it . Now this guy had the $$$ to do anything. I admired the car , praising it honestly. But thinking to myself , " with all the speed equipment for 472/500 Cadillac available , it's a Cadillac , why not keep it that way ? " . Uh huh . Yeah , something about the soul of it. Do you guys/gals agree ? - Carl

Well , I am getting very curious as to the condition of the car ? If it is real shabby and all needs work , yeah , go for it ! But for the sake of the soul of the car , you might consider the range of Buick power. A few years back I came across the finest lead sled I have ever seen parked stern to at the back door of a restaurant I was eating at. A '47'Cadillac fastback. This one rivals Cadzilla , IMHO. But it had a huge Chev mill in it . Now this guy had the $$$ to do anything. I admired the car , praising it honestly. But thinking to myself , " with all the speed equipment for 472/500 Cadillac available , it's a Cadillac , why not keep it that way ? " . Uh huh . Yeah , something about the soul of it. Do you guys/gals agree ? - Carl

Yeppers!

Ben

• 1 month later...