Original TinType Photo Henry Ford and Quadricycle - Opinion?

I came across this item for sale - it appears to be an original early tintype photo of Henry Ford demonstrating the Quadricycle. This is a well known image and published copies I have seen appear to be lighter and with more detail (I've attached another photo from Wikipedia of the same image to show the difference).

What are your thoughts on this item? I believe that it is a real vintage tintype due to wear and the border damage. However, I'm not so certain that it was taken at the demonstration itself. Perhaps it's an early photo of another photo taken of the image? What would the value of something like this be?

This forum has always been tremendously helpful and I really appreciate any replies / insights?

post-82188-143142763888_thumb.png

post-82188-143142763897_thumb.png

post-82188-143142763902_thumb.png

post-82188-143142763908_thumb.png

post-82188-143142763888_thumb.png

post-82188-143142763897_thumb.png

post-82188-143142763902_thumb.png

post-82188-143142763908_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Something screams fake to me. Yes tintype is an early media but that looks too nice IMO - it is as if it were a modern fabrication with the intent to deceive the buyer. Seems to me that all the other tintypes I've seen the painted back was more like an early thin varnish than a solid color - they also had a lot of scuffing and wear from being 100 years old.

I hope I'm proven wrong and you have a priceless treasure, but it seems too good to be true.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late response! I have since returned this item to the original seller for a refund, but I don't necessarily believe it to be an intentional 'fake' to mislead. Another expert I consulted advised that he had a very similar piece of a larger size. The Henry Ford museum apparently operated a tin-type photo studio on its grounds from approximately the 1930's to 1980's. The expert believes that this piece was likely produced there as a giveaway, gift shop souvenir or photography demonstration. Not 100% sure but this explanation makes sense based on the age wear to the piece.