WARNING!!!! UNETHICAL LOCKSMITH UPDATE

Guest soledadsp

Guest soledadsp

Hi,

It's already been a year since I sent my 1930 Chrysler side mount locks to Jesser's Auto Clinic and Classic Keys in Akron,Ohio so he could make a set of keys for them. So far I haven't received my locks back since the job was cancelled. I was told by Mr. Jesser that he sent my locks back in January 31, 2014, but he didn't sent them certified, insured or even given me a tracking number. Mr. Jesser sent me a bill for double the agreed upon charge of $315 in February and I didn't pay it. I think $621.08 to make a set of keys is outrageous. Mr. Jesser won't answer my emails or my calls and has now employed a call screening device that won't allow my calls to get through to his business number. Mr. Jesser's evading techniques have led me to the conclusion that he he not telling the truth in this matter. I just recently contacted the Better Business Bureau in the Akron area and also the Consumer Affairs Office. The Attorney General's office in Ohio told me to contact an attorney to resolve this matter. But, since I live in California it becomes a very expensive ordeal to sue Mr. Jesser for my locks back. Hemmings Motor News (which he advertises heavily in) declined to stop his advertising in their magazine because he doesn't have a track record of complaints. Mr. Jesser told the Ohio Consumer Affairs Office that when he sent my locks back parcel post in January 2014 the post office wasn't issuing out tracking numbers. I contacted the post office to verify that fact they told me they were issuing out tracking numbers for parcel post back then.

Mr. Jesser's greed and selfishness has caused me a lot of stress and has set me back years on my restoration process. It's almost impossible to find the correct side mount locks for a 1930 Chrysler these days. The car and locks were in the family since the early 1970's. Any help or suggestions in this matter will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Hirsch

Edited by soledadsp (see edit history)

Do you think the outcome would have been better if the job had not been cancelled? Remember also that things do sometimes get lost in transit. There was a story in the recent news about a carrier that had a ton of undelivered mail he stole to cover bad habits. The lack of complaints for this shop say something I would think. Good luck with this issue and your restoration. Keep looking and maybe you can find replacements.

the locksmith should not have sent the sidemount locks back without tracking AND without insurance, if the locksmith did, then jesser's is to be held liable for the loss. i think a boycott on jesser's business would get the phone answered and a settlement reached. mr. hirsch had his faith in jesser's and jesser's failed him. i personally believe that the sidemount locks are still in jesser's business, and jesser's just doesn't care. evading phone calls speaks LOUDLY.

Do you think the outcome would have been better if the job had not been cancelled? Remember also that things do sometimes get lost in transit. There was a story in the recent news about a carrier that had a ton of undelivered mail he stole to cover bad habits. The lack of complaints for this shop say something I would think. Good luck with this issue and your restoration. Keep looking and maybe you can find replacements.

well you can add me to the list of complaints along side with mark hirsch jfranklin, i just spoke with mr. jesser, and his only answer to why the lock were sent back without tracking or insurance, was because parcel post was the cheapest way to send them, he didn't care enough to make sure that the locks got back to mark hirsch. that kind of carelessness we can all do without.

charles l coker

John

Until recently, people don't want to pay for that. So we make a customer sign and notarize a disclaimer. You wouldn't believe the people that would go through the hassle to do that.

Now with property and express mail was changed in Jan of this year? you get auto tracking. Plus they are ins for 50.00 with priority, 100.00 for express without additional cost.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

John

Until recently, people don't want to pay for that. So we make a customer to sign and notarize a disclaimer. You wouldn't believe the people that would go through the hassle to do that.

Now with property and express mail was changed in Jan of this year? you get auto tracking. Plus they are ins for 50.00 with priority, 100.00 for express without additional cost.

well mark hirsch, the parts owner was never notified that the parts were being ship back to him from jesser's classic keys, mark had been waiting a year for his parts to be returned, first mark was quoted $315.00 to have two keys made, that was paid, then jesser's changes the required time to finish the job from two months to one year, so mark cancelled the work order, and cancelled the credit card charge two months later, then jesser's tries to bill mark $621.08, and jesser's one later decides to mail the parts back. mark is without his parts, no effort on jesser's part to make amends. jesser's has mark's phone calls and emails blocked. i wouldn't trust jesser's any farther than i could throw him.

charles l. coker

Here is another sad story about mail with one of our customers. He mailed a water pump to get rebuilt. No ins or tracking. LOST!! Its from a 1933 Desoto. Been searching for 3 months with no results. Have a lead on one the is broken. Yes, if the vendor did-was-maybe going to resend, I would have called the customer to pay all charges if any before mailing back. That would have been the correct thing to do.

• 1 year later...

If their is anything I can do for you. Im a half hour drive from Akron, Ohio. Same thing to my car, grandpa had his 29 chry 75 phaeton sent to be repainted. The guy took it completely apart and refused to give it back. 10 years later we get it back minus most of the body. He has moved and disconnected numbers.

He may be a good locksmith, but he is a lousy business person. An astute business person would express his empathy with the customer that something like this happened, cancel the $315 and you his connections to find replacements for the customer.  In business it is called a "goodwill" expense.

Is it difficult to find someone to make old keys and is this a typical charge?

I took all of my "36 Dodge locks to a local locksmith and he made new keys and freed up frozen locks for under $50.00. I don't understand why some of these specialty shops charge so much or have that attitude that they are the only ones that can do it. i asked one guy about his high prices and he stated "because I can!" It's a shame to see folks treated this way and it seems that you see more and more of it lately. Hope you guys get your issues resolved.

• 1 month later...

I think everyone that restores old cars has been or will be burnt at some point and it really p*sses you off, but, dont let it get to you, all it will do is sour the enjoyment you are having restoring your car

I am in the auto repair industry and have a very happy and loyal clientele, but thats not to say everyone has been happy with me and it mostly comes down to either price (they wanted it for nothing) or a misunderstanding on what was wanted or expected and what reality is

I am not taking sides here as I really dont know exactly whats happened, but, from a repairers point of view, if someone paid me 1/2 the money (the 300 odd dollars) when the job turned out to be worth double that, then cancelled the job (especially if I had bought in special parts or sunk mega hours into trying to track down something made of unobtanium or both), I would not be overly happy either and if I had to return parts to that customer at my cost, without any hope of having those costs re reimbursed, then I am quite sure I would post it the cheapest way possible as well.

Unless you actually go to the shop and the owner allows you to search his property (highly doubtful) no one can say that he still has those parts.

Stuff does get lost in the post and all the insurance in the world wont stop it (or help with unobtanium parts)

I also know that its very hard to quote on some jobs as you never know what your going to face until you get a good look at whatever it is, but an estimate can be given, but is subject to change

I do feel sorry for the losses as I have had stuff lost as well, but your better off chasing the parts or replacement parts (even if it means re producing them) than expelling energy on something thats not going to bear fruit

Best of luck

Mick