Psi for Rochester 1 bbl?

Dwight Romberger

I have installed a rebuilt Rochester 1 bbl for a 60-62 261 Chevrolet on my otherwise stock 1930 Buick.

1) What is the optimal psi at which to set my Holley fuel regulator?

2) At what is very low psi (1-4 psi) fuel pours out of the carb at the linkage. Am I correct that either the float is set at the wrong height or the valve is stuck?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Signed (very) frustrated in Allentown.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

If fuel runs out of the carb at those pressures, I would say that you have one of three things happening. They would be the float is too high and will not shut off the fuel, or the needle & seat is not sealing because of a mating problem, or maybe there is a cracked seat in the carb that keeps fuel flowing.

Guest robert campbell
I have installed a rebuilt Rochester 1 bbl for a 60-62 261 Chevrolet on my otherwise stock 1930 Buick.

1) What is the optimal psi at which to set my Holley fuel regulator?

2) At what is very low psi (1-4 psi) fuel pours out of the carb at the linkage. Am I correct that either the float is set at the wrong height or the valve is stuck?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Signed (very) frustrated in Allentown.

That carb should handle 5 pounds of fuel pressure easily. Do you know if the float is brass of Nytrol covered foam? I rebuild, rebush, and in some cases wet test many brands of carbs in the Seattle area. Love Rochester carbs. They are some of the easiest to work on and seem to always work fine. Sometimes a dry carb will have the float hang up the first time. A sharp whack with a screwdriver handle will normally un stick it. Sometimes a small particle of dirt will get on the needle valve and seat mating surface. In this case a vice grip to gently crimp a rubber fuel line coming in will help. Crimp the line and start it up. When the engine starts to struggle, unclamp the line, and the fast surge of gas into the empty float bowl will knock off the debris in some cases.

Rob

Attached pics are some of my most difficult work. They both purr like kittens! The first one is 6 Rochester 2 Jets on a 428 Ford on my brothers Mustang. More is better!!! The second is my wife's car!! 48 IDA's on a 13 to 1 high zoot 289!! 4 speed and my wife loves to drive it!!

DSCN3879.jpg

DSCN3338.jpg

Guest robert campbell

The gas line was provided by a guy in Florida some time back. I built all the throttle linkage with left and right threads out of hexagonal stock. It is a bit of fun to get them all synced together.

Guest robert campbell
Thanks. That makes sense Larry.

Looks great Rob!

I will enjoy giving it a "WHACK."

Hope that works. The Nytrol coated foam floats like to get a puncture in them and soak up gas. I do not like them and replace with brass floats. You can tell if a brass float is sunk!!

Rob