How long will my heater core last without leaking?

Seafoam65

My car, which will be 50 years old in February, still has it's original non leaking heater core.

My mileage on the car is currently 56,000 miles. Has anyone else seen one go this far without leaking? By

the way, the car still has it's original 50 year old radiator that still looks new inside and never has leaked, along with it's fifty year old radiator cap that still holds pressure and looks great. Obviously the man who owned the car for 45 years was extremely anal about changing out the coolant regularly to avoid corrosion.

Anybody like to take bets on how much longer these parts can go without a leak? By the way, I do carry the

necessary tools and parts to bypass the heater core in the trunk at all times! Regarding my heater core, I feel like the guy who jumped off the empire state building and announced to people in the window at each floor as he passed that he was doing just great!

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Guest onedesertdog

My 65 has over 100,000 mi. and doesn't leak......yet.

I believe the heater core, radiator to be original from talking to the PO. who I knew for over 30 years.

In fairness, it sat stripped in a Az. carport/barn since 1988. I had the complete cooling system flushed twice when I first got it.

I also carry hose/tools to bypass if needed. Besides, it's ARIZONA, we don't need no stinking heater....LOL.....

Buddy

Guest dwhiteside64

If properly maintained I would suspect the core could last for a very, very long time. I really don't know the deal with mine as it has been bypassed by the PO (I didn't have a chance to ask him why). No problem here as, although there is no signs that it ever leaked, I really don't need it operational. I only drive my car during the warmer months of the year and even then only in fair weather, so I never have had a use for it. Besides, that huge V-8 under the hood gives off plenty of heat - just open the vents and you're nice and toasty within minutes!

I believe that having a CLOSED cooling system plays a major role in the preservation of cooling system components by eliminating air (read oxygen) from the system. Simply replace the original radiator cap with one of the same pressure specification, but valved for a closed system. Attach a small non breakable coolant reservoir to the open end of the overflow tube, a small plastic milk or detergent bottle with zip ties will work for this. For judging purposes, simply replace the original radiator cap and remove the coolant reservoir .

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)

OK Riviera People: I've been told that a 7 lb. radiator cap is a good idea because it keeps the pressure down on old and vulnerable systems. Any ideas? The 65 Riv I'm wrapping up still has the engine out. While pressure washing the engine bay I decided to blow out the heater core. There was a ton of black residue that came out. I'm going to pressure test it before putting in the engine and if it' holds pressure I'm thinking of keeping my finger's crossed. Mitch

Mitch,

I did something similar just to avoid replacing the heater core if at all possible. But I had the entire system connected. I bypassed the heater control valve and ran hoses from the heater core to the water pump and the water crossover manifold (thermostat housing.) I filled the system and used a pressure tester to pressurize the entire system. I pumped it up to 30 lb. and let it set. It sat overnight and lost a couple of pounds (perhaps to ambient temp. drop) but there were no leaks anywhere. I've decided to not get into the heater core. I'll probably find out that 95cardinal's method will be the tell tale sign. I'll install new carpet then .........

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64
In my experience, heater cores will last until you install new carpeting.

I think that's their cue to start leaking.

Too funny! :P

OK Riviera People: I've been told that a 7 lb. radiator cap is a good idea because it keeps the pressure down on old and vulnerable systems. Any ideas? The 65 Riv I'm wrapping up still has the engine out. While pressure washing the engine bay I decided to blow out the heater core. There was a ton of black residue that came out. I'm going to pressure test it before putting in the engine and if it' holds pressure I'm thinking of keeping my finger's crossed. Mitch

Reducing the pressure also reduces the boiling point.

Tom

OK Seafoam: I hope you don't need these components. When I sold used cars people would routinely ask if the car was OK. I told them that it seemed to run good at this time. I also added that no matter how happy a car's history I didn't have a crystal ball. What I do have is a deep respect for Father Time! Mitch

OK Seafoam: I hope you don't need these components. When I sold used cars people would routinely ask if the car was OK. I told them that it seemed to run good at this time. I also added that no matter how happy a car's history I didn't have a crystal ball. What I do have is a deep respect for Father Time! Mitch

Heater cores are funny.......the original heater core on my 69 GTO failed in 1973, I changed it out and the one I installed is still going strong 41 years later.....4 years vs. 41 years....go figure!

• 2 weeks later...

My heater core worked perfectly until I removed and replaced the heater hoses.

I must have been a little too aggressive at removing the old hardened hoses and caused some damage to the core.

I couldn't say if the core was original or not, but the car had about 56,000 miles at the time.

To stay on the positive side, I ended up with re-painted floor pans, sound deadener lining, new carpeting, and a re-painted center console including new vinyl... all because of my goof. I even found buried treasure showing the history of the car hidden in the console and under the seats. Wow. All that from yanking a bit hard on the dang hose. :eek:

Chuck, I am sure you're not the first one to have that problem from being too aggressive taking the heater hoses off. At least you got a lot of other projects done!

The heater core in my 63 bit the dust in 83, so I'm 30+ years on the current one. Trying not to think about that.

OK Riviera People: Removing hoses can be a real can 'a worms. So, what would one do to not open that can too much??? First, figure you might have to replace the heater core anyway and plan for it. Next....

DOUSE the affected area with WD-40. Let it sit. Use the proper tool on the clamp. Once the clamp is off use a sharp Exacto knife to cut the heater hose off. Again, keep your fingers crossed. Mitch

Mine was good for about 40 years and 55k miles. Just went with little warning, a little fog on the windshield. Took off hoses and bypassed. I don't remember the hoses being difficult to remove. One of these days I'll break down and take everything apart and change it and all the other as long as you are there might as well do. I have a replacement core, but fear like others that the copper lines are too short and will need to be replaced before installation.

Larry