new 53 buick and transmission trouble

Guest fng985

Guest fng985

I picked up my first Buick a 53 super 8 The owner said his brother got it stuck in second gear and the brakes need bled (no pedal what so ever) due to wheel cylinder change. So I brought it home to find out I have no clue how this tranny works. I had stick in the past and my first car was a 64 oldsmobile 3 on tree when I was 15 (now 38) that linkage trans set up was a lot different or so it seem. How does this one work I saw on trans it has one rod that moves back and forth and other seems to barley move. does it use both to shift into gears or? I know I need to put new bushings in linkage down by tranny. The shifter seems loose and don't move forward and back with any resistance (like in the middle of the H) are the any exploded views of all this? I looked on web and there is not a lot on 53 Buick 3 speeds. I also pm a guy about the master cylinder (insert feel stupid here):confused: but I cant find it, he said under the column frame mounted. So under the car on the frame below steering wheel? Any pictures? Where/how do I check fluid to bleed brakes. Thanks for any help.

Don't know about the stick shift linkage, but the Master Cylinder is under the drivers floor board. If you lift the floor covering there should be an access hole in the floor through which you can get to the MC reservoir. Just to be certain, you did say a Super, right, not a Special?

Welcome to Buick world & the forum

Yoiu need to get some workshop manuals. Look here:-

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/index.php 1952 shop manual here. Worth downloading. Transmissions are about the same

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/found-cheap-master-parts-books-cd-353740.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/buick-owners-bookshelf-197781.html

Click on "My profile" & "Settings" in the top right of the screen. If you want to save a PM's you are sending you have to set it up to "save" in the settings

Worth joining the BCA as the blue link in my signature

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest fng985

yes its a Super wellllll that's what he said and what I got from a little research. Thanks for the brake info I felt pretty dumb looking all over place. I saw something under car but couldn't confirm since I cant crawl under there right now due to surgery. But I shall peal back the floor cover. That sure seems like a weird/awkward spot. I will pick up some shop manuals also.

post-103495-143142760921_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forums, fellow '53 Super-er! Don't know about the trans, but just wanted to welcome you. If the engine is a V-8, and it looks like you've got 3 ventiports on the fenders per side, then you do have a Super.

x2 what John and Allan have already mentioned. As Allan mentioned, and from what I've found, the '52 manual has been a lot more useful. The '53 manual is more like a supplement to the '52 to cover things that were new that year. (V-8 engine, 12 volts)

• 2 weeks later...

Hollllllllly crap I just read somewhere on the web you have to drop the rear end to remove torque tube to get the transmission out. Wow hmmmm might be easier to pull engine since I don't have a lift.

Hollllllllly crap I just read somewhere on the web you have to drop the rear end to remove torque tube to get the transmission out. Wow hmmmm might be easier to pull engine since I don't have a lift.

The rear axle and torque tube come out as a unit, You do not have to disassemble the unit, just unbolt like Matt said and pull it back. If you have a concrete floor and a floor jack, just raise the unit enough to prevent any binding at the end of the trans and pull it back. Once it's out of the end of the trans it usually pulls back easy.

Panhard bar, yes. On my 55, I did not unbolt springs, they will allow you to roll it back enough for clearance. I only lifted the rear of the car to maximum suspension travel to leave the wheels just touching the floor before unhooking stuff. You may have to raise the front end higher for clearance to remove transmission and get it out from under the car. The stardard may be wrestled out off the jack but a dynaflow is super heavy and would be nice to leave on jack to roll out. Anyway, you're not pulling tranny, just need to access linkage, etc.

Edit: Oh yeah, the shocks are what limit suspension travel and will have to be disconnected from the frame at the end of shock lever before you can roll the differential back.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

ok that don't sound too bad then. Thanks for the help. I took the 4 bolts out of the front (bell housing) and 4 out of the yoke? and was going to try and rotate the tranny so I could take the top off and see why its stuck in gear (side note seems like its stuck in 2nd/3rd gear because it just seems loose and clicks in and out ooooor that could be reverse/1st) anyway I was going to rotate it and leave tranny in car but it only goes about 1/8th a turn so I reckon that's out.

I am no expert but I believe there are two different tranny's. As a Super you should have the one with six bolts on the cover. The other has 5 bolts on the cover. Once you can determine which trans you have then maybe someone can post a picture of the linkage set up so you can just verify if the problem is inside or outside of the transmission case?

I am no expert but I believe there are two different tranny's. As a Super you should have the one with six bolts on the cover. The other has 5 bolts on the cover. Once you can determine which trans you have then maybe someone can post a picture of the linkage set up so you can just verify if the problem is inside or outside of the transmission case?

Ok sounds good I will count them and see. Im going to jack the rear end up today and see what I can do with 1 arm ;). After I go buy some heavy duty jack stands, because I figure the car might weigh a pound or two.

Sweet on the rare part. I got it from a guy in St Louis that his parents left it to him. Had a Arizona title only baf part was couple spots on floor boards in front. Someone patched over them which will work for now. Of course needs paint and bumpers re-dipped but interior is good I highly doubt original but its nice I will get some pics up.

update.......... I jacked rear of car up and got the trans to rotate around. I took the cover off (6 bolts by the way JohnD1956) the piece that slides the 1st/reverse gear part (well I think, might be 2nd/3rd) the little "fork" looks broke a little and don't grab the slide ring right. Well it works on its side due to gravity HA. So I reckon I have to remove and take to a tranny shop if I can find somebody that can work on it or get parts. I thought about welding a bigger lip on each side of the fork. I know its not the best idea but as a last resort. Any thoughts?