Question on Columbia rear end/drive shaft?

Beltfed

Have been installing the rear end to drive shaft to tranny and everything else like buggy spring. Question: with tranny, rearend, and drive shaft attached I turned the axle spindles (both sides and the drive shaft wouldn't turn. When I turned the drive shaft with screwdriver through the speedo take off hole the rear axles did turn. Is this normal?

This other part is just a comment. Putting the buggy spring back on was quite a challenge. Without the tool in the pic I don't know if I could have done it. I don't know if Ford buggy springs are easier to do but I don't think I would trust a fabricated tool to do it as the engery stored in the spring under full extension must be huge.

post-88682-143142759392_thumb.jpg

post-88682-143142759392_thumb.jpg

Guest 39 Pickup

When you turned the axle shaft on one side the axle shaft on the other side turned in the opposite direction, thus the drive shaft did not turn at all. If you had resistance on the opposite axle shaft, the drive shaft would have turned. This is how they work. All is normal, nothing to worry about.

39 Pickup, Many thanks. That's the way all the other rear ends work in cars I have owned (non limited slip). As you can't see the drive shaft because of the trouque tube and there was only two of us, and I only have axle spindles at this time, I couldn't lock the other side down and still see the drive shaft.