hood adjustment question

'51 Special

The car is a 1951 Special. The problem is the hood will not stay in place when it is open and resting on the support hinged on the center of the cowl. When initially opened and placed on the support, all appears fine. But, after being opened, the hood will suddenly come loose from the rear hinge, and hang loosely on the front hinge and the support. This happens on both sides. I can cause it to happen with a very gentle downward tug on the open side of the hood. This is a new problem.

My first thought is that the hood had been somehow widened. It was recently in a shop for some carb work and I'm sure they took the hood off. (But the hood has been off several times in the 22 years I've owned the car, and who knows how many times before that.) It appears to be a bit too snug to the fenders at the back corners, and a bit low in the middle at the cowl.

The shop manual says the hood may be narrowed by bending the reinforcements (if done carefully), and explains how. But, even if the hood could stand to be narrowed a bit at the rear, is that likely to fix the problem with the hood coming loose from the rear hinge when it is open on the other side? And, if so, how much do I bend the reinforcements to narrow the hood perhaps 1/8th inch? Help.

I have experienced this problem on my 1950 Buick and on a 1952 Super that I used to own. It is very frustrating, especially when your nice new paint job gets scratched from the hood coming loose and dropping down behind the grille--ask me how I know...

If the hinge and fenders have not been moved or changed in their alignment when the problem began, then the problem is most likely inside the hood hinge mechanism. It is not closing down all the way. The spring inside it may be weak or the "teeth" in the hinge hold-down mechanism are dirty and greasy and not allowing the mechanism to lock down all the way. Easiest thing is to find another hood hinge and replace it. Short of that, you can clean your existing hinge with lots of WD-40 and/or degreaser. Use a toothbrush to scrub the inside. Work the hold-down back and forth several times (without the hood in it). It should spring open and closed in a quick, affirmative manner--with a loud click-click. Additionally, when you close one side of the hood, make sure it is closed all the way by pressing your hands and your weight against the top/side of the hood--HARD! This helps to make sure it is latched down all the way, but if the mechanism is full of 60 years of grease and dirt and dust, it isn't going to work very well. Clean it! Soak the whole thing in kerosene, if it looks really greasy. Then lubricate it with WD-40 or similar product when done.

(note to Lamar Brown: This might be a good one to publish in your column in the magazine?)

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

1927 model 26S

1948 model 76-S

1948 model 56-S

1949 model 51

1949 model 59

1950 model 76-R

and newer Buicks....