Rear brake adjustment procedure on 1923, model 45

unimogjohn

I am attempting to adjust the rear brake bands and control rods in order to get a firm pedal and actual braking.

Currently only one shoe on each wheel appears to be working.

I am working from the back adjustment screw to the front adjustment mechanisms. If any one has done this before do you have any helpful hints or suggestions.

My shop manual was of no help.

John,

I have found a simple and effective way to adjust mechanical brakes:

Lube & pre-adjust all four wheels for close (but not dragging) brake shoe clearance.

Lube & adjust all brake rods so the brake levers are perpendicular (maximum leverage) when braking.

Drive the car on a gravel or dirt road and have someone watch which wheel skids when braking hard & soft.

Adjust more or less until all four skid at close to the same time at hard & soft braking levels (you may never get them all to skid together, but they should all lock up when braking hard).

Mark, thanks for the valuable information. I was able to find out the adjustment procedure from two sources. I used two books from my collection, Dyke's Automobile and Motor Encyclopedia 1919 and My Automobile, Its Operation, Care and Repair 1924. Both gave detailed general instructions. As a result I was able to finally adjust the brakes correctly with great results. It now stops straight with both wheels now stopping the car. A great feeling as the car only has brakes on the rear.

Once you know what adjustments must be made and work from the back to the front of the car, you are all set. My problem is that one of the rods was way over tightened and as a result the lever to apply the brakes could not clamp all the way down on the drum. Once it was correctly set, I had great brakes.