Crisis in The Vintage Chevrolet Club!

John348

Hello Friends,

As part of a coalition of past President's and Vice President's of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America (VCCA) I was asked to present some sad news for those who might not have heard. What we feel is a Crisis in the VCCA. After over a half century of operating under the mission of "restoration and preservation" a majority of the present Board of Directors of the club have decided to abandon the very same mission they took an oath to the membership to uphold. I would also like to ad many of these Board Members have been in the club for only a few years.

We were the only Chevrolet Club was created for stock cars, and it has held reasonably close to that for more than half a century. Eight Board Members decided that the club now needs to recognize modified cars and change the identity of the club to suit their personal wants and needs, while failing to recognize that the existing 8,000 members joined for the originality aspect of the hobby. There are many Chevrolet clubs out there, some are even businesses that "pretend" to be a club. Some only cater to certain models, but they all cater to both modified and stock cars, we were unique we recognized all years and models of Chevrolet vehicles that were stock.

Sure some modified cars have always shown up at our events. This has been true from the very beginning. They are normally "in the background" in some fashion -either as Display Only, or in the parking lot, or sometimes on the judging field where the judging process itself will exclude them with its results (as it was designed to do). It's not about "hating" modified cars, nor certainly not the owners of them - it is simply that modified cars are not what brings us together, really no different then AACA.

We want to preserve history, or a reasonably close resemblance to history. What was it like to drive a car with skinny, bias ply tires, with mechanical brakes, sitting on itchy mohair, and 40 HP? You can't find out in a resto-mod with a chrome V8 and A/C. The VCCA has been the ONLY CLUB that is a home for the preservers of the historical Chevrolet. As has been said, there are hundreds of alternatives for the owners of "personalized" cars to find fellowship. But again, the VCCA is the ONLY place for those of us who love the correctly restored or preserved vehicle.

Why would we throw away that unique identity? as I have heard from several other members: "I have a hot rod at home. I didn't join the VCCA for my hot rod - I joined for my correct, original car."

After seeing the Hemming's headline a week or two ago "VCCA Welcomes Modified Chevrolets..." Myself and the other retired Executive Board Members were contacted by many members voicing their concerns, after contacting each other we decided to ban together and organize this fight for the restoration for the preservation of the VCCA. We have to push back, try to fight this opening of Pandora's Box. (I know, it's been slightly open for decades, but this is really taking off the lid).

We're not trying to be negative towards folks with modified cars. We have a driver participation class for the somewhat modified vehicles, and almost anything can go on a VCCA Tour. But please, not on the cover of the G&D our monthly magazine. We are simply trying to draw a line, protect the integrity of the G&D, and establish once and for all that the VCCA is a club that is primarily about stick, original vehicles. Like it has always been.

Our coalition has spanned twenty seven years of management of the club, and has a very good working knowledge of the by-laws. There is a provision that allows the membership to challenge and overturn an action by the Board, that is through a petition. Our first big push was to get the Petition sent out to all the VCCA Regions, This has been done, and now we have to make sure this gets in the hands of the members who are not in regions. If you are in the VCCA and like things the way they were then please click on the link below and that will take you to the VCCA Forum where you can find the petition. If you are not in the VCCA and know someone who is please let them know.We already have a couple hundred signatures before we truly even launched the effort, but we need many hundreds more to make this a reality. Hope to get a few hundred at Hershey, too. Many of our members will have the Petition at their spaces At this time space RNI 82-86 more location to come

http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/318838/Petition_to_remove_Modified's#Post318838

Thanks for your support -

John Mahoney

Past National Vice President

Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

I'm with you all the way, John,but I can't sign your petition. I was in the VCCA for one or two years while owning a 39 pickup about 80-81. I don't think you mind taking in GMCs as they are practically the same as a Chevy truck. I hope this doesn't set a precedent for other clubs. I didn't agree with AACA allowing race modified cars either. What's next?

I'm with you all the way, John,but I can't sign your petition. I was in the VCCA for one or two years while owning a 39 pickup about 80-81. I don't think you mind taking in GMCs as they are practically the same as a Chevy truck. I hope this doesn't set a precedent for other clubs. I didn't agree with AACA allowing race modified cars either. What's next?

Dave, it has already happened to other clubs. I was in a brand specific club that was set up by it's members solely for the purest. As John said about the VCCA, there were numerous clubs for our brand of vehicle that allowed modified cars. Why these people decided to join our purest club is beyond comprehension, but after time these people brought more of their types of people to the club. Once they had established enough people for votes for their people to hold office they began amending the by-laws to the club. Today the memberships cars are about 80-85% modified cars and most of the purest myself included are long gone. Like VCCA, our club WAS the only pure stock alternative for our brand.

As far as other clubs go, Oldsmobile Club of America, Pontiac Oakland Club International all allow modified and custom cars into the membership and provide classes for them at local and national events.

John, Why has VCCA taken in GMC? Pontiac Oakland Club is the club that represents GMC. Ever since when Pontiac division and GMC division merged.

Good luck with your fight, I hope you can keep control of your club.

It's sad to hear of a dedicated historical club having to bend it's purpose to please new members. I think the AACA has been suffering from that for many years now. I can see that the quality just isn't there any more at many of the shows, even Hershey! These clubs were created to preserve the history and as much as possible the originality of these older vehicles.Times have changed though, many folks neither care about nor desire to learn about the early days or history at all for that matter! There are other venues for modified vehicles and I don't know why they can't just align themselves with one of those clubs. Hold your ground and refuse to make the change; we need clubs, now more than ever, to keep the historical aspect alive or there will come a day that no one will know what an original car even looked like! You can see that in most all local shows, the original car is a rare bird and treated as such. This is one of the reasons I dropped out of the AACA. Maybe it's time to just start more specific clubs and stick to our guns; trouble is though,our society and special interest groups want us to make every one happy so as not to offend anyone! Phoey! Good luck with your fight!

Guest drnittler

I was saddened to see this happen as well. I think we need to preserve old cars and history not destroy them. I have seen to many good cars ruined..

On another note VCCA had some members who were not real friendly. They acted like VCCA was a private fraternity and bit my head off when I asked a question on their forum. That was one reason I quit VCCA.

Exclusive clubs are nice for the members if that is what they want.

Over the years though, many of the purists die along with their cars, leaving a club without enough members or "stock cars" to continue.

I restromoded an Essex that looks perfectly stock to most viewers. I was invited to a few Essex meets by the local President and was greeted by some and absolutely shunned by others. Needless to say the event was not enjoyed by all because of needless hate. I say hate because the purists could have just ignored me, but they decided to inflict pain upon themselves and others.

I did not join the club nor ever went to any more meets which was a shame as there were many people there that were very nice people and were glad that I took it out of the rust pile.

For the record, I do own four “stock” restorations and have four others that appear stock from 10 feet away.

I am not a member of any clubs as my interests very and I appreciate all types of autos.

I thought the same thing maybe the membership is dwindleing, not the case still at the same number of members for the past 15 years. Treasury is solvent. The idea is NOT from the membership, the Board presented this motion. Again, there are already many existing clubs that cater to the modified Chevrolets.

Don't forget, that we are not about modified cars and never were

John best of luck to you. I, like you, have no problem with the modified group. I had them before and still admire them BUT we need to save cars the way they were built for history sake. It is an important quest. I have seen what has happened to many single marque clubs and it has been ugly in my opinion. There are plenty of clubs and opportunities for anyone with a modified car.

Jpage. You are welcome to your beliefs but this year I will personally see over 4,000 cars at our meets and dispute the "lack of quality". I have been showing cars personally since 1985 and although over restoration seems the norm the fastest growing segment of AACA is the Original classes. AACA's mission remains the same. Our library continues to provide incredible research material to the hobby in order to help the hobbyist be correct in their restoration.

I am a huge fan of our race car classes and fail to see where they in any way impact original cars. These were cars modified decades ago for the most part and are now preserved or restored to their race condition.

John,

I've been a member of VCCA continuously since around 1976.

I agree with your initiative and support the goal of maintaining originality.

For many years we maintained an all-original 1958 Bel-air sedan, and toured extensively with it. My son and daughter learned to drive tours in that 283 - Powerglide car without the benefit of Power Steering and Power Brakes. Later, they appreciated these options when we toured more than 100,000 miles in our 1963 Impala convertible. We also drove several Glidden Tours, as well as the VCCA 4-Cylinder Tour of Yellowstone Park in 1994 with our yellow and black 1927 Chevy Capitol-AA Roadster. The 1952 Deluxe convertible was also a great driver. While these cars are no longer a part of our garage, we still have a 1988 Corvette and a couple of Suburbans. (Pinky says that our Buicks are just Chevrolets with lock washers, and the Cadillacs are a Chevy with STAINLESS lock washers).

I believe that it is important to maintain the original goals of our VCCA and applaud you for pushing to retain what we had - not yield to unnecessary change !

Guest drnittler

The biggest reason I dropped most clubs is because there is no like interest here in south TX for original cars (except Model T's) This is the land of lowriders, hot rods, rat rods and customs and they don't usually want to join a national club in order to start a chapter. I have tried believe me.

Board members in most originations are usually the most active members of the org. whom were voted in by people that can, or will not take control of their own destination. They can be overturned or voted out by enough concerned members.

Roger, while that is true in most cases, it is not the case here. I was on the BOD of the VCCA for 9 years. The problem with this group of leaders is they ALL ran for the positions unopposed, see the problem. Most of these people have been in the club on a few years, just enough to be allowed to run for a position. Most of them have never attended any of the Major Meets or Tours, let alone chaired one. They just don't have the pulse of the membership of this club an what they are about. The membership let this happen, but nobody though anyone would do this. The worste part of this it was done on speculation that members would join, last time I looked there is an already many structured National Clubs for people who desire modifed cars, and now one less for those want to preserve history

This makes me very sad. There are plenty of clubs and activities for hot rod guys and modified cars, why does every club have to be all things to all people? I don't try to join the Packard Club with my Cadillac, right?

I think much of the problem is that national clubs are kind of panicking at the dropping membership numbers (and therefore revenues). Not that clubs are for-profit, but they have expenses to cover, employees to pay, and other things on which they spend their money. The fact is, as long as the national clubs have budgets, they're going to have to chase dollars. I suspect that was the impetus a few years ago for the CCCA to float the idea of extending the cut-off to 1954 or something ridiculous like that. More members = more membership money. That's really the bottom line. I understand that's what's needed to keep the club viable, but I also think most club dues are pretty reasonable. I know raising dues is anathema, but to keep the club's spirit and intent intact, would it be worth it? I suspect most members would say, "YES!" Alternatively, why do clubs have to be massive? What if they are scaled to serve their members, regardless of how many there are? Can a club of 250 people be just as viable as one with 25,000 people? Of course. Declining membership shouldn't be a fiscal issue that drives clubs to make bad decisions.

I don't have an answer. I'm the youngest guy by decades at CCCA board meetings, at most events, and even in my own showroom. Younger folks don't seem to be joiners and they're losing interest in cars pretty quickly, or their interests are different. I love Full Classics because that's what my father loved. But the guy next door, he and his father restored a 1969 Camaro--where do you think HIS son's interests will lie?

I don't know what I'm saying. I'm rambling. I'm sad that the clubs as we knew them are slowly (and sometimes painfully) dying and the hobby is becoming vastly different even from 20 years ago. Some good, some bad will come of it, I suppose, but the only thing that ever stays the same is change. I'm sorry to see this happen and hope that the AACA holds fast to its core beliefs. And sadly, it's going to be my job to make that happen because I'm hoping to be doing this 40 years from now...

I find it interesting that many car clubs see a membership decline and immediately take The Sky Is Falling approach to try to fix it. Although I am not a member of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America, I don't believe that allowing modifieds into the club will help its membership grow. The guys that have hot rods, street rods, resto-mods, etc have plenty of local and national car clubs that they can belong to. Some of the groups such as National Street Rod Association and Good Guys throw some pretty amazing (and well attended) events located all over the country, so there is really no reason for the modified Chevy guys to join a vintage Chevy club.

I would think that with thoughtful management, a single marque club (such as the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America) would not have trouble surviving especially when it embraces all the products made by a well known and prolific manufacturer. I find it interesting there are two national Model T Ford Clubs (MTFCA and MTFCI) and two national Model A Ford clubs (MARC and MAFCA) that seem to be doing well. None of these four national organizations allow hotrods, nor do any of these organizations express a desire to change their mission statements regarding the types vehicles in acceptance. Interestingly, these four clubs are obviously strictly prewar in nature and have each existed for 50 plus years and continue to maintain. All four of these organizations continue to host very successful national and regional meets (and tours) throughout the country as well as have an international presence.

There seems to be a lot of false information regarding that people only collect cars that they can relate to. As a dealer, I can honestly say that I could sell a 1915 or earlier Model T Ford everyday of the week, every day of the year. (If I could only I find some to sell.....sigh!) The same applies to particular Model As. While I sell a lot of brass Model Ts, I have yet to sell one to someone that is 100 years old or older. Interestingly, they tend to be bought by people in their 40s through early 60s who were certainly no where near the planet or atmosphere when these cars were commonly seen on the streets. I find this to be true about Model As as well. Brass cars of all makes still seem to be in high demand and I find are the easiest types of cars to sell. Quality Full CCCA Classics also continue to be very marketable. I find most of these cars sell themselves and often do not even require advertising.

Years ago, the VMCCA (Veteran Motor Car Club of America) used to be one of the premier and prestigious national clubs for early cars. Many years ago, the board of directors decided the membership was declining and decided to allow all cars thatt were 25 years or older. The result basically killed the club as membership dropped due to the change in focus and no new members were recruited.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

I find it interesting that many car clubs see a membership decline and immediately take The Sky Is Falling approach to try to fix it. Although I am not a member of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America, I don't believe that allowing modifieds into the club will help its membership grow. The guys that have hot rods, street rods, resto-mods, etc have plenty of local and national car clubs that they can belong to. Some of the groups such as National Street Rod Association and Good Guys throw some pretty amazing (and well attended) events located all over the country, so there is really no reason for the modified Chevy (or other brands of hotrods) guys to join the Chevy club.

I would think that with thoughtful management, a single marque club (such as the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America) would not have trouble surviving especially when it embraces all the products made by a well known and prolific manufacturer. I find it interesting there are two national Model T Ford Clubs (MTFCA and MTFCI) and two national Model A Ford clubs (MARC and MAFCA) that seem to be doing well. None of these four national organizations allow hotrods, nor do any of these organizations express a desire to change their mission statements regarding the types vehicles in acceptance. Interestingly, these four clubs are obviously strictly prewar in nature and have each existed for 50 plus years and continue to maintain. All four of these organizations continue to host very successful national and regional meets (and tours) throughout the country as well as have an international presence.

There seems to be a lot of false information regarding that people only collect cars that they can relate to. As a dealer, I can honestly say that I could sell a 1915 or earlier Model T Ford everyday of the week, every day of the year. (If I could only I find some to sell.....sigh!) The same applies to particular Model As. While I sell a lot of brass Model Ts, I have yet to sell one to someone that is 100 years old or older. Interestingly, they tend to be bought by people in their 40s through early 60s who were certainly no where near the planet or atmosphere when these cars were commonly seen on the streets. I find this to be true about Model As as well. Brass cars of all makes still seem to be in high demand and I find are the easiest types of cars to sell. Quality Full CCCA Classics also continue to be very marketable. I find most of these cars sell themselves and often do not even require advertising.

Years ago, the VMCCA (Veteran Motor Car Club of America) used to be one of the premier and prestigious national clubs for early cars. Many years ago, the board of directors decided the membership was declining and decided to allow all cars thatt were 25 years or older. The result basically killed the club as membership dropped due to the change in focus and no new members were recruited.

The question here is not about survival, The problem here is the take over and changing the club's traditions , ideals, culture. In this instance ( Chevrolet ) the clubs focus was what Chevrolet built, not what someone's rendition of what a Chevrolet should be.

Does allowing modified cars in a show or tour "take away pleasure"? Well, yes, if you like original cars.

Look at it this way...you enjoy original cars and all their faults and foibles, because it brings you back to an earlier time.

A club allows modifieds. Well, OK, the first ones are just slightly modified, disc brakes added, headers, well, OK, that could have been period correct.

Oops, the next show, someone shows up with a 20,000 watt stereo system, and you can't get within 10 cars of it without getting a headache. He tells his friends, so the NEXT show, there are a dozen stereos, AND...

....the hydraulic guys show up...so a bouncy bouncy here, a boom a boom there...wow, not what some people signed on for.

I'm at the point that I don't care if someone modifies common cars, but it bothers me when the heart (i.e. original running gear) is ripped out of a rare car or Full Classic, but I don't want to participate in that area of car collecting.

Everyone enjoys their trip through this life in their own way, and that's not where my enjoyment resides.

• Like 1

Biscayne John,

Not to be disrespectful, But I have been been thinking about this all day and I wonder how it takes away from your pleasure to have other cars in your club.

I'm a Pontiac guy as well as Olds and a couple of foreign cars. I can't speak for John, but I can tell you what is disrespectful to me. It is disrespectful to me, the brand, and the artist and engineers to turn a creation into a abomination. The first link is stock, the second is some guys idea of what he thinks looks better;

http://worldcarslist.com/images/pontiac/pontiac-catalina-ventura-custom-4dr-ht/pontiac-catalina-ventura-custom-4dr-ht-03.jpg

http://image.streetrodderweb.com/f/11033813/0810sr_17_z+west_coast_kustoms_nationals+1961_pontiac.jpg

I hate to say it, but the second car is a embarrassment to Pontiac division in my opinion, and the type of people (generally-not all) that like that sort of thing I don't want to be around.

• Like 1

I have been to dozens and dozens of shows, NEVER have I heard a single loud radio, NEVER!

You must be talking about one of the STEREO contest shows. No car show I have ever attended would ALLOW such. OH, on cruise night, maybe.....one or two drove by.

Abomination? HATE?

I don't HATE anything, it's a TERRIBLE word.

Dale in Indy

Don't know who used the word "hate,", it's not that, it's just what makes you tick, and what's appropriate in certain settings.

I used to be in the dairy processing business. No one showed up at the Dairy Show, McCormick Place, Chicago, displaying apple juice.

Guess they had their own show.....

That's what you should do if it ISN'T YOUR THING, walk right on by, but don't walk over to the owner and TELL him/her YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

We don't ALL like the same things, THANK THE GOOD LORD for that....

Dale in Indy

I think not Dale. I think you should join a club with your interest and have your own cars shows the way you want and let people like some of us here on the forum including John have our own type of club and car shows. That way your interest and our interest don't have to put up with each other. Some people seem like they just want to break up something for what I just don't know.

As you know AACA stands for stock vehicles. Are you in favor of getting AACA to change it's rules so you can have modified cars at AACA events?? I mean if you want to do this to the only Stock Chevy club why not AACA too!

• Like 1

Biscayne JohnNot to be disrespectful, But I have been been thinking about this all day and I wonder how it takes away from your pleasure to have other cars in your club.

Roger (and Dale also)

No disrespect taken,The bottom line is I had joined that club as well as over 8,000 others, BECAUSE it respected the history of Chevrolets as they were made and delivered at the time of sale. I enjoy my monthly magazine because it focused on just that. I was not the only one in the club who felt that way, there was a huge outcry from the membership asking us as retired Board Members to lead the charge. People are free to do what they want to do with their cars, thats fine, but they should live with that decision, don't make myself or anyone else feel that they have to accept it, because we don't have to. This is not racial or sexual discrimiantion it's a hobby. There are plenty of places a person can go that will embrace modifications they have done to their cars or maybe what they have paid others to do it. I respect their space and place in this hobby, all I ask is for them to respect mine and others like myself. I am not going to waste time on this thread defending my right to enjoy the club that I belonged to for the past 30 years. It's like music my friends, don't come in my house uninvited and force me to turn on the station you like and then insist I must like it, I know that station is there and will turn it on if I want to,,,,, but I can't see myself doing so. Please don't make me feel I have to defend my point, because that is not the purpose of this thread.

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I strongly agree with Biscayne John, helfen, trimacar, headbolt, and others who would rather exclude modified cars from specific marque clubs. All of my cars are factory stock, EXCEPT for the only Chevy I own, which is my '54 Bel Air. It is bone stock appearing, right down to the full stock wheel disks over bias ply wide whitewall tires. However, at some point in its life, I believe sometime in the late 1960's, the original engine gave up the ghost, and a 195 hp, 283 Chevy V8 out of a '65 Impala was installed in its place, also bone stock right down to the 2bbl carburetor and correct stock air filter housing. This was not done to resto-rod or soup-up this vehicle, but merely an effort to keep it road worthy for an owner who couldn't afford a new car. If I were ever to have this car judged, and it may happen some day, obviously I would loose major points for an incorrect engine, but my goal would be to have it critiqued by knowledgeable people for correctness and quality of the 1954 portion of the car, along with proper detail of the 1965 drivetrain. I wonder how this would go over. I don't know, I'm just sayin'.

Guest marlin65

I've got to throw my 2 cents into this. I joined the original National Nomad Club in 1970 and Classic Chevy Club in 1974. Both clubs at the time let modified cars into meets and conventions. However when it came to judging they were severly penalized from the get go. They simply did not and could not compete with stock classes.

Now I recently joined VCCA. I have an original 60 Corvair but it is modified in that it has radial tires. Am I now banned from showing up? I think the word crisis is a little strong. In reading the latest issue I see where there is a motion to let GMC trucks into our ranks. To me not a problem and really how many are going to show up? I also see the possibility of creating a "Personalized Class'. Again not a problem as long as there are rules set in place when it comes to judging etc and they have their own area and signage at large shows. Lets face reality in this day and age we are loosing members faster then we are gaining them. I will always restore to stock,stock is what I love, and expanding the club will not change a thing. Ed. Dade City, Florida

I've got to throw my 2 cents into this. I joined the original National Nomad Club in 1970 and Classic Chevy Club in 1974. Both clubs at the time let modified cars into meets and conventions. However when it came to judging they were severly penalized from the get go. They simply did not and could not compete with stock classes.

Now I recently joined VCCA. I have an original 60 Corvair but it is modified in that it has radial tires. Am I now banned from showing up? I think the word crisis is a little strong. In reading the latest issue I see where there is a motion to let GMC trucks into our ranks. To me not a problem and really how many are going to show up? I also see the possibility of creating a "Personalized Class'. Again not a problem as long as there are rules set in place when it comes to judging etc and they have their own area and signage at large shows. Lets face reality in this day and age we are loosing members faster then we are gaining them. I will always restore to stock,stock is what I love, and expanding the club will not change a thing. Ed. Dade City, Florida

Hello Ed,

I had met you this past winter at the VCCA Meet in Titusville hope to see you this winter when I retun Ocala. There seems to be a misunderstanding, gosh no we are not looking to ban people with radial tires. We were asked to keep it the way it was, that's all. One of the main problems with this direction the current BOD decided to go is that are no rules or guidelines yet, the new group get to make them as they feel fit. What you said about the membership is not true, we are not loosing members more then gaining. From the current membership report that I read we are pretty much just flatlining with the same number of members for the past 15 years. We see this move might have a negitiave affect on the membership. When the monthly magazine is only 3/4's or 1/2 of the content that they have enjoyed reading and their membership value is diminished will they rejoin? You said you restore stock and stock is what you love and same with me. How would you feel about your membership after a dues increase (like we just had) and you get 1/4 less content for the year?

The GMC issue I myself don't like at all, simply because they are not Chevrolets, just a parallel brand sold in separate stores, serviced by separate manuals and sold with separate paper. No different then many other models that share the same parts amoung all of the GM divisions. I think the GMC thing is being driven the in magazine advertisers, and for all I know that might be the motive for the Modifieds,

Ed we are just trying to keep the club just the way it was last year, and the 52 before that. I know with your Corvair, just finding any type of 13" tire can be hard let alone a bias ply

I hope I was able to clear things up

I Agree with John on this venture...

I joined the AACA because I wanted to restore and own an ORIGINAL, or as close as possible ANTIQUE. I have no problem with rods n mods, i think they are cool and the guys that biuld them have great ingenuity and creativity, many of them i would be proud to own. there are tons of sites & clubs that cater to this crowd. what is wrong with maintaining an organization that caters to the STOCK ORIGINAL Works ?? NOTHING.

Remember you can NOT please everyone, only SOME. Thing is you have to keep those SOME happy and content or lose it all.

We can NOT become something we are NOT, or TRY to be like someone else...

I joined the VCCA for one Reason:

W

elcome to the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America's official web site. We are a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of all years of Chevrolets.

Keywords... PRESERVATION & RESTORATION

• Like 1

To be perfectly HONEST, if you all can keep your club ORIGINAL, SURVIVORS, or RESTORED, such is fine with me.

I just know from the shows I attend that a mixture of all types including the modified cars get along just fine. I have parked next to many original cars, and have enjoyed such, plus met some mighty nice folks.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

This has been an argument forever andforever never ends. The problem becomes more acute when when carshows have judging. The tendency is for people who get there carsjudged, to judge every other car they see. Solution, don't judge,just enjoy. It's been my experience that even a “Do Not Judge”notations on the car does not deter the judgment of many purists .

I've seen one of the prettiest 1953Cadillac El Dorado's ever, restored to perfection (with the hoodclosed) and underneath was a late model Cadillac engine andtransmission, a few cars away was a 1950 Pontiac convertible in thesame condition. There was also a 1929 Model a Ford with a 1932 ModelB engine and A/C. This was a free, non judged, charity show in thecounty's historical park that drew 160 pre-1960 “antique”vehicles and 6000 spectators, raising $4000 for the historical park. The modified cars were requested to keep their hoods closed for thejudgmental folks in the crowd and the historical nature of thegathering.

At the Turkey Run in Daytona, Iregularly see a 1936 Packard convertible with a GMC in line overhead6 cylinder engine and a 1930 Nash with a newer engine too. Both carsappear totally stock and they drive to Daytona each year from faraway states.

My point is, while not 1000 point carsfor judges, they are still antique cars to me. I agree they are notfor judging by AACA standards, but they are not melted down inToyota's either. Welcome them into their own non-judged classes. You might be surprised how many members have modified cars that don't show them because they aremodified and enjoyed outside of car shows. They are still antiquecars that are not perfect either, just like the Corvair with radialtires.

West,

I recently attended the Buick club show here in Indy, and last year the National Buick show in South Bend, In.

Both allowed modified cars. and both events treated me with respect, and we ALL had a great time.

As stated, 'IF' you can keep your Chevy show as it has been for many years, you certainly have my BLESSINGS.

Dale in Indy

There are local car shows that are fund raisers held by VCCA regions, and they are open to many aspects of the hobby, that is not the issue at hand. Sorry I should have been clearer. It is the content of our National Magazine which is the main focus. Again at local shows participation is optional for all who elect to attend, if it is not for you then you don't go. This situation is about an established not for profit National Club with over 8,000 members who joined or subcscribed because they enjoy reading about stock original Chevy's. The Buick Club situation is a little different, the number of modified Buicks are way, way, smaller then those of Chevrolet.

Please guys this is not to be a debate of modified vs original, this is about the future of the VCCA

Hi Biscayne John. I am optimistic that most of the members of your club will sign the petition and throw out the proposed change in your club's objectives for it's national magazine. I would have thought that the membership is made up of guys like yourself who value and appreciate the history and heritage that your club aims to preserve and so long as there is a democratic element that should remain the situation. As you say there is already provision for people who may not have a very original car.

It is preserving the cars that Chevrolet have produced over the years that holds the attraction for me - rather than reading about someone's personal interpretation of what they would like a Chevrolet to look like - and I expect that you will discover this to be a view shared by more members than you think.

Best of Luck,

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

This has been an argument forever andforever never ends. The problem becomes more acute when when carshows have judging. The tendency is for people who get there carsjudged, to judge every other car they see. Solution, don't judge,just enjoy. It's been my experience that even a “Do Not Judge”notations on the car does not deter the judgment of many purists .

I've seen one of the prettiest 1953Cadillac El Dorado's ever, restored to perfection (with the hoodclosed) and underneath was a late model Cadillac engine andtransmission, a few cars away was a 1950 Pontiac convertible in thesame condition. There was also a 1929 Model a Ford with a 1932 ModelB engine and A/C. This was a free, non judged, charity show in thecounty's historical park that drew 160 pre-1960 “antique”vehicles and 6000 spectators, raising $4000 for the historical park. The modified cars were requested to keep their hoods closed for thejudgmental folks in the crowd and the historical nature of thegathering.

At the Turkey Run in Daytona, Iregularly see a 1936 Packard convertible with a GMC in line overhead6 cylinder engine and a 1930 Nash with a newer engine too. Both carsappear totally stock and they drive to Daytona each year from faraway states.

My point is, while not 1000 point carsfor judges, they are still antique cars to me. I agree they are notfor judging by AACA standards, but they are not melted down inToyota's either. Welcome them into their own non-judged classes. You might be surprised how many members have modified cars that don't show them because they aremodified and enjoyed outside of car shows. They are still antiquecars that are not perfect either, just like the Corvair with radialtires.

Paul you must understand that the cars you mentioned above are not antique cars any longer. They may be collectible, but not antiques. The first thing my antique auto insurance company asks me when I add a car for coverage is DID YOU MODIFY THIS CAR IN ANY WAY? , if so we have another type of policy for that type of car, Ironically the other policy is more expensive than the antique policy, but the antique unmodified cars are worth more.