What colour to paint wood ?

Mark Gregory

Hello I own a 1931 Reo Royale car . Body by Murray . The wood is rotten from the firewall to the rear wheel well under the door sill . This wood sits on the steel car frame . I have made a new piece to replace the rotten piece . There is a little black paint on the piece under the door sill . But the rest of the wood looks natural . What should I treat this wood with ? The paint store suggested linseed oil but they no longer sell it in Canada . Then they suggested Valspar varnish . Thanks

Where are you in Canada? I use a 50-50 mix of boiled linseed oil and paint thinner to waterproof my outdoor furniture every year. No problem getting linseed oil in my neck of the woods.

Terry

You could try that green stuff that stops wood from rotting. Then paint over it with black paint. So far as I know, the wooden framework was unpainted when the metal panels were tacked on, then the whole body was painted. In the case of mass produced cars this would be done before the body was mounted on the frame, for custom made bodies, the body would be built on the frame, painted, and the fenders, running boards, hood etc. added.

"That green stuff" that stops wood from rotting contains copper compounds. When it leaches onto the metal work (chassis and body work) it will promote rust (galvanic corrosion). Use the linseed oil mixture. About 45 years ago I was given a recipe for linseed oil, mineral turps and beeswax for use on rifle stocks, but the proportions defeat me at the moment. The beeswax is the sealer.

In NZ, "Metalex Green" is one brand of "that green stuff". There is also Metalex Clear, which is a zinc formulation. This would be better by far. The leached zinc compounds might actually inhibit galvanic corrosion for a while.