63 trunk vinyl covered cardboard

petelempert

Guest dwhiteside64

Wow Pete you are making all the rest of us look bad with your immaculate trunk area! The vinyl really makes the cardboard 'pop' and gives it a clean, manicured look. Kudos to you Sir!

Pete it looks fantastic. Tell me, how did you handle the back seat area in front of the spare? Plus did you fold each section 1st and then apply the vinyl to limit the buckling on the fold area? Or did you cover the entire flat area then fold? Tkx Jim

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. I am really happy with the way it turned out. Ironically, my trunk now looks way better than my interior which is a long way from being done. Makes me want to drive with the trunk open. Anyway, here's how I did it:

1. I started with the OPGI trunk cardboard kit. When I tried folding their cardboard, it looked terrible. The color fell off the cardboard in chunks.

2. I figured I had nothing to lose so I ordered a three yards of gray light grade vinyl (camera case finish) on line.

3. I pre-fit all the pieces and pre-bent them. At this point, they look like garbage. I tried bending them in my metal brake, but it didn't seem to improve things.

4. I had to customize the piece that covers the tail lights. I did this in two ways: First: Trimmed an inch off the bottom and created a new fold since my Clarks carpet kit stuck up a little too high and Second:Trimmed off the cardboard that surrounds the trunk latch mechanism (I found that the vinyl/cardboard combo was too high for the trunk lid to shut properly so now it's just the vinyl covering that section).

5. I flattened the cardboard and glued the heck out if it using regular contact cement on both sides (let it dry for 20 minutes then stick it together). Let it dry overnight, then I re-bent it and installed.

6. Re-painted my cardboard clips and found some 1" black plastic auto trim buttons at True Value and that's it.

It fits tight as a drum now. It seems like the vinyl actually makes the fit just right and makes the cardboard really stand at attention. Before the vinyl, the fit was sort of funky. Now my trunk has that new carpet, vinyl glue "new car smell". Perfect. PRL

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. I am really happy with the way it turned out. Ironically, my trunk now looks way better than my interior which is a long way from being done. Makes me want to drive with the trunk open. Anyway, here's how I did it:

1. I started with the OPGI trunk cardboard kit. When I tried folding their cardboard, it looked terrible. The color fell off the cardboard in chunks.

2. I figured I had nothing to lose so I ordered a three yards of gray light grade vinyl (camera case finish) on line.

3. I pre-fit all the pieces and pre-bent them. At this point, they look like garbage. I tried bending them in my metal brake, but it didn't seem to improve things.

4. I had to customize the piece that covers the tail lights. I did this in two ways: First: Trimmed an inch off the bottom and created a new fold since my Clarks carpet kit stuck up a little too high and Second:Trimmed off the cardboard that surrounds the trunk latch mechanism (I found that the vinyl/cardboard combo was too high for the trunk lid to shut properly so now it's just the vinyl covering that section).

5. I flattened the cardboard and glued the heck out if it using regular contact cement on both sides (let it dry for 20 minutes then stick it together). Let it dry overnight, then I re-bent it and installed.

6. Re-painted my cardboard clips and found some 1" black plastic auto trim buttons at True Value and that's it.

It fits tight as a drum now. It seems like the vinyl actually makes the fit just right and makes the cardboard really stand at attention. Before the vinyl, the fit was sort of funky. Now my trunk has that new carpet, vinyl glue "new car smell". Perfect. PRL

Perfect indeed......it looks awesome!

Pete, did you cover both sides of the cardboard? I found that in many cases having a glued object on one side of any substrate caused the opposite side to bend over time. Did that happen?

Rufcar-Only time will tell. I only covered one side. The panels are pinned in there pretty tight now, so I'm hoping they can't/won't move too much. I suppose over time, it could warp. I know I'm getting warped over time. Also, I neglected to answer your question about the panel behind the spare. I didn't do anything back there. The spare tire blocks most of that view. You'd really have to crane your neck to see in that far, so I left is alone. PRL

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, they came out great., looks really nice.

When I replaced the trunk cardboard in my 63, the first reproduction piece started to crack when I was bending it. I pulled out my hand held steamer and used it on the backside and it made it much more flexible and willing to bend, minimizing the cracking. I wish they had provided that advice when they ship them out, it makes a big difference.

Wow Pete you are making all the rest of us look bad with your immaculate trunk area! The vinyl really makes the cardboard 'pop' and gives it a clean, manicured look. Kudos to you Sir!

I just met Pete Saturday and eyeballed his Riviera, and if you think the trunk looks good, you ought to see

the exterior of the car! Unbelievably flawless paint , trim and bumpers. When he gets the interior done it will be a show

stopper! Kudos for a job well done Pete!

Your Auto Trim Store is the source. The vinyl I used is called Monticello (soft, light gray). I bought 3 yards. I got the clips at CTC AutoRanch in Denton, Texas. Those clips are pulled off a few wrecked Rivs and are sort of hard to find out in the wild.I cleaned and re-painted them. PRL

Your Auto Trim Store is the source. The vinyl I used is called Monticello (soft, light gray). I bought 3 yards. I got the clips at CTC AutoRanch in Denton, Texas. Those clips are pulled off a few wrecked Rivs and are sort of hard to find out in the wild.I cleaned and re-painted them. PRL

Thanks!

Those clips are pulled off a few wrecked Rivs and are sort of hard to find out in the wild.I cleaned and re-painted them. PRL

I've pulled the same clips from the same era Electras, Wildcats, and LeSabres besides wildcats. Sometimes they're just lying loose in the trunk. I've never had occasion to look at cars from the other GM divisions nor have I looked at the smaller bodied cars from the era. But I'm betting they're out there.

I have recently embarked on essentially the exact same project. You have given me inspiration and a level of detail to aspire to.

I have a few more questions:

1. Is the carpet glued down? If so what did you use for an adhesive?

2. You got the cardboard from OPGI and the carpet from Clark's. Any reason for NOT getting them both from Clark's?

3. This is actually the first time I've seen a photo of what looks like the PROPER way to secure the jack in it's place. Is that the original spring holding it in there or did you find a suitable replacement. If the latter where did you get it and what are the specs?

4. What did you do with the edge of the vinyl? Wrap it around the cardboard an inch or so around the perimeter? Any stapling involved?

Also, Now that I know they exist, I'm looking for 8 of those cardboard clips so if anyone has any leads please let me know.

I have recently embarked on essentially the exact same project. You have given me inspiration and a level of detail to aspire to. Also, Now that I know they exist, I'm looking for 8 of those cardboard clips so if anyone has any leads please let me know.

If I'm not mistaken, there are only four clips needed for the trunk cardboard around the trunk hinge. At least from the cars I've come across from which I've pulled these, there have only been two per side. Anyone else have the same experience?

Ed

Ed, you are correct. The stock configuration was two clips per side of the vehicle, one on each side of the decklid hinge horn. For a total of 4. Additionally they were vertically in the center of the horn side. You can see the drivers side clips in this picture.

post-95345-143142793566_thumb.jpg

Rock On

gord

DV8- Answers as follows:

1. Carpet is not glued. Its sitting on a jute backing and fits really well. Clarks trunk kit is really great.

2. I chose OPGI sort of on a lark. No good reason. That said, my low expectation was met with their cardboard kit.

3. The spring is non stock. Mine was rusted and the end tab broken. The spring is 6 inches long, is the perfect tension and is actually from a Tensor lamp. It is cad coated so it will never rust. It looks vaguely chrome. I never throw anything away and occasionally it pays off.

4. The vinyl wraps around the backside of the cardboard about an inch. I cut lots of filets as I glued it to the backside to get the frontside to be smooth with no wrinkles.

5. Apparently, I used more clips than factory. I found a Riv at CTC that had 4 pr side, so i just replicated that. I may be over-clipped. No going back now.

Let me know if you have more questions. PRL

• 1 month later...

My trunk resto project is well under way and I've run into one more question: On the piece that covers latch there are two holes that match up when you fold it into place and there is one more on the top panel to the right of the latch. What did you use in the holes that secure the fold and are any of those holes used to affix to the trunk metal? I just spoke to Clark's and they didn't have an answer for me and my original trunk cardboard was long gone by the time I acquired the vehicle so I'm working a little blind here.

Edited by DV8 (see edit history)

I'm looking at page 14 in Clark's online catalog and if the illustration is the same as what you have, then you have one for a remote release equipped car. Take a look at the picture at the top of this thread and you'll see a picture of a trunk that does not have the remote. Without pictures it's difficult to see what your problem is.

Ed

I don't understand why any of this matters. Both cuts (with or without remote release) have the holes I mentioned. It seems to fit just fine. Let's leave it at that. What I'm trying to figure out is what piece of hardware to use as a fastener to secure the fold in place. Wondering if anyone has a part number (or even a photo) for a trim fastener/retainer that is a good fit for this particular set of holes.

This is why it matters. IF you car is equipped with a remote release, the remote release mechanism is held in place with a separate bracket. That bracket extends beyond the latch quite a bit. That bracket is what the cardboard liner attaches to. Your kit has nothing to attach to if there is no bracket bolted into place around the latch. Without that bracket, you're up the creek for something to attach your liner to.

That is understood. What do I use to attach it though? If there is a screw or some kind of trim fastener that once held it in place, it is long gone on my vehicle and I am wondering if some one can provide me with a photo or a part number that would be a suitable replacement.

Makes sense now. Can you tell by looking at the holes for the fasteners IF they are smooth or threaded? How large are the holes? If they're fairly small, they're probably threaded. Your local hardware store probably has some automotive trim screws. They'll be chrome or stainless, phillips head, and have a built in trim washer. What ever size screws into the existing hole will be fine. If the holes are larger and smooth inside, you'll probably need a nylon (plastic) trim panel fastener. They come in a bunch of different sizes. You'll probably want black instead of white. Here's a link I found that shows a panel fastener. Your local Ace hardware store will have both the automotive trim screws and the panel fasteners in those yellow drawer bins. These links are for examples only.

Trim screws:

http://www.homeprofasteners.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=660

Panel fasteners:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-45477

• 3 weeks later...

The screw in the hole on the top attached to something you only had if you had the power trunk release option. I just bought new cardboard for my trunk

and all everyone is selling now is the kit for power trunk release. If you order one for manual trunk you still receive the power trunk release kit. It doesn't

really matter, the power trunk relase kit will fit fine, but you have to install a clip below the top hole for a screw to tighten up against so it looks like you

actually have the power trunk release option. The screw in the hole on the side to the right of the trunk latch screws into a hole on the trunk latch bracket.