Help with 1905 Franklin F Touring

Guest JayC

Does anyone know where/how I can find the dimensions, especially the LENGTH of a 1905 Franklin F Touring (4 door), both with and without top down, as it appears top DOWN would add additional length. Greatly appreciate anyone's help - need to transport it in a car carrier and space is an issue - Thanks

Does anyone know where/how I can find the dimensions, especially the LENGTH of a 1905 Franklin F Touring (4 door), both with and without top down, as it appears top DOWN would add additional length. Greatly appreciate anyone's help - need to transport it in a car carrier and space is an issue - Thanks

Hello Jay,

Since no one who actually can measure such a car in person has responded yet:

From Scaling the side view in the catalog with the specifications, the overall length (without top) is c. 118". The width is "Standard"

If you send me your e-mail info in a PM, I can send you the extracts from the catalog that pertain to the Type F as an e-mail attachment. Also, you are encouraged to join The H.H. Franklin club at franklincar.org (join under the "Contact" tab). They have reproductions of the manuals for your car (under the "For-Sale" tab then "Merchandise" then "club literature").

And an OBTW: I suspect that you meant "four-passenger" rather than "four door". Unless it has been re-bodied, there are no doors as such. The front passenger seat swings up and out to allow a passage to the rear seats. (the rear can accommodate three in a squeeze so some call it a five-passenger car)

Hello Again,

Found a picture of a 1905 Franklin F with a top that is folded down. Digitally scaling the picture show that the top extends a full 20 inches to the rear so the car would be c. 138 inches. Hope that this helps.

I Do not think that Franklin was making their own tops until around 1907 and in any event, there were differing suppliers of tops even then, so the Dimensions may vary accordingly. But I suspect that they were all --about-- the same.

I would like to proven wrong (or right) by actual measurements...... anyone?

Edited by Franklin-Madman (see edit history)