My new toy. 1915 Touring

ericmac

I just bought this out of California. It has all sorts of goodies.After waiting over a month for delivery the cararrived last Thursday. What I bought is unusual among Model T Fords because of itspresent condition and because of the unique accessories it has. The car camefrom the western side of California near the Monterey Peninsula. It is verysolid and appears completely free of rust. Likely it will need some wood repairin the passenger front side where the door hinges to the front post, butotherwise it has remarkably good wood. It has a 1925 starter engine installedwith a high compression head, modern coil and distributer, overdrivetransmission, over/under wishbone, Rocky Mountain Brakes, 6 Budd wire wheelswith Ford script center caps, a Ford script dog-bone radiator cap and, oddly,three windshield mounted rear-view mirrors. It is hardly the every last nut andbolt correct show car I had in my 1926 Model T yet it will be a highly drivablethe way it is, and likely more useable than the 1926 was.

As a bonus, the car also came with a newly rebuilt, correct engine, head, andtransmission cover from a 1915 Ford, as well as all new upholstery, seatsprings, top, top bows, top irons and top material. Well known Model Trestorer Bill Baker restored the car in the 1970’s and installed the speed accessories.Doc Lawrence rebuilt the 1915 engine which has yet to be installed. The reportI received from the previous owner indicates he has personally driven the caron a California freeway at over 60 MPH. While driving a Model t this fast seemsto be the stuff of madmen, it is exciting to think of having a car with so muchpotential as a driver. Like my other cars, it will eventually be restored tonational show standards, for now I look forward to some spirited touring withother brass era cars.

Moving forward I did some work to see how much the car would take to make it run. This is a car that has been in hibernation for many yearsand looks the part. It appears to have thick dust covering nearly every surfaceof the exterior. I struggle to understand how a car can be left in suchcondition for years but know from personal experience how time has a way ofgetting away from you. <o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

My goal for Thursday evening was to assess the overall conditionof the car. The previous owner said heinstalled a new battery so I was hopeful that it would be in good enoughcondition to turn over the car. I turned the key and found nothing. Not a peep.Getting ready to charge the battery I found the battery disconnected. Iconnected it and turned the key. The engine spun over easily. Next I checkedall the fluids. Finding everything in good condition I turned on the gas andtried the key again. Nothing. I choked it several times and there was nothingonce more. Peering under the hood I discovered the choke wire was disconnected.Pulling the choke manually at the carburetor the engine fired easily andsettled into a smooth idle in just moments. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Running the car I found the car ran well, very well. In factit appears to be among the strongest running Model T’s I have ever heard. Nextit was time to learn how to drive the car. While I am an instructor at theGilmore Car Museum’s Model T driving school, this car is a completely differentanimal. With Rocky Mountain brakes and a Chicago overdrive transmission, thiscar drives much differently than any other Model T I have experienced. Coupledwith the previous owner’s claim that it is a 65 MPH car, I felt a littleintimidated as I began my first drive. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

My initial impressions of the car have been positive. It isindeed a very fast car with only limited braking ability. It has a shockabsorber attached to the “loosey-goosey” steering. That will need to beaddressed immediately. The Chicago overdrive is tricky, requiring engagement inlow or high while the car is stationary. Shifting on the fly is a diceyproposition at best. Reverse works, but it will need a set of transmissionbands immediately. I have now cleaned some of the car but find it is so filthythat it needs to be washed and rewashed several times. While there are someincorrect parts such as the wrong headlamps and incorrect windshield, most ofthe car is genuine 1915. The wire wheels currently on the car are a source ofsome controversy. Clearly the Budd wires are not correct for the car; a 1915 Tshould have a set of wooden spoke wheels. The Budds look a little big in thewheelwells and they are obviously an aftermarket, non-factory accessory. On theother hand, where does one find six wire wheels with the correct hubs and eventhe correct wrench to change them? While I have already had an offer to sellthem, mounted on a period correct speedster, I think they would look fabulous.The touring, however, I think I will be restored into a correct car with allthe right 1915 parts attached. Who knows? I may even try to get another AACA award with it someday. For now I am going to drive the car and get toknow its idiosyncrasies. It will be an enjoyable process of becomingacquainted.<o:p></o:p>

post-41992-143142750277_thumb.jpg

post-41992-143142750277_thumb.jpg

I have had mixed reviews from those who have seen the wires on the car. Some people think they are a little big for the car while others feel they look good. For now I plan to leave them on but they may wind up on a speedster project I have in mind later on. I have been impressed with how spirited the early cars are in comparison with my 26 Fords.

I agree that the wires look pretty sporty though I think I will eventually wind up taking them off and going back to the wooden wheels on mine. While I love wire wheels I am a bit of a purist and will eventually want the car to be "right." That being said, I really like the looks of the car you posted here. I will post some photos of the progress I am making on my car shortly. We have pretty well decided to shoot it with a new coat of paint, as I have new top, irons, wood and upholstery that came with the car. As long as it is apart might as well paint too. Thanks for the views so far!

Eric