The BCA has a new website!

Peter Gariepy

Peter,

Great looking web site! Are you planning to add past meet photos and also meeting minutes?

And the results of the eBugle are fantastic...easy to read and user friendly...thanks

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

Oh no, not this guy again!!! Just kidding Peter, welcome aboard and thanks for taking on this job and I am sure you will be as great a webmaster for the BCA as you are an Administrator for the AACA Forum. Thanks for making the forum members aware of this happening and for asking our input and feedback. Here are some of my "first cup of coffee read" thoughts...

1. A big OORAH for adding the 70 past issues of the Bugle to the Ebugle. That in itself must have been an arduous task. Thank you. May I ask if there are plans to add even more.

2. Shouldn't any links that appear in a drop down (dd) also be listed at the bottom of that main page and vice-verse? For example, add BMD-Brief History, Past Presidents, Tributes to the bottom of the main page. This is done in some of the main pages such as Publications, shouldn't it be consistent.

3. In the dd of Contact Us add "Officers and Board Members".

4. In the "Officers and Board Members" and elsewhere where addresses are linked to by "email", when I click on "email" I am sent to an ancient "Outlook 6" email account page of which is no longer usable. Can the word "email" be changed to that individuals actual email address so it can be copied and pasted to a current email account.(Is this a problem with anyone else or is there a way I can fix it on my end)

5. In the dd of Publications revise "Rate Card" to "Bugle Ad Rates/Layout". I had no idea what a "Rate Card" is.

6. Consider adding a stand alone link on the Home Page header for the Ebugle. I realize it is listed under Publications and that is what it is but I personally feel it deserves a link of it's own in order for ease of access and promotion.

7. I see that the "Calendar" is pretty much up to date. In the past I know there have been problems with the webmaster receiving these Calendar events as well as BOD Meeting Minutes and motions etc. Hopefully those who are responsible for submitting these will better keep you up to date.

8. Relative to #7 above, are the Meeting Minutes/Motions available for public viewing or at minimum for BCA members. If so, could this be added to the site and if necessary let access be password protected (similar to as the Bugle is). Same for the Annual Financial Statement. It would sure promote transparency of what goes on behind closed doors. Just askin.....

9. Under "Tributes" I am getting a "It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for" message. I assume these are forthcoming.

10. Surely this is just an oversight, but I am not seeing any 1954 Buicks racing across any of the banners. Just kidding, but seriously are there any plans to "liven up" the banners?

11. Last and certainly not least I would like to say thanks to Roberta Vasilow for all the years she devoted to maintaining the site to date. And pro bono at that. THANK YOU ROBERTA!!!

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Interesting.

Under the tributes, it should be Barb Gerstkemper, not Bard.

Personally, I don't much care for the "Local Clubs" heading. We know them as Chapters, Divisions, and Regions within the club. If someone who isn't a member comes to the site, would they understand that the "local clubs" are chapters of the BCA that require membership in the BCA to also be a member? Something I've always been interested in seeing with respect to regions is a map. Perhaps I'm just more visual, but while the names are somewhat descriptive, they aren't all. Actually, on closer inspection, is it that there is no contact listed for Four Corners that causes the Golden West Region not to be in bold like the other region names?

I'm curious as to how this came about...choosing a new webmaster, a re-design, vetting information, etc. I'm relatively active with the club and semi-active on the forums, and this comes as a complete surprise.

The overall web site design has to be a real challenge. There is a need for something public-facing that non-members can learn about the club. However, the membership is likely to want more information that shouldn't necessarily be publicly available. It is in a similar fashion as these forums in that while affiliated with the BCA, it isn't exclusive to BCA members, so there should be some caution exercised with respect to internal machinations of the club.

Overall it looks good.

Let me echo Lamar's thanks to Roberta, a past president, for her years of service looking after the web site.

THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK!

SEE COMMENTS/RESPONSES IN BOLD!

I note some of the Headers in the Chapter Listing, seem mixed, but I guess you know that already. I love the drop top.

THINK I FOUND THEM ALL

Cannot access Rocky Mountain chapter website

WORKING ON GETTING ALL SUBSITES LIVE TODAY

Are you planning to add past meet photos and also meeting minutes?

PHOTOS FOR SURE.

MEETING MINUTES - NEED TO GET THEM FROM THE SECRETARY AND GET APPROVAL FROM THE BOARD

Beautiful 1940 Buick. But, wonder if that photo can be rotating in a Buick from each decade

REFRESH THE PAGE - THEY DO ROTATE SOME - STILL NEED MORE IMAGES

1. A big OORAH for adding the 70 past issues of the Bugle to the Ebugle. That in itself must have been an arduous task. Thank you. May I ask if there are plans to add even more.

COOL EH!?

2. Shouldn't any links that appear in a drop down (dd) also be listed at the bottom of that main page and vice-verse? For example, add BMD-Brief History, Past Presidents, Tributes to the bottom of the main page. This is done in some of the main pages such as Publications, shouldn't it be consistent.

NOT 100% SURE WHAT YOU ARE ASKING, EXPLAIN?

3. In the dd of Contact Us add "Officers and Board Members".

DONE

4. In the "Officers and Board Members" and elsewhere where addresses are linked to by "email", when I click on "email" I am sent to an ancient "Outlook 6" email account page of which is no longer usable. Can the word "email" be changed to that individuals actual email address so it can be copied and pasted to a current email account.(Is this a problem with anyone else or is there a way I can fix it on my end)

I ASSUME YOU USE BROWSER EMAIL? THATS MORE A COMPUTER CONFIGUREATION ISSUE. THE LINKS TO "EMAIL" OPEN WHATEVER EMAIL CLIENT IS YOUR DEFAULT. I "HIDE" EMAILS SO THEY DONT GET PICKED UP FOR SPAMMING PURPOSES.

5. In the dd of Publications revise "Rate Card" to "Bugle Ad Rates/Layout". I had no idea what a "Rate Card" is.

DONE

6. Consider adding a stand alone link on the Home Page header for the Ebugle. I realize it is listed under Publications and that is what it is but I personally feel it deserves a link of it's own in order for ease of access and promotion.

PONDERING THAT ONE

7. I see that the "Calendar" is pretty much up to date. In the past I know there have been problems with the webmaster receiving these Calendar events as well as BOD Meeting Minutes and motions etc. Hopefully those who are responsible for submitting these will better keep you up to date.

I'LL GET THE CALENDER FROM THE EBUGLE LAYOUT PERSON MONTHLY SO IT WILL ALWAYS BE UP TO DATE.

8. Relative to #7 above, are the Meeting Minutes/Motions available for public viewing or at minimum for BCA members. If so, could this be added to the site and if necessary let access be password protected (similar to as the Bugle is). Same for the Annual Financial Statement. It would sure promote transparency of what goes on behind closed doors. Just askin.....

1. NEED TO GET THEM. 2 NEED APPROVAL TO POST THEM. I'LL ASK.

9. Under "Tributes" I am getting a "It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for" message. I assume these are forthcoming.

TRY IT NOW.

10. Surely this is just an oversight, but I am not seeing any 1954 Buicks racing across any of the banners. Just kidding, but seriously are there any plans to "liven up" the banners?

JUST NEED A PHOTO OF A 54. :)

The "Washington" header in the list of Chapters needs to be bolded like the other states.

FIXED

Under the tributes, it should be Barb Gerstkemper, not Bard.

FIXED

Personally, I don't much care for the "Local Clubs" heading. We know them as Chapters, Divisions, and Regions within the club. If someone who isn't a member comes to the site, would they understand that the "local clubs" are chapters of the BCA that require membership in the BCA to also be a member?

PONDERING YOUR COMMENT

Something I've always been interested in seeing with respect to regions is a map. Perhaps I'm just more visual, but while the names are somewhat descriptive, they aren't all.

WORKING ON IT.

Actually, on closer inspection, is it that there is no contact listed for Four Corners that causes the Golden West Region not to be in bold like the other region names?

FIXED

I'm curious as to how this came about...choosing a new webmaster, a re-design, vetting information, etc. I'm relatively active with the club and semi-active on the forums, and this comes as a complete surprise.

GOTTA SPEAK TO THE BOARD ON THAT.

The overall web site design has to be a real challenge. There is a need for something public-facing that non-members can learn about the club. However, the membership is likely to want more information that shouldn't necessarily be publicly available. It is in a similar fashion as these forums in that while affiliated with the BCA, it isn't exclusive to BCA members, so there should be some caution exercised with respect to internal machinations of the club.

THAT WILL BE ADDDRESSED IN THE LONGTERM.

I would like to see the photo banner start with brass Buicks and fade into later model cars throughout the various drop down pages.

JUST NEED PHOTOS. WORKING ON IT.

Also, the regions and divisions should not be listed under local clubs.

PONDERING THIS

Peter,

Although you indicated that you hide email addresses:

"THE LINKS TO "EMAIL" OPEN WHATEVER EMAIL CLIENT IS YOUR DEFAULT. I "HIDE" EMAILS SO THEY DON'T GET PICKED UP FOR SPAMMING PURPOSES."

That simply is not true! Please remove the actual email addresses visible on the site ASAP. I am listed and do not want non-members to have access to my home address or email address.

Mark - your email is presented now in a way that spammers can't pick it up. But it is available on the site to click on and send an email. I've removed your email from the Divisions page for the time being. Until we have a technical solution to a "members only" area that everyone agrees with thats the best I can do.

NOTE: Your email was on the old site exposed already and vulnerable to spammers grabbing it.

Peter

I always thought that was a very unsecure way to secure access to the EBugle, but I guess it is not really top secret. I specifically did not list my BCA Number in my signature on the forum for that reason. Every now and then I need the number and have to go look it up.

"Mark - your email is presented now in a way that spammers can't pick it up. But it is available on the site to click on and send an email. I've removed your email from the Divisions page for the time being. Until we have a technical solution to a "members only" area that everyone agrees with thats the best I can do.

NOTE: Your email was on the old site exposed already and vulnerable to spammers grabbing it." Peter

Peter,

I see that your email address on the BCA site is webmaster@buickclub.org. Why don't you list your personal email address and street address?

Security of members should be a priority for you and the BCA. Although I do use my real name and general location on the forum, I do not feel comfortable having my home address and personal email address listed on an open website. Can you provide secure email addresses (like the one you use) for others listed on the BCA site?

serb,

"EBugle: to access is membership number and last name . Outsiders can get that info from the listing of chapters. Directors' names and numbers are listed. A last name and membership number can be found just about anywhere on this or the BCA sites."

You are absolutely right.

The current solution is simply restrictive enough to prevent 99.9% of people from seeing the publication online. To make it 99.999% secure would require substantially more technology. I am monitoring the use of the Bugle. If it is abused I'll know it, and we'll address the problem then.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: I just removed all member numbers from the site. That'll address most of the issue.

Edited by Peter Gariepy (see edit history)

Mark,

"Peter,

I see that your email address on the BCA site is webmaster@buickclub.org. Why don't you list your personal email address and street address?

Security of members should be a priority for you and the BCA. Although I do use my real name and general location on the forum, I do not feel comfortable having my home address and personal email address listed on an open website. Can you provide secure email addresses (like the one you use) for others listed on the BCA site?"

I use webmaster@buickclub.org to isolate my Buick Club related emails.

I've simply removed all your personal info until you tell me to put it back.

Peter

I see my error, but not sure what Dave needs. If the chapter print is blue for the chapter that means that chapter has a web site and, if you click it you will link you to it. Good, guess I am getting old and slow. Sorry to raise the question two spots above.

John

post-31494-14314276133_thumb.png

post-31494-143142761339_thumb.png

jscheib and Dandy Dave,

I'm confused.

http://www.buickclub.org works great for me. So does http://buickclub.org (Same site)

When you get to the site on the top menu is "Chapters, Divisions and Regions". If you click on it it takes you to a page where you can choose "Chapters".

Or, you can simply choose "Chapters" From the submenu.

Once you get to that page you can click the name of the region if it has a hyperlink to goto the chapter website. No hyperlink means no website.

Am i missing something?

Peter

1. A big OORAH for adding the 70 past issues of the Bugle to the Ebugle. That in itself must have been an arduous task. Thank you. May I ask if there are plans to add even more. ...
For me eBugle only works with internet explorer v10.0.92000.17088 on windows 8 and not with Firefox 32.02 on windows 8. Will try a different computer & operating system tomorrow.

Those of us who participated in the eBugle trail in 2010, and then later on the full eBugle release, used a username - password convention that now does not work.Need to be change to the convention that is on the web site. (thanks to PG for fast email/PM)

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/ebugle-here-341125.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/electronic-bugle-trial-286545.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/electronic-bugle-trial-309485.html

Edit

Tried an a different computer running Window 7 enterprise. With Exploxer 10 is Ok Firefox does not work

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

serb,

You are absolutely right.

The current solution is simply restrictive enough to prevent 99.9% of people from seeing the publication online. To make it 99.999% secure would require substantially more technology. I am monitoring the use of the Bugle. If it is abused I'll know it, and we'll address the problem then.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: I just removed all member numbers from the site. That'll address most of the issue.

Past Presidents page still has members numbers, which probably would allow someone to access ebugle.

So does John Scheib under "Regions".