Mustang Project LED Headlights

Guest cbreit01

Guest cbreit01

I have recently installed new LED headlights in my 64 Riviera. I took the advice of others on this board and purchased the ones from Mustang Project:

http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=5e5db5b8-c86c-47df-9dd2-bae08289dc01

How was the install? EASY

How is the product? AWESOME and EXTREMELY WELL BUILT

How was Mustang Project Customer Service? INEPT to say the least. They sent me the wrong product 2x, AND I had to pay to have the wrong pieces shipped back. That said, through perserverence, they eventually sent me the correct product(s) and all is well. I will be looking into having them design an LED Tail Lighing System (as they currently only offer them for 65-67 Rivieras.)

Sorry-No Before Pics. Although it is the normal soft yellow glow of the old bulbs that you see on every 1st Gen Riviera that has been restored. Great looking, but not practical in todays driving world. My Riviera is my daily driver and I definetly NEED people to SEE ME at night!

post-86684-143142748582_thumb.jpg

post-86684-143142748559_thumb.jpg

post-86684-143142748559_thumb.jpg

post-86684-143142748582_thumb.jpg

Guest dwhiteside64

Nice job. They are so bright I need to wear shades :cool:. That's pretty cool you drive your Riv daily - helps to get our cars noticed and appreciated by the general population. Thanks for letting everyone know what it took to get the job done.

Guest cbreit01

Let me put it this way...They are SOOOO bright that I had to move the low beams to the inside and the high beams to the outside :cool:

so...YES they REALLY do light up the roadway!

You might want to reconsider the placement of those lights. You're driving a pretty wide car by today's standards and someone seeing you coming head on with the dims so close together might think that you're driving a narrow car. I think that's why the factory put the dims on the outside - so they'd always be on and get oncoming drivers a good idea of how wide your car is. Just my $.02 :)

Those really do look bright! I assume that pix is with high beams on. I checked out the website so it looks like no HD alternator or other conversions are needed, but in the event one lights does burn out, are we talking ~$75 for a replacement? On a related note, has anyone with a '63 wired their lights so the parking lights remain on when the headlights are on? If someone has, please let me know what's involved. I think one of the coolest things about the '63 (and '64') is seeing them with the parking lights on, and to Ed's point, one would then realize the full width of a first-gen Riv. Talk about "mood" lighting!

Guest cbreit01

"Those really
do
look bright! I assume that pix is with high beams on. I checked out the website so it looks like no HD alternator or other conversions are needed, but in the event one lights does burn out, are we talking ~$75 for a replacement? On a related note, has anyone with a '63 wired their lights so the parking lights remain on when the headlights are on? If someone has, please let me know what's involved. I think one of the coolest things about the '63 (and '64') is seeing them with the parking lights on, and to Ed's point, one would then realize the full width of a first-gen Riv. Talk about "mood" lighting!"
My lights in the 64 are wired so that when the low beams are on, so are the parking/cornering lights. So hopefully oncoming traffic will understand that something BIG is headed their way! I'll try and get a pick of that to post. I had a guy at the gas station stop me last week (it was the early AM) and he wanted to get a pic of the low beams and cornering lights on.
:o

My lights in the 64 are wired so that when the low beams are on, so are the parking/cornering lights.

The factory made this change for the '64 model. There's a small relay on the passenger's side inner fender that controls this function.

Ed

Guest cbreit01

I have the beams so they are pointed just to the outside center of the road. I still get the full view of the lane as i would if they were on the on the outside due to their brightness. With the high beams on tbe outside, pointed slightly inward, i can still see any deer along side of the road ;0)

High beams are designed to point straight ahead. Low beams, when on high are designed to point straight ahead as well but only when the high beams are on. When you 'dim' your headlights, the low beams are designed to shift down and to the right.

A simple way to adjust them is to park on a level surface that has a wall on one end (the darker the wall the better, less reflection.) Park 25 feet from the wall. Measure the height of the center of the headlight bulb from the ground then mark the same measurement on the wall. Do this for all four lights. Getting the height from the ground isn't hard, the harder part is making sure that the marks on the wall are exactly in front of the the lamps. One way of doing that is to sight down the center of the car and get help spotting a line on the mark then measure the distance from the center of the grill to the center of each head lamp; mark those measurements on the wall.

Turn the headlights on bright and cover the low beams so they don't shine on the wall. Adjust the ones that are uncovered so that the center of the beams fall directly on the marks on the wall. Then cover the high beams and do th low beams. Your lights are now adjusted properly. When you 'dim' the lights, you'll see that the low beams shift down and to the right (lights up the right hand side of the road. :) )

High beams are designed to point straight ahead. Low beams, when on high are designed to point straight ahead as well but only when the high beams are on. When you 'dim' your headlights, the low beams are designed to shift down and to the right.

A simple way to adjust them is to park on a level surface that has a wall on one end (the darker the wall the better, less reflection.) Park 25 feet from the wall. Measure the height of the center of the headlight bulb from the ground then mark the same measurement on the wall. Do this for all four lights. Getting the height from the ground isn't hard, the harder part is making sure that the marks on the wall are exactly in front of the the lamps. One way of doing that is to sight down the center of the car and get help spotting a line on the mark then measure the distance from the center of the grill to the center of each head lamp; mark those measurements on the wall.

Turn the headlights on bright and cover the low beams so they don't shine on the wall. Adjust the ones that are uncovered so that the center of the beams fall directly on the marks on the wall. Then cover the high beams and do th low beams. Your lights are now adjusted properly. When you 'dim' the lights, you'll see that the low beams shift down and to the right (lights up the right hand side of the road. :) )

OR, you could just use one of these ...

post-47994-143142770567_thumb.jpg

AC Guide Headlight Headlamp Aiming Kit T3

Then you would know they were adjusted correctly?