Old dog new tricks, sonic cleaning your carburator

Graham Man

Has anyone tried cleaning their carburetor with these sonic cleaners? Tore my Carter updraft down and put it in the sonic cleaner, 4 parts distilled water, one part Simple Green. Watched the carburetor become new again in about an hour. Float looks like brand new. Reassembled it and it runs better than ever! Am I the last one on this bandwagon? I guess they have been doing it with motorcycle carburetors for years? The best part is my hands smell like simple green not old gas and carburetor cleaner (for the next two days).

I bought a dental ultrasonic cleaner years ago on eBay, best $60 I ever spent. I have done countless carbs in it and never harmed any of them. I stay away from Simple Green because if left too long it will discolor aluminum. Maybe when diluted enough it is fine. I use Purple Lightning (get it from Advance Auto). I use it at about 80% and never had a problem. When using a ultrasonic cleaner you have to make sure the part is suspended in the solution , not touching the sides or bottom. If you want to make sure it is working properly get a piece of foil about 8 inches by 2 inches. Roll the foil a little bit around a screwdriver or something that you can hang on the edges so the foil dips into the solution about 4 inches. After running it for a few minutes the foil should have small perforation holes in it. This is caused by cavitation, the process that is doing the cleaning.

Guest tommyduncan

I worked at a high end race engine shop a few years ago and they had one big enough to put a bare V8 engine block in. It was amazing!

It had warnings all over it not to put your hands in it while it was on. I was told it would tear you up!

Doesn't do much for rusty bolts. It may take some of the rust off but not enough to make it worth the time. Muradic acid works best for me. 50/50 mix with water and it only take a few minutes, more depending on how bad the rust is. Then I dunk them in some old oil just to stop them from flash rusting. If they were rusted badly then even when you get rid of the rust there is still going to be damage and the hardware may be useless no matter what you try