1942 lincoln Cabriolet convertible V-12 was just dropped in my lap restore or rest-mod?

pauldana

Well... got this car dropped in my lap... was going to do a resto-mod on it but it seems to be somewhat rare I think, thus I am thinking of just doing a full restoration on her instead.... My sons and I build road race cars and off road baja 500 race trucks... but have never done a "Just restoration" .... its our hobby not our job....

here are a few pics of what i have to work with.... I'm thinking i can do this in about a year and about $50K to do it right..... is it worth it? if we did this we would sale it when done, as we are mainly into road race, off road race race. and reto-mods...

We are very good at what we do, actually 100% professional in our work....

so, my question to the community, is this car worth the time and labor that when done may turn a profit... if not, it will be rest-moded and chopped and dropped.

Paul

12CCA84E-03E6-4009-81E0-695D329947F4_zpshx7np8uo.jpg

F18EF552-D0E2-4618-A9DF-75421AED3214_zps3uumlfog.jpg

F0C490E1-2107-4996-B52F-46A8E45C8868_zpsd2ooh38f.jpg

E59ADD65-A2F1-49DB-84CF-56211B54DF81_zpsdfwyr3ao.jpg

I am no expert, but the '41 Connie I inherited last year was 'already restored' to driver status by my late father starting out in the condition you show with yours. I have receipts from his files that indicate he put about $35k into it just to get it drivable. I put another $10k into it to make it a 'reliable? driver' but I estimate it will take me another $30k easily to make it a 'nice driver'. These numbers are all based on us doing it ourselves, with little or no pro help, except those on this forum (who have all been great). So, I think your $50k estimate is ambitious for a restoration. $80-100 is probably more like it, especially for a convert. Here's a picture of her. Looks good from 50 feet, but close up she needs a lot of metal work for all the panels to fit right. Rust was really rampant.

post-62942-143142750259_thumb.jpg These cars are rare classics (probably only 700-800 of yours built) and it would be a shame to cut her up and build a custom, especially one that is restorable, like yours. I personally believe machines of this ilk should be preserved. Do resto-mods on more common machines that can found anywhere and aren't historically significant. If money is the only motivation, a custom might get you to the break-even point, but probably not a profit. A '42 Connie convert is an odd-duck and might not bring much even well sorted as a custom. So, if you're thinking this way, I'd sell her as-is, pocket the $15-25k you could get and let someone else restore her. Just my $0.02. BTW, my sons and I are also into road racing, competing in a '60 Bugeye.

Edited by rockitdoc (see edit history)

Guest Bruce Nussman

Your new project is not a 1942 unless someone has changed grill and bumper. It looks like a 1946 to 1948. Unfortunalty our Mark I Lincoln Continentals do not bring top dollars. You will spend more than its worth to restore. That's ok to if that is what you want.

Good luck!

Bruce

1941 Lincoln Continental

1951 Jaguar XK 120 with high performance Ford power train

2004 Corvette convertiable.

I am no expert, but the '41 Connie I inherited last year was 'already restored' to driver status by my late father starting out in the condition you show with yours. I have receipts from his files that indicate he put about $35k into it just to get it drivable. I put another $10k into it to make it a 'reliable? driver' but I estimate it will take me another $30k easily to make it a 'nice driver'. These numbers are all based on us doing it ourselves, with little or no pro help, except those on this forum (who have all been great). So, I think your $50k estimate is ambitious for a restoration. $80-100 is probably more like it, especially for a convert. Here's a picture of her. Looks good from 50 feet, but close up she needs a lot of metal work for all the panels to fit right. Rust was really rampant.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]272675[/ATTACH] These cars are rare classics (probably only 700-800 of yours built) and it would be a shame to cut her up and build a custom, especially one that is restorable, like yours. I personally believe machines of this ilk should be preserved. Do resto-mods on more common machines that can found anywhere and aren't historically significant. If money is the only motivation, a custom might get you to the break-even point, but probably not a profit. A '42 Connie convert is an odd-duck and might not bring much even well sorted as a custom. So, if you're thinking this way, I'd sell her as-is, pocket the $15-25k you could get and let someone else restore her. Just my $0.02. BTW, my sons and I are also into road racing, competing in a '60 Bugeye.

My sons and I do very professional work... I have no doubt that we can make it a pebble beach quality vehicle if that is the direction we choose to go... the only thing i am not sure of is parts pricing and availability... I VERY grateful for your input, as I may need much much more depending on direction chosen.

You can cut it up but that would financially be foolish. A full restoration in a profession shop to 95 point status would be over 100k. However you could probably do a driver level job on your own for around 50k if you can do most of the work yourself.

as mentioned above, labor is easy and we are very good at what we do... more worried about parts and years as noted below

Your new project is not a 1942 unless someone has changed grill and bumper. It looks like a 1946 to 1948. Unfortunalty our Mark I Lincoln Continentals do not bring top dollars. You will spend more than its worth to restore. That's ok to if that is what you want.

Good luck!

Bruce

1941 Lincoln Continental

1951 Jaguar XK 120 with high performance Ford power train

2004 Corvette convertiable.

Thank you... if it is a 42 as i was told, the little bit of research i did, states that there are only 10-12 models like this left to be known in existence. and one sold last year for 130,000$ .... if that is so i would like to do a full restoration on her.... BUT if in fact it is not a 42, and the top dollar she would fetch when restored would be around $30k... then we will chop and drop her... and then do a full resto-mod...

can someone post me a 42, and tell/show me the difference and what to look for? thank you so so much:-)

serial numbers for 1942 H129691 to H136354 left side of cross member near motor mount, 26H body number on firewall near hindge on passenger side of car. Picture shows postwar grills and postwar dash. A lot of them were changed after WW11 The darkinstrument panel backgroung suggest 1946 serial numbers H136255 to H152839 5EH body number on firewall 42 is a rare low production number less the 200 convertibles I have a 42 Continental coupe that is in its 4th year of restoration Lee Waldren Ft. Myers, Fl.

serial numbers for 1942 H129691 to H136354 left side of cross member near motor mount, 26H body number on firewall near hindge on passenger side of car. Picture shows postwar grills and postwar dash. A lot of them were changed after WW11 The darkinstrument panel backgroung suggest 1946 serial numbers H136255 to H152839 5EH body number on firewall 42 is a rare low production number less the 200 convertibles I have a 42 Continental coupe that is in its 4th year of restoration Lee Waldren Ft. Myers, Fl.

Going out to see the car this weekend... this information will help a lot... when i get it i will post the numbers and, maybe, you can give me some guidance and value and direction... Thank you again, Paul

I love v-12 lincolns, but I hate to tell you ..They are not appreciating as well as many other automobiles..There is a resto mod on ebay now, has been there for weeks...never meets reserve...lots of cars like yours exist because they were special "classics" almost immediately after production stopped..so they were saved..

and the generation that loves em is fading fast...My generation is payin big bucks for GTO's chevelles, and even VW Buses ..not Lincolns.. The big money lincolns are 2 door coupes lowered to scrape the ground...(really sad)..But have fun its your car..this is a 42..they have vacuum windows and yellowish plastic with gold interior trim..The grills are stainless and the ornaments are made of unobtainium....$$$ bumpers also different..We are mostly purists on this sight and the thought of ruining, I mean resto -mod is offensive..get a chevy or a dodge to rod.

I would have had my money on that it was a 46 but based on the VIN that would make it a 42. I've seen other makes updated to a later year for one reason or another. My 51 Cadillac had a 52 update when I got it and it might have left the dealership that way.

The sad thing is that Lincoln looks like a victim of bad storage.

I love v-12 lincolns, but I hate to tell you ..They are not appreciating as well as many other automobiles..There is a resto mod on ebay now, has been there for weeks...never meets reserve...lots of cars like yours exist because they were special "classics" almost immediately after production stopped..so they were saved..

and the generation that loves em is fading fast...My generation is payin big bucks for GTO's chevelles, and even VW Buses ..not Lincolns.. The big money lincolns are 2 door coupes lowered to scrape the ground...(really sad)..But have fun its your car..this is a 42..they have vacuum windows and yellowish plastic with gold interior trim..The grills are stainless and the ornaments are made of unobtainium....$$$ bumpers also different..We are mostly purists on this sight and the thought of ruining, I mean resto -mod is offensive..get a chevy or a dodge to rod.

I do understand.... We are big into Corvettes.... and anytime someone mods a C3 people start to ........ freek??:-)

if it truly is a rare car, we will fully restore it.... if it is a common $30K car, then we will modify it....

Keep in mind, our modifying is usually just a modern drive train and suspension and brakes.... slam the body and some nice wheels... but the overall look and body, booth inside and out will stay pretty much stock....

136 were made, you should order the build sheet, it's worth the $20, mines 127, built the day before production stopped. They're beauts n worth saving. How'd it get "dropped" in your lap?

Where can I order this build sheet? I would like to do that.... My friend is a hollywood actor, and he has had it sitting in this dirt lot for like 15 years.... so he ask me to do something with it... restore it, or chop it for him for a hollywood cruiser. So, as usual, I start with my research... and it seems to be that it would be better to restore it... so i guess it will occupy 25% of my garage floor for the next 1-2 years... If I wanted it bad enough for my own he would probably just give it to me, or sale it to me for next to nada, he is that type of friend, and that type of a man, really amazing person.. just a real stand up kind of guy, ...... but its not my style, although a beautiful car.. And I am excited to see her restored. So, my plan is to start sometime first quarter of next year,,,, as that is when I should be finished building my new garage, and all the other projects are in or near a finished state, thank god:-)

As you probably know, any history like famous or notorious previous owners can increase value quite a bit. Do you have documentation of the previous owners? Any feathers in the back seat?:rolleyes:

Trying to get this... not easy, but we do know its history..,any ideas????. and we are sure of her history, but to find evidence and to prove it, yes... it is a needed step.

There were several V-12's at Pebble Beach last year, haven't seen 2014 results yet, but yours could be next!

lol... :-) shooting for 2016:-)

Edited by pauldana (see edit history)

A forum member contacted me and sent me this article.....this is in fact the same car!! and it has the Cadalac engine in it:-)

Question... should I keep the Cadlac engine Sally put in, or put the V-12 back in it... which would make the car more valuable?

scan0001_zps8437edca.jpg[/urlscan0002_zps69fc355c.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The v12 was not considered reliable, so that's probably why the v8 was put in. Also the post-war grille and bumpers were considered more stylish than the 42 grille and bumpers (at the time).

Given the rarity of the 42 model and the cleaner look of the 42 grille and bumpers, you could do a full restoration to original, which could be worth a lot. Or you could restore it to what it was made to be, using the grille you've got and the v8, because of the provenance of the feather dancer maybe being of value to someone. Either way, I think its a rare enough car that restomoding it would be a shame.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...