Hershey on Saturday: Stick around for the kids!

greenie

I know, it's a long week. Set up on Tuesday, deal with the weather, by Friday evening you're ready to pack up and head home. But there is one segment of the hobby we forget as we leave early. School age kids- you know, the future of this hobby. If they can't play hooky on Friday, they arrive to a flea market field that is nearly vacant. Sure they can enjoy the car show and what remains of the car corral. In years past, Saturday was a busy day in the flea market area. But then vendors started leaving early, and then shoppers stopped coming because the fields were so empty. This year, let's reverse that trend. We'll be in GAI 18-19; and we'll be open at least until 2pm. Hope you'll join us.

I agree, it is disappointing. However, it isn't just Saturday. Through the last 10 years I have been attending, it seems like a lot of the vendor spaces have been taken just for parking. I find it rather disconcerting to walk down an aisle and find one whole side used for parking. I guess Hershey Region doesn't care because the spaces are rented.

Be careful here. When you see a long line of parked cars, that can be space used for Region volunteer parking. There are certainly spaces being used as parking, some by active vendors who have to park their vehicle somewhere; and others who reserve a space each year just to get a convenient spot. In the middle are a large group of folks who try to adhere to the spirit of the rules by placing a few parts behind their vehicle with "self-service" sales. Asking the Region, of which I am not a member, to "police" all this is not resonable. They have neither the time nor inclination. We all need to follow the rules as best we can so everyone has an enjoyable time.

Ron you are correct, the long lines of cars are indeed for the volunteers. They absolutely deserve it as they are giving up their time to allow the rest of us to enjoy being there. At least they can be given access to parking. Your last sentence says it all, maybe unreasonable to expect but personal accountability is something that should indeed be expected.

This will be my 40th Hershey and I'm only 50 years old. As a kid, I always recalled Saturday being the "big day". I also recall the individual club car shows on Sunday - such fun. Sad to say but this will also be my first Hershey without my father as he passed away in June at the age of 83. He restored many cars and received 1st place awards at Hershey in the 1970's and 1980's. He lived for Hershey! I will be vending his 40 year collection of rare car parts in the Chocolate field next week. He would have wanted me to continue this annual tradition. Everyone in the Hershey AACA Region always does such a great job organizing this event. Thank you.