Take heed about old tires, lost a friend to a blow out... 1936 Morgan 3 wheeler..

Dandy Dave

A very close friend of mine was killed several days ago while riding in his 1936 Morgan 3 Wheeler Super Sport. The police report believes the cause of the crash was from a faulty rear tire that blew out. I have had a hard time with this tragedy the last few days as this fellow was a very close friend and even my Best man when I married years ago. Even though my marriage did not last our friendship has endured for over 30 years. Some of you that have toured the Hudson Valley may have been to his place, Wings Castle in the Millbrook, New York area. He loved to walk around The Hershey fall flea market and swap meet. In the early 80s he bought a 1907 single Cylinder Cadillac in bushel baskets and boxes, that he later put back together, at the Hershey Meet. It had all the documentation that it once belonged to the King of Egypt. He would sometimes take it to local shows and parades. He will sorely be Missed. Dandy Dave!

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2014/09/29/millbrook-wing-car-crash/16455445/

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Dave,

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. From the write up, it sounds like he was quite a dynamic talented guy who contributed much to his community. It looks like the world will be a poorer place without him.

As to tires, your warning is right on. I just got my 1950 Crosley back on the road, and the tires have very little mileage on them (the little rubber "hairs" are still on the treads). The tires look new, but on closer inspection, the sidewalls are severely cracked, rendering the tires unsafe to use. I think a lot of us hobbyists have or have acquired cars that have sat somewhere for years on "new" tires, which have been rendered unsafe by their age and poor storage techniques (flat spots causing undetected sidewall damage etc.). Hopefully the tragic loss of your friend will remind the rest of us to closely inspect our "new" tires.

Sorry for your loss,

Grog

Pete was a great guy. I met him many years ago when I lived on the East Coast. Pete, myself and several others worked together to start the HCCA's first Pre-1916 Swap Meet in Rhinebeck, New York. I remember the Castle and the Cadillac very well. He was indeed a character and just an overall great guy. He will surely be missed.

Dave,

Sorry for the loss of your friend -- certainly a loss to our hobby.

I believe I met him years ago at Hershey, as we talked Moggie Trikes.

Marty

I've had this discussion with too many people who still believe they can use tires that look new but have many years on them. I'm sad it took your friend and maybe, just maybe his death will save the lives of others. Small consolation but huge in terms of someone else's possible fate with tires they may have on a car at this very moment.

It always saddens me to hear of such losses. Thank you for informing those of us who otherwise may not have heard about it.

Tires? I don't know. I have had a lot less trouble with thirty-to-forty-year-old tires than I have with newer tires. One of the most important questions, is whether the casing is cotton cord or not? Even a minute amount of rubber checking will allow moisture inside, and the cotton fibers rot (becoming very unsafe, very fast). Nylon and other synthetic fiber casings do not rot and can usually be rather badly checked, yet still be safe (provided the tire was properly manufactured in the first place).

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Wayne Sheldon

At the risk of seeming heartless:

What evidence is there that the failure of the rear tire on this Morgan was related to an OLD tire? It is not in the cited articles concerning the accident.

I am only writing this because it may save someone else someday. Peter had the Morgan for a number of years. I had told him recently that if the tires were old, do not play around with them, replace them. The tires that were on it, were on it when he got it. The mind set of an old Yankee farmer is that you do not spend a nickel on anything that looks half good. (The man built a Castle from stone walls, abandoned railroad bridges, falling down buildings, and other recycled materials.) I have learned the cause of the crash was due to the rear tire blowing out and the cycle car going into a death wobble. He was coming back from a picnic of the local chapter of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America. It over turned and he was ejected and then the cycle rolled over him. He was conscious right after the crash and asked how the cycle looked, and said do not tell my wife. He Passed on route to the hospital and was pronounced dead at the hospital. This is a hard thing to hear and understand. I just hope it may save an onlooker from the same fate someday. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Sorry to learn this. He must have been a very interested/talented friend.

Dale in Indy

Dale, Yes and Yes. In Art, Construction, and Mechanics, we were an inspiration to each other. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Guest Michael Whitehead

In the mid-fifties, I was an apprentice at deHavilland in the UK.

I remember one of the other apprentices who had a three-wheeler Morgan being injured by a similar accident.

He said that his rear tire blew out while he was on a curve. The car flipped over but he survived.

The "moggie" is a fine looking sporty vehicle, but is not very forgiving.

Mike Whitehead.