1934 Windscreen Wipe Motor

Ian_Greenlaw

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me the model of the windscreen wiper motors used in a 34 Dodge Sedan. I assume its a Trico.

Also where the vaccum tube runs to. I don't have the wipers at all and I was thinking of putting in a cable driven system but I don't think I can get the tube up the front window pillar.

Any thoughts ?

Hi Ian,

I thought they would be electric as I have currently been working on my 33 wiper which is electric. I didn't think about it till I read your post so maybe mine has been altered.

It did have 2 but the passenger side hole through the cab has been blanked off with a bolt through it.

I couldn't find any mention of wipers in the handbook either. Definatly not in the wiring diagram so it probably was altered.

Can any 33 owners enlighten us?

Did they have a 'lazy arm' to drive the 2nd wiper or separate motors in sinc?

I have used those cable in a housing setups before and I was able to get the tube thru the A-pillar. One could also use electric wiper motors from a boat supplier, although these would not be in sync. I doubt if you will find either of these in 6 volts.

The master parts book I have don't list a electric wiper motor till 39 in the US. They were not in sinc till the 39s?

Thanks for that info. My very original car just lost some more points. Not that anyone would notice the difference from what shows of the wipers.

But We know!

I have used those cable in a housing setups before and I was able to get the tube thru the A-pillar. One could also use electric wiper motors from a boat supplier, although these would not be in sync. I doubt if you will find either of these in 6 volts.

I was lucky. Yesterday I fitted a NOS aftermarket electric from the era that was made in Germany. attached it to a NOS Mopar switch in behind the sun visor.

(Ian, I got it from John Biddle but I don't think he has any more) said "I forgot I had that".

Hi Graham,

I've found that most electric motors wont fit between hole in the body when the stem goes through and the bulkhead panel. All electric ones I've seen are too large ( not sure how much room you have on your 33 ).

Do you remember what type of electric motor it was and model number ( and dimensions would be good too )

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me the model of the windscreen wiper motors used in a 34 Dodge Sedan. I assume its a Trico.

Also where the vaccum tube runs to. I don't have the wipers at all and I was thinking of putting in a cable driven system but I don't think I can get the tube up the front window pillar.

Any thoughts ?

Here's a few shots of mine, will add more Model DL says on wiper hard to see,,,, vac,s off bottom of carb...

post-70464-143142762648_thumb.jpg

post-70464-143142762666_thumb.jpg

post-70464-143142762648_thumb.jpg

post-70464-143142762666_thumb.jpg

Graham, Thanks I did get your message.....just been a busy weekend and haven't had time to scratch myself.

Steve, thanks again for the pics, I did get a message from a guy on ebay which was rather interesting so I'll post that later today.

Dep5....thanks for the link, again it's getting close to what the guy on ebay says......have a read of this when I post it. Interesting info on a tricky subject.

Don't worry, I'll copy and paste when I get home tonight.

Here's the response from the guy on ebay :

Here is what my Trico Book says.

A 1934 Dodge Sedan Closed Car Takes:

KSB-286-1 Drivers Side

KSB-288 Passenger side.

However, upon closer inspection of the book it says Service Motor : KSB-386 Drivers side and KSB-385 Pass. Side can be used with 1934 Dodge Sedan with this note****"Remove Control Lever From the Service Motor and substitute Lever from Old Motor."

So with that being said, I have a RH Passenger Side Wiper Motor for sale right now: Item # 281453977363. Indicated to fit 1938 Dodge, but can be used with the Control Lever from a KSB-288.

The motor would work, but you would need the control lever from a KSB-288.

Here's the info from the link above that dep5 provided :

The originals were KSB 286 and KSB 287 (left and right). Most often the model # of the motor was stenciled onto the stamped steel valve cover with purple ink. Someone else will know if only 1 wiper (driver's side) was standard or if all models had a pair. I highly recommend Ficken Wiper Service and it's money well spent if you have it serviced first before you install it.

Heres the reply from Graham ( beetles bailey ) :

The one I took out is a Preslite model 60 c.

It has 3" clearance from cab to rear of motor.

There was a plastic toggle switch behind it in an original hole. (my 33 has a body by Dodge) The wiper arm has a tapered spline inside a brass 'sleeve' about 3/8" long and 1/2" diam.

Unfortunately this spline has stripped rendering it useless till I can come up with a replacement for this piece.

The one I fitted is from Germany.

The following is printed on the box;

S W F - SCHEIBENWISCHER

50 MM KLEMMLANGE

6 VOLT

(the numbers are stamped on where as the rest is printed.)

Now, the 50 mm is interesting as it is longer that the old one I took out but wont fit behind the "header".

However I put the header on a sand bag and beat out a dome to accept it.

(It is hidden by the visor so I am not too concerned) It has a switch in the end so it was made to be exposed so I bought a Mopar push pull switch to mount through the original hole in the header but it is too long in behind so I ran wires across the back of the header to the passengers side and mounted it there behind the visor.

I might get a 'dead man's arm and run 2.