1922 Buick 6 differences within the model year?

tblack

I finally got around to pulling out a couple of my spare engines to free up and have ready in case they might be needed..(cheap insurance) I cleaned up a late year model the number was appoximately 875000 and an early year model number approx 796000. When I opened the pan on the late year model I found that it used pressurized oiling on the the center mains like the 23 engine, the dipper troughs had shields on top and the the pump and oiling assembly were also like 1923. On the early model I found what I expected no main bearing pressurized oiling and the dipper troughs were not shielded. Was there a change mid year or do I have a 1922 fitted with 1923 center bearing caps, oil pump and oiling manifold?? These engines are for sure 1922 as they use the older style starter generator

Tblack

Tom, is there any way that you could post some photos of this engine since you have things opened up? One sure way to determine if the engine you have is a '23 is to measure the main and rod journals.

I believe Brian and I talked about this before - Buick engineering knew what was coming for 1924 so they pulled the cranktrain forward for the 1923 model year. I believe I have been told that the journals increased in width along with an increased diameter for '23. Please correct me if I am in error on that. I know for fact that a 1923 crank will not drop into a 1922 crankcase.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Makes me wonder if the real transition year for the lower end was in fact 1922, and there is a mixed bag of releases during '22?

Or, did someone make some changes on their own based on parts they had on hand?

Did the 1922 Block stamped # make sense and fit the range for 1922 blocks? I'd start there.

How does the Master Parts Book handle 1922 lower end parts? Does it show both 22 and earlier and 23 also?

(Our Doctor of Motors in Sweden needs to help us with a review of the Master Parts Book)

Just my 2 cents but it is important, at least for me, because at some point I would like to purchase a parts engine and it sounds like I need to stick to 1923 only.

Tom,

Are those two engines the ones you got from me? I know 2 were 23 and one 22 with the broken arm.

Does the late one have stamped plate with #, or stamped in the aluminum crankcase.

I have plans to come out your way late Oct or early Nov.

John

Makes me wonder if the real transition year for the lower end was in fact 1922, and there is a mixed bag of releases during '22?

Or, did someone make some changes on their own based on parts they had on hand?

Did the 1922 Block stamped # make sense and fit the range for 1922 blocks? I'd start there.

How does the Master Parts Book handle 1922 lower end parts? Does it show both 22 and earlier and 23 also?

(Our Doctor of Motors in Sweden needs to help us with a review of the Master Parts Book)

Just my 2 cents but it is important, at least for me, because at some point I would like to purchase a parts engine and it sounds like I need to stick to 1923 only.

Both engines fit in the window of 1922's per the judging manual. The engines are early in the run and the other is late. Both use the older style Starter Generator that ended in 1922. If anyone else has a late run 1922 and can remember if it had pressurized center mains that might tell some thing ...I have John Beatty's 22 engine here but I never opened the lower end to look. It also is late in the 1922 year engine run. Per pictures I closed the second engine today.