1956 Front Clip Removal

1956century

Hi all,

It looks like I will need to remove my Dynaflow to replace the front seals as the leak just went from a couple of drips in the winter to a quart every time I park the car. Surprisingly, the torque ball doesn't leak, but I will probably replace those seals while I'm there. I was considering removing the engine and transmission together, detailing them along with the engine bay, and then reassembling.

When in comes to the front clip, do you recommend removing it all at once or piece by piece?

I understand that this could very easily spiral out of control, but the idea of a detailed engine bay is intriguing. The car had a repaint years ago but still shows well. The engine bay is still original.

Thanks

It only takes about an afternoon to remove the front sheet metal, piece by piece. Only help you need is with the hood.Not a big deal and makes everything else sooooo easy .....Bob
It's not hard, just time consuming but well worth the time. You can make the engine bay look like new and what else will you do this winter?

What they said.... hopefully you won't have to paint the firewall as that can get rather tedious. You will want to strip and prime the inner fender wells and radiator cross member and shroud etc. Cleaning and painting the engine while in the car is not easy and you would not be happy with the finished job. We would love to follow your progress perhaps in a Me and My Buick thread

I did the same job over the span of a winter. Redoing the firewall wasn't too much of a job. The hardest part was removing all of the factory undercoating that they used on the firewall to plug up holes. After the engine was removed I made a seat out of a 2x6 which sat on top of the shocks. I just sat down and worked on the firewall. The effort was well-worth the results. Here are some shots:

post-72478-143142747926_thumb.jpg

post-72478-14314274792_thumb.jpg

post-72478-143142747924_thumb.jpg

post-72478-14314274792_thumb.jpg

post-72478-143142747924_thumb.jpg

post-72478-143142747926_thumb.jpg