1910 INKWELL DEPICTING A CHAIN DRIVE MERCEDES GP CAR

I have a lovely 1910 INKWELL in silver over bronze, depicting an early Mercedes Chain Drive Gran Prix car racing with driver and riding mechanic. It is correctly signed by the sculptor "W. Frick" and has the correct "KAISER" foundry mark, and the old Germany "ALEMEN'A" mark also stamped on the bottom. It has two hinged compartments, one for the ink bottle under the hood, and another for stamps under the spare wheels. It is in truly fantastic condition, with clear details and markings. It is about 15 inches long and about 8 inches wide which includes the attached tray which depicts the race track surface. The whole piece weighs 6.5 lbs, and is absolutely genuine.post-93470-143142745546_thumb.jpg Asking $5,000.

post-93470-143142745538_thumb.jpg

post-93470-143142745544_thumb.jpg

post-93470-143142745538_thumb.jpg

post-93470-143142745544_thumb.jpg

post-93470-143142745546_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Peter, several of these have sold "recently" and in fact a local guy had one dropped by someone who just did not want it anymore. Your piece looks in pristine condition which is great, some tend to have ill-fitting hoods. I can only report that the most recent ones I have seen have sold for less. I believe Bonham's sold one this past year.

Your inkwell,is just beautiful ,and the price of $5.000.00 is very fair,,today fine art like your inkwell is very hard to fine.

If the inkwell was mine,it would be in a glass case to keep it dust free.

thank you sharing it with us.

Thanks for your nice comment -- it is in a glass case to keep it dust free. I found this beautiful inkwell in an antique shop that specialized in automobilia in San Telmo the antique shop area of Buenos Ares, Argentina. It wasn't cheap, but now I need to find it a new home.

I also bought a mid-1920's silver over bronze inkwell depicting a Zagato bodied Alfa Romeo 6C1500 or 6C1750 with driver and co-driver finishing the Targa Florio that I also want to sell. I'll post photos in a little bit. (I just had my 1939 Lincoln Zephyr sedan transported from California to Virginia and I need to pay for that!)

post-93470-143142790736_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your nice comment -- it is in a glass case to keep it dust free. I found this beautiful inkwell in an antique shop that specialized in automobilia in San Telmo the antique shop area of Buenos Ares, Argentina. It wasn't cheap, but now I need to find it a new home.

I also bought a mid-1920's silver over bronze inkwell depicting a Zagato bodied Alfa Romeo 6C1500 or 6C1750 with driver and co-driver finishing the Targa Florio that I also want to sell. I'll post photos in a little bit. (I just had my 1939 Lincoln Zephyr sedan transported from California to Virginia and I need to pay for that!)

Here are photos of the Alfa Romeo inkwell mentioned above. It is in very fine condition and the price is a very fair $3,500 with free shipping in the continental US

post-93470-143142790739_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jim, I was teasing! Yes, I do remember. I also remember that BMW (or AFM) based roadster that I found for you. You restored it and it was featured in a Motor Trend Retrospect article. Do you remember that Siata Daina "fast back" berlinetta with a Chevy II engine that was parked in a driveway in Manhattan Beach? Those were good times! I miss them.

Peter

I have a lovely 1910 INKWELL in silver over bronze, depicting an early Mercedes Chain Drive Gran Prix car racing with driver and riding mechanic. It is correctly signed by the sculptor "W. Frick" and has the correct "KAISER" foundry mark, and the old Germany "ALEMEN'A" mark also stamped on the bottom. It has two hinged compartments, one for the ink bottle under the hood, and another for stamps under the spare wheels. It is in truly fantastic condition, with clear details and markings. It is about 15 inches long and about 8 inches wide which includes the attached tray which depicts the race track surface. The whole piece weighs 6.5 lbs, and is absolutely genuine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]272190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]272191[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]272192[/ATTACH] Asking $5,000.

MUST SELL, PLEASE MAKE A NEAR OFFER!

Peter You did show me a photo but we discovered the previous owner's name on the back....... after I brought it. Your inkwell is a beauty and should get that price. But not here..... or even EBay but a special auction like David Gooding's I've never seen a bronze one silver plated. And never seen a plated signed...... doesn't mean they never plated bronze

Steve there are a lot of copies (fakes) around. Some made of plaster without an opening rear lid.

Jim, I've seen the plaster fakes -- really crude! My inkwell is definitely NOT a fake! Many signed bronze sculptures have been plated, in nickel and silver plate. Many signed radiator mascots made before the 1930s were plated bronze. I agree that perhaps a famous auction house might be the best place to sell this.

Peter Zobian