Windshield belt molding and sweep spear retainers

WillBilly53

YESSS!.....................Bob

Yes you have photos or yes you have a resource for the rear sweep spear retainers? I must be a little slow.

I found this thread: http://forums.aaca.org/f162/53-skylark-sweep-spear-stainless-molding-343102.html

I didn't realize that the retainers/bolts are welded to the moulding. I am also scared to death to drill through the moulding?! That just doesn't seem right.

I was unclear. The "YESSS" in caps was my my of encouraging you to fabricate your clips. If pieces need to to be "welded" to the back of stainless there are ways to work around that. If its a bolt that needs "welding" then weld or braze the bolt (cut the head off) to a piece of 1/16 or so sheet steel that is shaped to fit the molding inside contour. With the proper flux the sheet metal clip can then be soft soldered to the back of the molding. Carefully done there will be no warpage and little or no discoloration of the stainless.With your artists eye it's only a small step from visualization to realization...........Bob

I was unclear. The "YESSS" in caps was my my of encouraging you to fabricate your clips. If pieces need to to be "welded" to the back of stainless there are ways to work around that. If its a bolt that needs "welding" then weld or braze the bolt (cut the head off) to a piece of 1/16 or so sheet steel that is shaped to fit the molding inside contour. With the proper flux the sheet metal clip can then be soft soldered to the back of the molding. Carefully done there will be no warpage and little or no discoloration of the stainless.With your artists eye it's only a small step from visualization to realization...........Bob

Ahh, I gotcha! Thanks for the encouragement! My brain is a little swiss cheese as I try to finish up all these loose ends to get her ready for my wedding next Saturday!

Okay, so what you explained sounds very doable. Luckily I have two sets of those big sweep spear trim pieces in case my artists eye goes a little blurry :)

Thank you for that step by step explanation, Bob!

Either steel or stainless would be OK. Both can be brazed, welded, or soft soldered to each other. SS is, however, tougher to cut/drill etc and it's doubtful rust will be an issue. Personally I would use steel because it's common and easy to work or weld...........Bob

Either steel or stainless would be OK. Both can be brazed, welded, or soft soldered to each other. SS is, however, tougher to cut/drill etc and it's doubtful rust will be an issue. Personally I would use steel because it's common and easy to work or weld...........Bob

Gotcha, I think I'll go with just the steel. That's a good point about the stainless being tougher to cut/drill. Thank you Bob, I'll post back about how it goes!