Plans for cradle to hold straight 8?

jcmiller

My early Hemi manual says that a 392 weighs 767 pounds dry, so add fluids, starter etc. Scattershield is WAY heavier than an aluminum bellhousing. Plus a steel flywheel and a clutch assy. Then the tranny. I can see this thing easily weighing over a thousand lbs.

I can still roll it easily over my smooth shop floor as well as off and onto my cardboard paint booth.

Thats alot of groceries.

Many years ago I bought a 472 cid crate Hemi (a real POS I am afraid) and if I remember correctly it shipped at 690#. I think I can check that tomorrow, Shouldn't be to far off from the 392.

With that size of the oil cooler lines, they are as big as 18 wheelers oil cooler!!!

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I finally finished my carts and now have the engines loaded. I had to shim the back of one because of the enormous bellhousing. I used 3 inch channel for the rails and 2 inch channel for the crosspieces. The spacing is 9 1/4 inches. I would increase it an eighth or a quarter if I did it again because it's a pretty tight squeeze. I went with 3 inch wheels to make it easier to roll, but the wheels rub against the pan when turned inwards. So it would be better to use 4 inch rails or maybe go with smaller wheels. I originally had brakes on all the wheels but took the brakes off the rear wheels for that same reason.

post-71066-143142919143_thumb.jpg

post-71066-143142919138_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I like the look of this setup, while it may be a bit overkill, it does not seem to hard to achieve for the piece of mind. I will likely be working on my CD8 engine for a few months, so rather be safe than sorry. thanks for suggesting this old thread. Gunsmoke