Plans for cradle to hold straight 8?

jcmiller

I welded up very tight fit low profile engine dollies for my chrysler straight eights/ truck 331/413 sixes and the smaller 218/230 ply/dodge engines...

They take up no more floor space than just the size of the engine and the engine pan rails rest on the dollie. Extremely stable .

post-62228-143142741998_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143142742007_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143142742016_thumb.jpg

These would be perfect. Are they two rails joined just at the rear, or is there another cross piece up front?

The rear rail bar looks same as the two sides and just fits up between the bell housing and engine. There also is a curved heavy strap bar 3/4's of the way to the front of the dollie.

Curved to fit the pan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I welded up very tight fit low profile engine dollies for my chrysler straight eights/ truck 331/413 sixes and the smaller 218/230 ply/dodge engines...

They take up no more floor space than just the size of the engine and the engine pan rails rest on the dollie. Extremely stable .

Do you find that this setup is stable in the side to side direction? I like the idea, but these engines are so tall and narrow, I'm worried they would topple over when trying to push sideways.

Finally, an official weight. I was thinking 800. I looked for shopping carts on Craigs List but there were only a few and were quite expensive. I'm going with C49er's suggested design for now, although I think I'm going make both the front and the back like the back on the one he just made, instead of doing the curved portion. If I use 3" channel for the sides, I should have enough clearance for the front of the pan. I'm also thinking about trying to bolt the pieces together because I don't have welding equipment yet.

Yes, thanks for that and also for taking all the pictures. I know Bob has seen dozens of these, but is helpful to me to see the pictures with the names.

All is welcome. We do this also because we have to know the weight and sizes to ship. Killing 2 birds with one stone the old saying.