Which straight 8 Lycoming engine?

Attitude928

Guest prewar40

I'm sure that engine is a Lycoming 2H 276.1 CID, 3 1/8 x 4 ½. post-37292-143142749955_thumb.jpg

I believe this is a picture of the other side of that engine - a 1925 Gardner.

post-37292-143142749955_thumb.jpg

I'm sure that engine is a Lycoming 2H 276.1 CID, 3 1/8 x 4 ½. [ATTACH=CONFIG]272634[/ATTACH]

I believe this is a picture of the other side of that engine - a 1925 Gardner.

Nice policework Bob...so are there any other 1925 2DR Sports Sedans out there? Would there be any interest for this car out on the field? Was the "LYcoming H?? Vertical L-head" engine one that Gardner really used in the 8As? (please see: http://classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=1709&year=1925&model=9161)

Enjoy Hershey!

Jordan

Edited by Attitude928 (see edit history)

Guest prewar40

The Lycoming H engine was build in 1924 & 1925; Gardner never used this model. In 1925 Gardner did use the Lycoming 2H, half way into the 1926 models

they went to the Lycoming 4H at 299 CID. The Lycoming 4HM was used in 1927 and early 1928 Gardners. Later models used the Lycoming MD series these were the Gardner big eights.. All were L-head. The car you found was called Brougham by Gardner, later 2-door brougham. I've been told of 2 others like this one but have been unable to locate them, and I'm not sure they even exist. They were only built for about 5 months so not many were made.

Thanks Bob. I was calling it a 2 door Sports Sedan based on the oval 3rd window pictured on the "1925" page from your excellent and extensive website: http://gardnermotorcars.com/1925.html

I'm sorry that I'm not going to be able to see your roadster at Hershey. I'm flying up to Brookline, MA to play golf at The Country Club with one of my buddies. It's where a poor caddy named Francis Ouimet beat Harry Vardon for the 1913 U.S. Open championship. Ouimet became a national hero and caused the popularization of golf throughout the United States. I guess that's why they made golf club doors on Roadsters like yours. Any experience with shipping cars from overseas?

Guest prewar40

Gardner did have the oval window and landau irons on the 4-dr Sport Sedan, but I've never seen those on the 2-dr brougham. Those could be an after market or special request to the factory. I've never shipped a car overseas and I've heard horror stories, I hope you can find someone that has done it.

I believe there are some better cars for the money right now on my web site. I do not get a commission, so that's my honest opinion, and that is based on seeing the car not just the pictures.

-----Golf before Hershey??? ----

Good advice Bob. I appreciate it. Hershey was never on my screen. Before my last two recent purchases (1925 Franklin 11A & 1989 Bentley Turbo R), my oldest car was a 1962 RHD Morris Mini that was modified at John Cooper's shop in the 60s. My interest in "real old" cars was precipitated when my son & I went to the Atlantic Region Rolls Royce Owners Club Concours a few weeks ago. We scored a ride in a Phantom I and then I started learning about some of these quality-assembled gems. That led to the Franklin purchase. The golf date was set this past summer. Otherwise I would cut work and go to Hershey on the Thursday.

post-103387-143142759505_thumb.png

post-103387-14314275948_thumb.png

post-103387-14314275948_thumb.png

post-103387-143142759505_thumb.png

Edited by Attitude928 (see edit history)