Steering Wheel Issue

stevep516

Hey Guys,

Need a little help..............Today was such a beautiful afternoon in Central Va. I decided to take my Packard out for a short drive. It wasn't long before I felt the steering wheel lock up going down the highway. (Talking about pucker factor...............) I was able to break it loose and get the car home. I pulled the steering wheel off and I found a small part rattling around under the wheel. I've looked in my parts book and can't find out what it should look like, but it appears that something is missing , a spring maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1940 110 Conv Coupe

post-49852-143142740843_thumb.jpg

Thanks

The little round plug goes in the end of the shift tube and should be a fairly snug fit. For some reason it is not shown on the column drawing but believe it would be the 3.320 plug. There should be a spring associated with the plug which would be the 3.318 anti rattler. The entire assy works to keep any vibration or "buzz" developed by the shift tube under control.

Here is a photo of a 47 column showing how the pieces fit together. On this unit the spring ends fit around notches under the turn signal switch. Not sure how the spring mounts on your column unless there are some notches or holes in those two round flat topped nubs.

post-43944-143142740865_thumb.jpg

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

The spring has a slight bow on the legs which when installed does put a bit of pressure against the plug to push toward the side and also tends to keep the plug and the shift tube up against the housing. The 47 has an almost identical shift tube arrangement but since the spring hooks under the turn signal switch the legs may be a bit longer than the one used on your car. There are a couple of different "anti-rattler" pieces listed in the 35-41 parts manual.

I don't have a photo of the complete 47 spring alone and doubt it would be the same for your car anyway but this photo shows the mounting ends. They slide under the switch and when in position raise the end of the spring which fits in the plug groove. Hopefully someone will have a photo of your model to post here or at packardinfo.

post-43944-143142743219_thumb.jpg

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

The spring has a slight bow on the legs which when installed does put a bit of pressure against the plug to push toward the side and also tends to keep the plug and the shift tube up against the housing. The 47 has an almost identical shift tube arrangement but since the spring hooks under the turn signal switch the legs may be a bit longer than the one used on your car. There are a couple of different "anti-rattler" pieces listed in the 35-41 parts manual.

I don't have a photo of the complete 47 spring alone and doubt it would be the same for your car anyway but this photo shows the mounting ends. They slide under the switch and when in position raise the end of the spring which fits in the plug groove. Hopefully someone will have a photo of your model to post here or at packardinfo.

Howard,

Thank you very much for the follow up and response.

Regards,

Steve P