Front Speaker Issue

Lkvr

I was working on the front passenger speaker today. The front passenger speaker was generating a continuous buzzing sound. I replaced it with a passenger speaker from a front passenger speaker from a TC I found in a yard. The buzzing stop. Now I find out that none of the front four speakers work. The buzzing was so loud in the past that I had the knob turned completely to the back to avoid the buzzing as much as possible.

Well there is a momentary success. No more buzzing from the front passenger speaker.

Now the next question is, what is wrong with the front four speakers?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

I was working on the front passenger speaker today. The front passenger speaker was generating a continuous buzzing sound. I replaced it with a passenger speaker from a front passenger speaker from a TC I found in a yard. The buzzing stop. Now I find out that none of the front four speakers work. The buzzing was so loud in the past that I had the knob turned completely to the back to avoid the buzzing as much as possible.

Well there is a momentary success. No more buzzing from the front passenger speaker.

Now the next question is, what is wrong with the front four speakers?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

With everything covered it actually takes longer to get to where you can find the problem than it does to find the problem. If I was there with some pretty simple test equipment it wouldn't take long to find your problem as it will be in one of two places. Everything I can tell you to find it yourself is in this article http://www.allpar.com/stereo/speaker-repair.html and if you don't have the tools it will only help you to understand what to look for.

You got a used speaker and now you have a problem, before that you had all sound sent to rear speakers and noise in the front. Been there myself and these potted amps are a pain; even with the tools I have. First place to look is your new speaker, could be the on-board amp is pulling down all front amp power and first thing to do is unplug the new speaker to see if the front comes back to life. By now you may have blown an internal radio fuse and you will need a multi meter to find this, or the joystick needs cleaning and this is the easy radio fix if you're lucky.

If you have a good solder iron and decide to redo your on-board amp, I make one suggestion to the repair instructions from the Allpar site and that is to take the bottom off the amp casing with a belt sander, RTV will seal this up when you're done and it makes getting into the case so much easier. Don't sand to deep, just cut enough to to remove the bottom plastic cover.

Two good sources for replacement door speakers are old Grand Caravans with Infinity sound, the dash speaks are perfect fit and the tweets cut free from the system, Old Bose cube speaks fit and sound great without the on-board amp, direct connect sound only, finding an old cube that works is really a matter of luck, the newer ones won't work here, but if you get lucky it solves a ton of problems.