1957 Ford Ranchero Restoration-Need advice!

Guest matt82

Hello everyone, I'm new on here, and new to restoring an automobile, so I need all the help I can get!

My father is giving me a 1957 Ranchero that he bought as a project a few years back. It has sat for a few years, after a tornado hit his home. The tornado took mmany of the parts he had for it, but the vehicle is intact. The previous owner had put a different engine and transmission in it and we have no idea what engine it is, except it's clearly a Ford motor. Probably from the 70s or 80s. The transmission is a muncie 4 speed. I need to know how to identify the exact engine and transmission. Where on the block would I find the serial number? Also how can I identify the transmission? Like I said I'm 100% new to this, so if I ask any dumb questions, please be patient with me. I'm sure more questions will follow. Thanks!

Please post some photos of the car and engine. Then we can tell you what engine it is and where the numbers on the engine may be located. Then we can tell you what it is once you find the numbers. If you need help posting photos, you can send them to me and I can post them for you. John

keiser31@charter.net