Cone Clutch Advice Sought

hddennis

Took my 1917 Maxwell out for a ride and I don’t really understand this cone clutch, does anyone here? When I first took the car out I had almost no clutch, it wouldn’t grab until the very top of pedal, I mean the last inch or so. I didn’t horse it but I think I may have been able to make it slip if I had tried. The pedal adjustment seemed just to be able to adjust the pedal to the floorboards. Not knowing what previous owner had done I marked each nut and counted the number of turns to remove it. Each one was 21 turns so I backed off 5 figuring it would make the clutch grab sooner. When I started it I heard a terrible racket and the inspection cover removal revealed I’d bent the studs over like bent nails, guess I went the wrong way? Since it is now apart my first suspicion about the clutch needing relining has proven false.

Howard Dennispost-33891-143142739575_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142739556_thumb.jpg

Howard, sorry for your clutch problem. You will have to get the studs replaced. The cone clutch material look hard. Should have been leather. You should have the clutch relined if the leather is hard or was relined with hard brake material. I relined cone clutch with soft Kevlar . Andy Garage 302-245-7276 Will be at Hershey space C4P 49-50. Stop by and we can talk more.Andy

Howard, sorry for your clutch problem. You will have to get the studs replaced. The cone clutch material look hard. Should have been leather. You should have the clutch relined if the leather is hard or was relined with hard brake material. I relined cone clutch with soft Kevlar . Andy Garage 302-245-7276 Will be at Hershey space C4P 49-50. Stop by and we can talk more. Andy

Thanks for the advice, luckily I looked through all my spare parts and located a spare spider. I was able to straighten a slightly bent stud and am now de-rusting it. When I get back from my trip I plan to reassemble everything and try re-adjusting the clutch till I get something I can live with. I had no trouble with the clutch as far as grabbing, it just was so out of adjustment it was almost non-functional.

Howard Dennis