'30 S Hupp transmissioin bearings

Guest dbDave

We got the barn style '30 S Hupp Six up and running and drivable last after being much dormant since 1948 ,and got everything working but the wiper, YEA!

The motor is very good but the transmission is way too loud and winey in tone .Not too bad in first but Is like a fire truck siren in second...You turn heads well before some one sees the car coming ,,It is Quiet in 3rd.

It's all smooth enough shifting through the gears but does also have a light fuzzy buzzy intermittent rattle too when you going through first and second..But not a growl. I'm use to the whirring of straight cut gears but its way TOO much for this type of car. with 65,000 miles.

From the top the gears look great, like new, Flushed out clean with no metal bits or particles and has good 600w in it.

I'm thinking maybe the those cage bearings in the cluster gear are shot and it's shaft worn.

Note: Past history , I was told it tossed second gear once in the '30s and I got a and extra second gear with the car .

Any thoughts on bearing replacement(actual numbers) bearing availability and cross reference of parts? I recall I heard someone say some Model A Ford transmission bearings are the same size?

Thanks, DdDave

After you tear down the transmission & get the part # call Northwestern Auto parts at 1-800-704-1078. They have a good inventory of bearings. When you get the trans back together add 10 per cent of this product, Moreys. The reason I say this is that I bought a parts car that had been under water for some time. I wanted the Hupp Superdrive transmission to put in my Hupp as it was a standard drive. I tour it down & replaced all the bearings. Added 10 Moreys& have driven the car 21,000 miles with no problems

post-60296-143142759979_thumb.jpg

post-60296-143142759979_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest American Vintage Parts

October 15, 2014

Dear Hupmobile Club Members,

We are delighted to inform you that we have recently acquired the NOS Factory Inventory from the Estate of H. Stanley Liddell. It is an honor to become a part of the preservation of Hupmobile automobiles.

Over the next several months, inventory will be relocated to our warehouse facilities in Oakwood, GA. Some parts have already become available for purchase on our website: AmericanVintageParts.com. You may also reach us through the rotational advertising banner located on the AACA website.

We expect to have most parts inventoried and available for sale within six months. For more immediate needs, please feel free to contact us at: AMERICANVINTAGEPARTS@GMAIL.COM.

Best Regards,

Kevin and Sally Johnson

American Vintage Parts

3642 Explorer Trail Suite B

Oakwood, GA 30566