Somebody save this one!

stakeside

A wonderful oily rag car. I hope it goes to an appreciative home.

The seller says the Dodge Brothers were Masons hence the iconic emblem. Does anyone have evidence for this?

I remember reading about the brothers' many charitable works but don't remember the Masons being mentioned. Please can someone confirm or refute this for me.

Thank you,

Ray.

There are many theories as to why the 6-pointed star is on the DB emblem. One is that the name Dodge starts with a "D" or "DELTA". There were two brothers, so they used 2 "D"s. One was inverted to produce what looks to be a Star of David.

There are many theories as to why the 6-pointed star is on the DB emblem. One is that the name Dodge starts with a "D" or "DELTA". There were two brothers, so they used 2 "D"s. One was inverted to produce what looks to be a Star of David.

As far as I know they were not Jewish either. I agree, there are many theories but few hard facts.

A wonderful oily rag car. I hope it goes to an appreciative home.

The seller says the Dodge Brothers were Masons hence the iconic emblem. Does anyone have evidence for this?

I remember reading about the brothers' many charitable works but don't remember the Masons being mentioned. Please can someone confirm or refute this for me.

Thank you,

Ray.

The Mason thing is very secretive.

It is a good looking car....but I sure don't see $15k there.

I truly do not understand vintage car prices. I think sometimes people think their car is worth way more than it is. Does this car look like it's worth $15k?

ETA. After looking at the pictures, I see $15k there! Very cool original!

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

It is a good looking car....but I sure don't see $15k there.

I truly do not understand vintage car prices. I think sometimes people think their car is worth way more than it is. Does this car look like it's worth $15k?

ETA. After looking at the pictures, I see $15k there! Very cool original!

Cars like this are time warps! Where would you find another one in such unspoilt condition?

A car can only be original once!

Ray.

It is a good looking car! Looks like a total survivor!

I have been wondering what the 'bracket looking thing' on the firewall was for. One of the pictures for this car shows it to be an oil can holder! So cool!!! I need to find me an old oil can now....

These oil cans don't have any DB markings on them and finding the right one (if that matters to you) is difficult. I bought mine through Ebay and had to pay a lot for it. I believe the provenance to be correct because it came complete with wire bracket from Bob Scafani who knows his stuff but if you are not that particular there are many similar looking cans out there for very little money.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

These oil cans don't have any DB markings on them and finding the right one (if that matters to you) is difficult. I bought mine through Ebay and had to pay a lot for it. I believe the provenance to be correct because it came complete with wire bracket from Bob Scafani who knows his stuff but if you are not that particular there are many similar looking cans out there for very little money.

Ray.

I looked for for oil cans and found thousands! Any idea where I can find a close facsimile?

So why oil can? I see grease fitting all over the car but the only oil port I can find is on the distributer? What else should I be oiling?

"I told you so!"

Forgive me, Mike, I couldn't resist!

With no identification markings it is darn near impossible to know if you have the original equipment or not. Mostly not. Needles in Haystacks come to mind and quite frankly does it really matter? It's just an old oil can and like you say, it has limited usefulness.

My purchase was described on here as "ridiculous" and my wife's comments are not even printable!:o. Apparently, I should have been carted off to the funny farm. I'm inclined to agree with her.

It's just an old oil can!

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

"I told you so!"

Forgive me, Mike, I couldn't resist!

With no identification markings it is darn near impossible to know if you have the original equipment or not. Mostly not. Needles in Haystacks come to mind and quite frankly does it really matter? It's just an old oil can and like you say, it has limited usefulness.

My purchase was described on here as "ridiculous" and my wife's comments are not even printable!:o. Apparently, I should have been carted off to the funny farm. I'm inclined to agree with her.

It's just an old oil can!

Ray.

LOL!

Since the can didn't have markings whose to say if it is OEM or not?! :)

Initially I thought $15K+ was a little high but time capsule cars such as this do seem to command high prices. Consider; if you paid say $14K and just drove it as is I suspect you would have a lot less invested than people (like me) who bought something needing full restoration for much less initial cost. I don't mean to sound like a nit picker but does the carburetor look right? I sure hope it went to a good home.

I don't mean to sound like a nit picker but does the carburetor look right? I sure hope it went to a good home.

Mike, he says in the ad that it's a Stromberg carb, the original comes with the car. I think it would be sacrilegious to rod this car. Doing that sort of thing is what has given hot rodders such a bad name amongst those of us who value and respect our motoring heritage. There are plenty of failed projects out there to make LSR or other race cars from.

Ray.

Does this mean that the car will run better if the air is not pre- heated by passing it through the block?

I don't suppose the temp gauge is original either - shouldn't it be a dog bone type with Dodge Brothers printed on it? So long as it's in period and more importantly, works, it doesn't look too out of place. I'm not sure about the interior door handle? - now that really is nit picking!!;)

This must be a rare model by now. I expect a RHD version in this original condition, ready to go, would be snapped up for 15K over here and that's £ not $ ! If I lived there I would have bought it.

I've been tempted before but in truth I would need more garage space and the local authority is pretty restrictive here.

Ray.

Does this mean that the car will run better if the air is not pre- heated by passing it through the block?

I don't suppose the temp gauge is original either - shouldn't it be a dog bone type with Dodge Brothers printed on it? So long as it's in period and more importantly, works, it doesn't look too out of place. I'm not sure about the interior door handle? - now that really is nit picking!!;)

This must be a rare model by now. I expect a RHD version in this original condition, ready to go, would be snapped up for 15K over here and that's £ not $ ! If I lived there I would have bought it.

I've been tempted before but in truth I would need more garage space and the local authority is pretty restrictive here.

Ray.

Oil can can look original Ray! ;-).

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's Dodge - neither it's wonderful patination nor the dirt cheap price he paid thereof...."

But sometimes the flesh be weak...;)

The only scripture I can find that deals with cars is about a Honda:

Acts 1:14 "These all continued in one Accord in prayer and supplication..."

I don't know where they were going but evidently they all packed into one car.