1960 DeSoto Questions

50Traveler

I am missing some prime garage time while I am recuperating from some surgery and trapped in front of bad TV. Maybe someone can answer a few questions about my DeSoto.

Was the chrome trim on the tail lights metal or plastic? Mine have been painted over with silver paint and I don't' want to clean them too aggressively until I know more.

The power seat does not function up/down or front/back, but will tilt. Is this a terror to explore and repair? I need more legroom and especially more floor room while I dig under the dash

Is there supposed to be a bulb behind the ignition switch like the Chrysler?

I am sore, bruised, and as weak as a newborn but I am eager to make any progress no matter how insignificant.

Thank you,

Justin

I have a 56 Imperial that the seat didnt work. I was able to clean up the motors and get them all working. It sounds like you have power, you just need to get all of the dust and dog hair and other things that end up under the seat cleaned up.

For under dash work I take the seat out. But another trick I use is to lay a plank or a piece of plywood on the door sill and support it outside of the car. This will allow you to get your upper body (head) under the dash while the rest of you is on this bed so to speak that runs from the door sill to what ever you use on your shop floor mostly outside of the car.

• 5 months later...
Guest adven60

I just bought a 60 adventure 4dr. and its missing the little chrome pieces on the tail lights.

Want to fix it up a little before sale.

Alan

I have just finished cleaning up my tail lights. The gaskets for the lenses were ,missing so they were almost opaque with dirt. The chrome chevrons were crudely glued in place and badly painted and I cleaned that up as best as I could.

I haven't found a source for jsut the chevrons but the complete lenses with them are available here:

http://www.ch300imp.com/laurie.htm

They are $350 for the pair.

Where did you find your DeSoto and what are your plans for it?

Justin

Guest adven60
I have just finished cleaning up my tail lights. The gaskets for the lenses were ,missing so they were almost opaque with dirt. The chrome chevrons were crudely glued in place and badly painted and I cleaned that up as best as I could.

I haven't found a source for jsut the chevrons but the complete lenses with them are available here:

http://www.ch300imp.com/laurie.htm

They are $350 for the pair.

Where did you find your DeSoto and what are your plans for it?

Justin

Thank you for the information regarding the tail lights.

I just found the Desoto, its been listed on this forum.

I would like to work on it, if it does not sell.

need to update add, V8 with one carb.

We fired it on a prime, but have not driven, brakes need work.

Alan

Be careful of George Laurie. Makes beautiful parts but he is A THIEF. Constant posts about him in the Forward Look group forum. Most recent a guy that sent him over $800 a year ago and got NOTHING. Been this way for over a decade. He needs to be run out of business so someone else can learn the trade who is HONEST.

Be careful of George Laurie. Makes beautiful parts but he is A THIEF. Constant posts about him in the Forward Look group forum. Most recent a guy that sent him over $800 a year ago and got NOTHING. Been this way for over a decade. He needs to be run out of business so someone else can learn the trade who is HONEST.

THANK YOU FOR THE WARNING. My '47's door frames have been with a woodgrainer for over a year. No money has changed hands yet but my parts have been held hostage for all that time and I can't drive it as much as I'd like since I have no way to secure the car. I am always wary of farming out work to others and usually settle for doing the best I can do myself. This time I wanted professional results but have had nothing but frustration for a year.

Justin