Newbie 11A Owner

Attitude928

Depending on the distance, I would guess that ~25% of the 100 or so cars at the Trek each year are driven there. Depending on the car, they usually take the back roads, but a late model Franklin with overdrive or high speed gears can take the freeways with no problem.

There is a nice large parking lot a few blocks away from the Franklin parking for trailers if you want to go that route.

I have to retrieve the car from West Virginia...then I'll get the VIN and join the club. How do members usually get the cars to the Treks...trailer, main 65mph highways or back roads?

You don't need a Franklin or a VIN # to join. You can always add that later to our roster of cars. Join as soon as possible so you can get that info on it's way to you. And a very big welcome to our family. You will find that you will be an equal member, no matter how many or what condition your Franklin,s are in, or indeed if you have one. We make it a habit not to stand on ceremony, condition, model or year.

Bill

Jordan, You just joined one of the best car clubs there is!!If you need any info someone is there to help.I always trailer my car to the Trek but I live in South Jersey so pretty good hike for me.. You would probably be better off trailering.There is plenty of room at Caz. for parking.Welcome to the club

Thanks guys. The Franklin will be initially trailered to Monroe Township, NJ, so my buddy Mark can go over the engine, etc. He does the mechanics, carbon fiber work and cosmetics on my cars and iceboats. He is also my "partner in crime" for various car and sailing events. By the end of October we'll move the 11A up to the Monticello area. I took a look at mapquest and old 17 and 11 run up to Syracuse along the highways. The plan would be to drive to the Trek. I figure it will be 1/2 to 1/3 of the speed that we are used to, but a lot of fun anyway. The Club seems very active throughout the U.S.

Steve, I spent my childhood summers in Suffolk County on a lake in Ridge. My family frequently traveled out to the North & South forks to visit friends during the summers. These days, when the cars a put away for the winter and if the ice forms on Eastern LI, I'll iceboat on Ronkonkoma, the Connequot River, Great South Bay or Mecox Bay. It's real nice out in your parts...

If the car has not been run, you MUST not turn it over until you have made absolutely certain that the valves are not stuck. This is essential. Wrap each lifter with a mallet to insure that each valve moves before turning it over otherwise you will certainly break an aluminum rocker box. Not a good thing, 'cause it won't run with a broken rocker box.

Also, the oil pump wears the aluminum plate between the pump and the pan just where the oil pump gears ride. Take off the pan, take off the oil pump and have the aluminum oil pump plate milled flat and true, and check the wear on the gears. This will provide you with good oil pressure, unless number 4 main is worn out, which will cause 3 rod to get starved. Enough for now.

Steve, I spent my childhood summers in Suffolk County on a lake in Ridge. My family frequently traveled out to the North & South forks to visit friends during the summers. These days, when the cars a put away for the winter and if the ice forms on Eastern LI, I'll iceboat on Ronkonkoma, the Connequot River, Great South Bay or Mecox Bay. It's real nice out in your parts...

I assume you mean Lake Panamoka. That's the only lake I know of in Ridge. I love living out here. Although, right now we're being invaded by pumpkin picking tourists. Congrats on your purchase. You have just joined a very tight club. Lots of support. I look forward to meeting you at the Trek.

Thanks for the advice ak. Any other advice is appreciated as well...

You're correct Steve...I started sailing a Sailfish on Panamoka starting at age seven. Played a lot of Army in Brookhaven Lab's woods, which was across the street from my house...the sixteen year olds gave us rides in their muscle cars...a lot of fun.