Kansas city guys. Let's get together.

bb1970

I would like to try get a Kansas City Riviera meet together. We can do this on my property. Seating in my barn. I have hosted about 80 people. 35 + antique cars. Usually a potluck affair and bring booze if you wish. I can supply burgers and soda/water. If we pull this off for the later part of oct. We can incorperate a bon fire. By the way I live east of K.C. 4 miles north of I/70 from the Grain Valley exit. Suggest a date and give me an idea of who might come. PS. Ed if this flys you might be used as a vital part. Maybe get Marty and Rich involved.

PS. Ed if this flys you might be used as a vital part. Maybe get Marty and Rich involved.

You bet,

I'm game, just let me know what you need for me to do. I'll have to drive a new Riviera (90 or 93) nothing quite as cool as a 1st Gen car. What I'll do in the mean time is look at the ROA roster and see who in the area are members then see who else is out there (Rich N. , a guy I know named Dustin who owns a '67) and who ever else we can find.

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64
What could be better! The 4 Bs. Barn, Booze, Burgers, and Buicks. Could make 6 and ad Big Blocks.

Maybe one more - I'm sure a few "Babes" will show up as well lol :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all of you Kansas City area Riv owners (and any others interested,)

B, B, & B (Buicks, brats, and beverages.) But no B & B (barn and bonfire)

Gord Wolfgang and I have been talking about this get together. Bill (BB1970) is tied up with other things so I'm going to host an event. (Bill can reschedule for next spring.) We'll get together at my home on Sat. Nov. 1, around 1:00 PM. I'll furnish the brats and buns. Everyone is asked to bring their choice of beverage and a side dish to go along with the brats.

There's an empty lot across the street from my house and I'll ask the owner for permission to park there (I'll get it mowed nice and short.)

I'd ask that anyone who is coming to reply to this thread and count yourself as we go so we'll have an idea as to how many brats I'll need and you'll have an idea as to what size side dish to bring. If anyone doesn't like brats, bring along a burger patty or a hot dog and we'll throw them on the grill as well. I also ask that you bring along a lawn chair of sorts. I only have so many.

If you have a GPS, you can put my address in and follow it. I will caution you that if you're going south on I-435 (KS side) and your GPS says to take the Holiday Drive exit, you might have to wait on one of the BNSF coal trains - they're quite long and very slow. If you go another half mile south on I-435 to exit 6C (Johnson Drive,) your GPS will recalculate and bring you to my house. If you don't have a GPS, PM me for directions. If you want a phone number, PM me as well. To give you an idea of the area in which I live, I'm about two miles west of I-435 and ten miles south of the Kansas Speedway and Schlitterbaun, home of the Verrückt (the world's tallest water slide.)

I'll start the count with 2 - my wife and me.

Ed

5013 Woodstock St.

Shawnee, KS

PS - don't forget to bring your Riv as well as your side dish and beverages. If your Riv is like mine and in the shop, bring some pictures. Or just come on out anyway.

PPS - Gord, if I've missed anything, let me know.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed, my wife and I are in. May be the last time to get the Riviera out on the road before the snow flies. Pray for a beautiful day.

I sent an email to a few other Riviera guys in the area and asked them to respond directly to you if they plan to attend.

I think you covered everything, I will check with Susan to see what dish "we" plan to bring.

Rock On

gord

Hi Ed - thanks for the invite but that is exactly the day I am scheduled to go pick up my barn find 65 GS in MN that was advertised in the Riview last month. If things change, we would love to get together with everyone as I start my journey into Rivieras. If you are ever in the Des Moines area , please look me up as I would like to meet you and show you my 64 and 67. Kendall Reed

Guest cbreit01

I have a KSU Home Football Game that day, but if its a night game, then I should have time to stop by and eat a brat...or 2 =) I should know the start time by next weekend.

• 5 months later...

Ed, I'm game to plan a date in April or May (not the first weekend in May. I going to the Stray Kat 500). Do you want to have it at my house? Or all meet at the cruise night on Jackson drive on a Sat.? It's actually called Hartman Heritage Center. I know I have seen Gordon there. It's a huge cruise night (as many as 600 cars) every Sat. night. Let me know which is better for everyone. And when. Bill

I think for the first get together, my preference would be to meet at someones home - yours, mine, makes no difference to me. From there as we get to know each other better we could fan out into other events. If we did meet at the cruise, is there any way to keep all of the Rivieras in one group?

Ed

Just that much more for each of us to eat and drink. cbreit01, Kreed, and Gord all responded with interest earlier, hopefully they're still game. Nothing planned for me until St. Charles (but I have yet to check with 'da boss.)

Ed

Ed et al.

Susan and I are in. We do have some weekends accounted for already. The Louisburg show in May, the AACA and the BCA in June, and St Charles are all on the list. We will venture to Jackson Drive on some Saturdays, and the Long Branch on Fridays. Most Sundays are open for us, if that would work for others.

BTW at Jackson you can all park together but you got to get there pretty early and somebody will have to save some spots. The local Buick guys all kind of congregate at the west end of the parking lot. Several Grand Nationals, some GSs, a few 50's, my Riviera and sometimes there are other Rivieras too.

Rock On

gord

Edited by msdminc (see edit history)

How does April 18th sound to everyone? It's a Sat. We can get together at around 3. That will give us at least 3 1/2 hrs. to look at the cars and tell tales before dark sets in. If it all fizzles out quick the Jackson drive car show would be on the way home for all of you. So the night won't be a wash. I'm 4.6 miles north of Grain Valley on I-70. We don't have to do it here. If there is a better spot. Let me know, Bill

Ed will you have any food from here at the Lets get together??

Arthur Bryant's - Urban myth or icon, whichever, but the portions are large; you have to eat at the original, it's just not the same at the ones in the malls. BBQ here in the KC area is all based on personal taste. Fiorrella's Jack Stack, Joe's (formerly known as Oklahoma Joe's,) and Guy Fieri's favorites - RJ's Bob-Be-Que Shack, The Woodyard Bar-B-Q, and Johnnie's BBQ. If you like Jazz to go along with that then there's B B's Lawnside Barb Be Q. It's all a matter of personal taste. Arthur Bryant's is the icon because it was just a hop skip and a jump from the old Municipal Stadium where Satchel Paige and Buck O'Neil played for the Kansas City Monarchs. Ride the street car to the park after church, watch the game, then walk to Bryant's after the game. That was before Charlie Finley brought the A's to Kansas City. Then the Royals came to town, played at Municipal for a couple of years before Kauffmann stadium was built. The game is the same, but the atmosphere is gone. They serve BBQ at "the K" but it's not the same either.

Nick, If you're going to make it, you could bring BBQ as your side dish to go along with the burgers and brats.

Ed

I eat at Arthur Bryant's once a year. We stop at the old location every time we go to our timeshare It about 1/3 of the way..

The neighborhood is a little better than the 1980's when a friend took me there for the first time.. White wonder bread and paper plates..

I like to take my wife to this one someday..

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

Ed is this still in a residential neighborhood -1989, Boulevard Brewing Company. We ate at the original site in 1990..It was just a start up..

Here is one car. I will have to look for the 1955 we had..

post-97742-143143052673_thumb.jpg

post-97742-143143053964_thumb.jpg

post-97742-143143053967_thumb.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Ed is this still in a residential neighborhood -1989, Boulevard Brewing Company. We ate at the original site in 1990..It was just a start up..

The Boulevard Brewing Co. is in a tract of industrial sites on Southwest Boulevard. They've been expanding big time since you were here. They must take up a quite a bit of space now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boulevard+brewing+co.&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6UYdVefyBoOmNuGvg8AE&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw#tbm=isch&q=boulevard+brewing+co.

Close the the brewery is the Rotisserie Coffee company. The static display of a DC-3 is becoming quite an icon.

http://www.theroasterie.com/blog/the-roasterie-mug-shot-photo-contest-win-a-cupping-for-4/

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest cbreit01

Just checking...is this a "Rain or Shine" event =) 80% chance of rain predicted for Saturday in KC/Buckner area. I drive my Riviera everyday, so a little h2o doesn't hurt it. =)

Just checking...is this a "Rain or Shine" event =) 80% chance of rain predicted for Saturday in KC/Buckner area. I drive my Riviera everyday, so a little h2o doesn't hurt it. =)

I'm game if you are. The count has dwindled a bit. We are down to a possible 5 car owners. So the shindig has been moved to the house for sure. As the trek to the barn can be sketchy when wet. I wish we could have pulled this off right. I wanted to make an entrance at the Jackson Drive cruise night. I'll park mine by the road to mark the house. So look for an orange Riv on the west side of the road. Bill