engine oil

bob duffer

I went up to Napa Auto parts to get oil for my 56 (312 engine)

I told him i wanted Rotella T 15W-40 and he was shocked. "Your not putting that in there are you?"

I said yes -He said well, that's your choice-

I read on all the Thunderbird sites that this is the correct oil

Why are auto shops so freaked out about this?

• 2 months later...
Guest Ian57Tbird

I believe it is designed for diesel engines and would have an extremely high detergent levels for a gas engine as well as over additives that are not suitable. This subject has come up on the YBlock forum and the general consensus is that it is not good and may be accelerating wear. From what I recall Ted Eaton said that, someone held in very high regard when it comes to building YBlocks.

Ian57Tbird,

Please read the below listed articles. They speak for themselves.

http://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/EngineOil.php and http://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/EngineOil2.php

Personally I've used Shell Rotella 15W40 without problem in my car over the last several years. I doubt there is any problem with a high detergent oil as long as the engine isn't full of sludge (mine isn't). Also I doubt that it makes much difference if the car is only being driven a few thousand miles a year. Just my opinion on that one.

Regards,

Lew

Guest Ian57Tbird

Thanks Lew.

I do recall reading those articals several years back. I have have no experiance with that oil but always run oil with a high zinc content.

I'm only quoting someone who is extremely highly regarded with building YBlocks and other engines (he races a YBlock) and he has mentioned that engines that have been running on diesel oils seem to have signs of increased wear.

Regards,

Ian.

I use Rotella T 15/40 in both of my YBlock cars. The 56 Bird has made two transcontinental trips plus a bunch of other miles with this oil with no adverse effects so far as I can see. I replaced the rear main seal two years ago, pulled the crank to do it and checked all the bearings. No problems there, didn't even change the bearings. I also use it in the modified 312 in my 54 Ford, again with no known adverse effects. I don't have the amount of miles on this car as the 56, but I do use it a lot.

The Rotella has a high ZDDP content

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest slumlord44

Rotella T is supposed to be good. Isky recommends 15/40 Valvoline Racing Oil with a new cam for break in and daily use.