Oil Bath Air Cleaner

I might be overthinking this, but after cleaning the air filter on my '41, I want to put in some new oil. Manual calls for 2 pints of 50w oil. I know the oil is just a medium for catching the debris, but does it matter if its non-detergent, synthetic, or 15w-50? I can't find straight SAE 50 non-detergent oil, so was curious what others have used. Thanks in advance!

Dave

Try your auto parts store for 50 weight. It does make a difference. I know someone who used 10W30 in the filter in a Dodge truck, on a rough road you should have seen the blue cloud out behind. Thin oil splashes around too much and gets in the engine.

Detergent or non detergent doesn't matter and one quart will last you for about 40,000 miles.

Drain the base and wipe clean with rags or cotton waste. Swish the filter in a pan of Varsol or cleaning solvent, and let drip dry. Do not blow air thru it, you will make channels and spoil the filter. Pour a little oil in the filter, fill the base to the line and reassemble.

The cheapest oil is fine. The good part is, if you drive on paved roads, not on the desert, you should only have to service the air cleaner every 10,000 miles or less. Take the top off at tuneup time, if the base is no more than half full of dirt, just top up the oil if necessary and let it go at that.

One quart will refill the air cleaner 3 or 4 times.