326 6 cylinder tappet adjustment

Guest vintage honeycomb

Guest vintage honeycomb

Hello from Australia,

I recently posted a question about bent valve stems to suit my 23 inch disc wheels, hopefully this will be solved in couple of weeks when I visit Universal Tyres in Hershey on my way to the swap. They offered to vulcanize bent stems to the tubes for me, tubes $33 each, $10 for the stems and $7 each for the vulcanizing. I will pick up 6 modified tubes from their office and problem fixed, I hope!

Now the next question. I have a mechanic about to look at the tappets on the Packard engine, I feel they are a little noisy, I thought it won't hurt to have them checked. I gave him the 2 Packard books I bought from the US club over the past few years, one is a parts list and the other is part 1 of the service manual.

His question to me was, "where is part 2 of the service book", after looking at what he was saying I can understand his question. The service book has part 1 on the inside front cover and in the book it often refers to "see part 2" which we assume is another book?

Whilst reading up on the tappet adjustment he noticed service tool ST216 mentioned to hold the tappet from rotating while the engine is running. He has noticed in other articles and forums that some owners do the tappets with the engine stopped rather than with it running? Is there any opinions out there as to which is the better method, why with the motor running and why with it stopped. I can understand the stopped engine may be easier with oil and hot exhaust etc.

Any comments please, where do we get part 2 of this manual, is it out there?

Who adjusts tappets running and why and who does them still and why?

Looking forward to your responses on this one.

Cheers

Greg

Greg,

Can't help with part 2 of the manual.

I have adjusted mine a few times and would award a gold medal to anyone who can adjust them with the engine running although that is what is recommended. It is even more difficult (impossible?) to adjust the back ones behind the steering box on our RH drive cars. I will very interested to know if it can be done.

I under stand the correct settings are 0.004" hot or 0.006" cold. I set mine a couple of thou mote than that just to be safe - without the engine running.

David Australia

• 1 month later...

With some of the HOTTR burning gas,,,you may need lot more clearence,,

the engine will loose power and overheat the ally floorboard hotfoot,,haha

been there done that,,,the engine may stall at idle,,,,and have no compression

starter will not have the usual sound,,,,,steady,,no comp',,,Cheers,,Ben