Parts catalogs and repair

Joseph44

Hi Guys need help on locating parts catalogs and repair manuals for 1976 olds 442 with a 455ci motor. Need Prints for cruise control, ac mounting, if anyone can help with this And can send to my e mail I would greatly appreciate your help. I will say thanks in advance!!!!

Try www.wildaboutcars.com . They have a bunch of Olds factory manuals already scanned in but not sure about 76. I think there may be a 1976 Cutlass assembly manual print out there too- I know I have one for 1974. Short of that, a 1976 Oldsmobile factory Chassis Service Manual and Fisher Body Manual will help you a lot here.

I think someone on classicoldsmobile.com was trying to sell a 1976 edition parts catalog a couple weeks back. Best ones to get are those that cover not only your year, but several years prior. As in my 1974 book covers 1949-74 Olds.

As in my 1974 book covers 1949-74 Olds.

Although in decreasing fidelity as the model year gets further away from the parts book publishing date. Note that Oldsmobile and GM periodically updated parts books to eliminate deleted parts and show part numbers that had been superceded. This is not particularly useful is you are trying to correctly restore an older vehicle. For example, there is a widely-available version of the Olds parts book that supposedly covers the 1964-1974 model years, however the printing date of this book is August 1983. This edition only reflects those parts still in the system as of Aug 83, which is precious few for the older cars. Even worse, it doesn't reflect original part numbers, only currently available ones. As an example, by 1983 (and even earlier), there were only two big block Olds head castings still available in the parts system, the smog-motor J head and the non-automotive-use K head. The J head is shown in this parts book edition as the applicable head for all big block Olds applications back to 1965 except for the performance applications, which show the K head. This is why some people advertise K heads as "factory replacements" for the W-30 D and F heads. Unfortunately, the fact that they are shown as the only ones available at the time does not make them equivalent from a performance or flow standpoint.

To the original question, be aware that there is far less material available for the 1973-77 cars than for the more popular 64-72 cars. An Assembly Manual is one document that you could really use, however I've never seen one offered for the 76 cars. The Chassis Service Manual and Fisher Body Manual are available used on ebay routinely.