20" wheels for "65 flat black riviera

Chefcg1

Hey everyone, I'm new to the Riviera scene as I just bought my 65 last week. she is painted flat black and I'm looking to put 20" wheels on her and wanted some feed back on my choices.

post-103228-143142734807_thumb.jpg

I'm looking at 20"x8.5" up front and 20"x10" rear. The wheels I'm considering are the BOSS 338, Coy C-5, Ridler 695 (chrome or grey with polished lip for all of them). I realize all these look almost exactly alike, but wanted to know if quality was different with any of these choices. Ridler's are the cheapest $1050, Boss 338 $1200, Coy c-5 $1500. I'm leaning towards the ridler's because of price, but Im still open to other suggestions. Also what do you guys think would look best, chrome or grey with polished lip? Thanks!!!!!!

I'm running the boss 304's 20x8.5 all the way around.. When I Change them I'm going to run a 20x10 in the rear, had to use a 1" spacer to get them to fit the way I like in the back.

B2AE31D7-0F12-43DB-9C5A-D8F4C974400E_zpsozcbsuyx.jpg

5F8A3BC2-884B-4328-BAAA-8CC7517E70EE_zpsluywdjfx.jpg

Looks good, Offset is what will be the decision maker I think as I want the deepest dish possible

Guest KS-Competition

Looking awsome with those big rims. How low can you ride it and still turn the wheels without scraping the fenders or frame? Did you have to modify the rear inner fenders to get the wheel out that far? Backspacing? What set up on suspension do you have?

I am planning to do something like this to my own ride this winter and have some difficulties deciding what rimssizes to use and what airride system to fit.

Casey, tell me cause I hear of others saying not to bag it, just use jamco 3" or coil overs with good shocks, what is the ride compared to, how low can you drive with it, handling , cost , what if a bag pops and is there pitfalls you have experienced!

Guest KS-Competition
Pm sent snake

Chefcg1 they are going to look good!!Maybe one day I switch mine up and go with some 338.

Please share your experience , good or bad, as i am also looking to install bags.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm running the boss 304's 20x8.5 all the way around.. When I Change them I'm going to run a 20x10 in the rear, had to use a 1" spacer to get them to fit the way I like in the back.

B2AE31D7-0F12-43DB-9C5A-D8F4C974400E_zpsozcbsuyx.jpg

5F8A3BC2-884B-4328-BAAA-8CC7517E70EE_zpsluywdjfx.jpg

I got my wheels on this evening, sorry to dark to get good picture will do one tomorrow. But I had a question as my boss center caps wont fit over the front hubs and I see in your picture that yours fit? did you have to change the hub caps with a lower profile?

good to hear about the brake conversion, it may be one of my winter projects. Did you do front and rear or just fronts?

Well I spoke to fast about fitment. It seems that my rears are hitting my exhaust on the inner side as it goes over the axel. I didn't notice it when I put them on as the rear was jacked up, but I guess when I lowered it down it makes contact. I think a 7/16" spacer all the way around will remedy all my issues and keep everything even.

well the drama continues. I tried the wheel spacers in the rear, but my studs are not long enough!!!! It seems they do not make longer studs. Not sure what I'm going to try at this point. I may try a close wheel stud size and see if that will work in something close to 2" in length. I saw Dorman makes 6120-449 which is close to the rear specs....Thoughts anyone?

You don't have to find longer studs. I'm running 1" spacers on my truck. They have there own studs for mounting my wheels.

I think Casey (Cstang) has the same type of spacers on his Riv.

BTW…welcome to the forum. Your ride is looking sharp. Thx for sharing. Pls fill in your profile with at least a first name…we are all humans here lol

David

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

David,

What you're running are usually called wheel adapters - bolt it to the axle, then bolt the wheel to the adapter; they come in various widths. Spacers are just that - holes in a disk that require you to use the existing lug bolts and nuts.

I purchased just 1/4 inch spacers. and just did not have enough thread to mount safely. So I went ahead and purchased a set of ET lugs and see if that will give me at least 10 turns on the lugs so that I feel safe with there mounting.

I took your advice & RivNut's and took some time and filled out my profile with some more information, uploaded some photo's....now I'm a person...YEAH!

I ended up purchasing some 1" spacers for the rear that worked just fine. I may use the 1/4 spacer in the front to get past the Hub center dust cap and be able to mount my center caps that came with the Boss wheels. The issue with adding the spacer up front would be that the car is lowered about 2" and the wheels rub when turning tightly and if I push the fronts out more I may shorten that clearance even more, so for now I'm leaving it alone while I work on other Riviera projects. Some pics below.

post-103228-14314280473_thumb.jpg

post-103228-14314280464_thumb.jpg

post-103228-143142804664_thumb.jpg

post-103228-143142804685_thumb.jpg

post-103228-143142804707_thumb.jpg

Well the main thing i took out of this thread is that i should not have much of a problem if i go with 17s:o Thanks for that fellas. Good luck with your 20s, but i like to be able to use the whole turn radius and not worry about chewing up tires. By the way, if i didn't say it before, i really like the flat black paint. I read the car craft article where they shot a whole car in rustoleum pro flat black and after seeing yours i am definitely leaning that way now.