20" wheels for "65 flat black riviera

Chefcg1

Remember the circumference is the same on the wheels its the width that makes the difference and the fact that I'm lowered 2". I'm probably a 1/4" from full lock and I think I can improve that with a little work, but I need a second set of hands and a day off to move forward on that.

The circumference is the same between 17" wheels and 20" wheels? How do you figure?

its the overall package with tires, Factory wheels are 15" and have a diameter of 725mm/28.8inch. my 20" with tires are 728mm/28.7inch a .4% difference. We are keeping the overall diameter as close as possible so that the car has the same speedo reading and handling characteristics. The width is what has changed and thus the rubbing. Check out the link bellow it give a good idea of fitment.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/1965/88505/buick_riviera_401_v-8.html

Gotcha. Yea, i am keeping mine with the original stance, so no lowering, but i will probably play with the tiREs when i get to them to get what i want under it without rubbing. I would like to go 235 or 245/60 in the front and 275/60 in the back if at all possible, but i guess we will see.

Edited by devildog93 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I think a 5mm. Offset up front would have solved the issue. I would not go wider than a 245 tire up front as I think you will start hitting the fender when turning. The rears I would go with a 10mm offset to clear factory exhaust. You have tones of space so width is not an issue.

Exhaust won't be an issue. I will be remaking the exhaust from the manifolds back and will likely be dumping them just in front of the wheels. The exhaust was rusted out from the rear wheels back, so i cut it and dumped them in front of the rear wheels to experiment and see what it sounded like. With no muffler and straight pipes it still isn't real obnoxious. i will likely be experimenting with a glass pack or something then some turn-downs to send it away from the car and towards the ground and see what it sounds like there. After i try a couple of things i will get set on one thing or another and get to mocking it up. I will likely be another month in body work before i even get to that though.

I don't suppose the fronts have to be 245, it was just a leaning. 225 will be just fine. The rears are the important part for traction if i get it to the power level i am expecting but i still want it to keep a similar stance to yours. Just a quick, fun drive back and forth to work car that can cruise comfortably on the highway or hang out with the hot rod crew around town and not be the fat kid so to speak. A little sleeper action would be nice.

275's in the rear should give you plenty of traction, unless you get over 500hp or torque then I would look into going 285's.

youll have to post what you end up with mufflers, with sound clips. My exhaust is in great shape, but I'm going to probably try some different mufflers after I put my headers on this winter.

the car looks really good i like how those rims look on there. what kind of mufflers are you running? i have magnpacks on mine right now but thinking of changing it up soon..

Thanks! to be honest I have no idea what's on the car now, I just know that it looks in good shape.

, unless you get over 500hp or torque then I would look into going 285's.

500 hp? Not out of a nailhead unless it's built for race only. You gotta' remember that the 325 horsepower 401 had the hp measured at the flywheel. And the manufacturers were probably a little over exuberant when they claimed that. One of the guy's over on the V8Buick.com website, who is dynoing his 468 cid blown nailhead is getting 426 hp at the flywheel and 349 at the rear wheels. Today's cars are pushing 600+ hp at the rear wheels. If you're trying to build a race Riviera, and want gobs of hp, you should probably swap a new crate motor into your car. :)

Ed

500 hp? Not out of a nailhead unless it's built for race only. You gotta' remember that the 325 horsepower 401 had the hp measured at the flywheel. And the manufacturers were probably a little over exuberant when they claimed that. One of the guy's over on the V8Buick.com website, who is dynoing his 468 cid blown nailhead is getting 426 hp at the flywheel and 349 at the rear wheels. Today's cars are pushing 600+ hp at the rear wheels. If you're trying to build a race Riviera, and want gobs of hp, you should probably swap a new crate motor into your car. :)

Ed

That was kind of the point I was making, that 275's in the rear should be plenty of traction!