Brake Shoe width is...wierd

Guest tvjake228

Guest tvjake228

I have a problem. I am replacing the brake shoes on the front of my 1951 Buick Super Riviera and ordered a set from Rock Auto. They came, I installed them and then could not get the brake drum to go back on. I pulled it apart several times thinking I put something in backwards...nope. Then I looked at the width of the brake shoe and it seemed wider than the shoes that had been on the car. I measured the new shoe and it was the called out 2.25". I measured the old shoe and it is 1.75". I researched the shoes on several different parts sites and they all refer to my car as the larger shoe. I searched for the 1.75" wide shoe and cannot find them except for Ford trucks and trailers.

HELP! What the heck is going on? Where do I find replacement shoes in the smaller width? Why would my car be different than what appears to be a standard size?

Thanks!

Guest shadetree77

I went through the exact same scenario with my '52. Rockauto sent the wrong size and I sent them back. Good to see they took my suggestion and changed their database......:mad:. If you installed them make sure you clean them up good before you ship them back. Rockauto has a policy where if you have already installed the part (and gotten it dirty or scarred up) they will not take it back. I cleaned mine up really good. They went back reeking of brake cleaner but they took them back.:D

It's just not Rock Auto's database that is incorrect. The error starts with the parts manufacturers like Raybestos. If you go into their database, you'll see that they've listed the larger size for pretty much all the models. My '50 Special uses the smaller size as well, and this size seems to have been discontinued years ago. Bob's and CARS is sourcing them from somewhere. Kanter I think lists the correct size as well. I originally thought my shoes were no good, but it turned out I just need to put on new rubber brake lines and rebuild the Master Cylinder. Lining on shoes is near exact to the Shop Manual, so someone must have changed them at some point when the correct size was still available. Current brake system is holding pressure quite well now. Also be careful when ordering wheel cylinders. My suggestion is go back to the Parts Manual, or find someone who can look up the original sizes (shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, etc.) up for you. The correct replacement linings also come up as NOS on eBay every so often. I think the trick though is finding someone who still does brake re-lining. Some truck repair places may still do it.

beerczar1976 is correct. If there is contact information to the brake shoe manufacturer you should give them a call. Rock Auto only lists what the company supplying them says will fit. If you get in contact with the manufacturer, and tell them the correct application, they can have everything changed in a day or two. That is, if they're motivated to do so.

Guest tvjake228

I just contacted Rock Auto and even though I'm out of the return policy (on time) they will give me a 5 day window to return them. That's pretty good. I doubt they will communicate anything to the manufacturers and indeed it seems as though the manufacturers have no interest in making the correct brake shoe.

I did contact a local brake shoe relining shop and they quoted me $75 without seeing the old shoes. It would also take 1-2 weeks to get them relined. As you have all mentioned, both CARS and BOB's have the shoes. They have two different prices. CARS doesn't have the best parts descriptions so I can't tell if the $55 price for theirs is for one wheel or two - I've sent them a question about it. BOB's is $113 with a $60 core return credit so it could be that the prices are similar.

For such a common part it would seem that they would want to get it right.

Do yourself a favor and save future aggravation. Send ALL of the shoes back to RockAuto. Take your old shoes to a local brake/clutch rebuilder and specify lining material that will stop 2 tons of Buick...softer, more aggressive, better friction coefficient... Also take the drums and have them turned if not already turned; this way they can arc the linings to the drums and there will be no break-in period. Shoes from local or internet parts stores, and Buick suppliers are all too hard and will not stop the car! Especially Raybestos brand. You will spend considerably more than those RockAuto shoes, but you will have brakes.

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/brakes-ii-227946.html

Willie

Guest tvjake228
Do yourself a favor and save future aggravation. Send ALL of the shoes back to RockAuto. Take your old shoes to a local brake/clutch rebuilder and specify lining material that will stop 2 tons of Buick...softer, more aggressive, better friction coefficient... Also take the drums and have them turned if not already turned; this way they can arc the linings to the drums and there will be no break-in period. Shoes from local or internet parts stores, and Buick suppliers are all too hard and will not stop the car! Especially Raybestos brand. You will spend considerably more than those RockAuto shoes, but you will have brakes.

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/brakes-ii-227946.html

Willie

Thanks for the recommendation. I had already purchased a new set from CARS and they were more than double the cost from Rock Auto so I'm assuming they are re-lined. If they have trouble stopping the car then I'll go to your solution. The brakes on my car are straight un-boosted hydraulic.

I sent RockAuto a complaint letter telling them that they stock the wrong part number and that they could sell more, and reduce returns, if they stock the right part or just remove the incorrect listing. So this is their response:

[TABLE=class: cf gJ]

<tbody>[TR=class: acZ]

[TD=class: gF gK][TABLE=class: cf ix, width: 447]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD][h=3]Monroe Brakes <MBrakes@tenneco.com>[/h][/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: gH, align: right]7:28 AM (3 hours ago)

cleardot.gif

[/TD]

[TD=class: gH acX, align: right]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: acZ xD]

[TD=colspan: 3][TABLE=class: cf adz, width: 611]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: ady]to me

cleardot.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Thank you for your interest in Monroe Brake products.

We are aware that the Buicks came with different sized rear brakes. Monroe only offers the 2 1/4', not the 1 3/4" or the 2 1/2".

For further questions or assistance, please contact technical assistance at 800-201-6506 M - F 8:30am - 5:30pm EST.

Monroe Brakes Team Member,

This is not the smartest answer I've seen before and it was rather disappointing. I didn't say anything about rear brakes. If they only stock that size that's fine; it's stupid that they show it as a choice for cars that they don't fit.

Guest tvjake228
A '52 through '56 Roadmasters take a 2 1/2" wide shoe.

They are the same shoe as the '68 Cadillac.

Yes, but all these take the 1.75" and they list them as the 2.25.

1936-1951 Special and Super Front

1936-1955 Special (Series 40) Rear

1940-1952 Super (Series 50)