unknown engine

jajolee

I agree that it might be a Chevrolet six cylinder probably an early 235. The "might be" comes from the fuel pump and the starter mountings seem wrong. Where the crankcase breather would mount has a bolted plate mounted and the earlier motors had a push in collector with a tube on it. So maybe it's not a GM after all.

Disagree. Not Chevy as even the starters on the early ones were mounted on this side. Also the serial is in the wrong location. A lead is to look for an engine with the pushrod tubes pressed in the head like this one. Dandy Dave!

I'm beginning to think this is not domestic product. I haven't found anything produced on this side of the pond which is a good match - yet. Hoping someone might prove me wrong. Jan is in the Netherlands which might expand the search considerably. We have all been concentrating on cars - how about trucks? Doesn't look like Cornbinder, though.

Terry

Is it a petrol version of an older Bedford engine? 1950's and 60's. Like the fellows sometimes use to convert for use in there Fordson Major Diesels. They stretch the hood and frame and drop in a 6 in exchange for the factory 4. Oh, and $20 sound like scrap price or less. Dandy Dave!

Digging deeper, the OY series was used extensively in war production vehicles starting in 1939... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Vehicles Even though it is quite stripped, if it is a good core engine, I'm sure collectors of these vintage Bedford vehicles would love to have it. Dandy Dave!